Bhw tensioner pulley

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Both my a/c and accessory belt tensioner pulley bearings are shot. Can I buy just the pulleys or do I have to buy the whole tensioner assembly? I can't seem to find the pulleys by themselves in any of the usual spots I buy parts for vws, bora, id, rockauto, etc...

TIA.

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Does anyone have an answer to the question above? I am in similar situation, as the AC tensioner pulley probably needs to be replaced. The dealer has the whole thing for $120, though the the pulley unit itself looks standard and looks like it should cost 15 bucks.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I've never seen the pulleys sold separately, but you should be able to get a good quality OEM replacement tensioner for ~$90 from any of the suppliers who support this website.

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
It looks like you can get a decent aftermarket AC pulley online for about $35. Search for "Continental Elite 49061". You can also find Gates or AC Delco branded tensioners for a good price.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
That's the same price that I can get on the A/C belt tensioner from World Impex. The Serpentine belt tensioner is $90.

Last edited:

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
A/c belt tensioner was like $12 from rockauto but you have to look it up for a Passat with a 1.8t. Same part number as the tdi a/c tensioner on rockauto but half the price.