2005 Passat wagon auto to 5sp

y22man

Veteran Member
Hello All,

I am a TDI owner again. After a long TDI drought I bought a 2005 Passat wagon. The auto is shot. The only other thing reported in the VAGCOM is 1 glow plug issue. It is pretty clean for a 13 year old car.

I plan on doing a auto to manual swap. After doing some research and looking around I am going do try to source a FHN with a Malone stage 1. The only other thing I need to decide is clutch.

I have been reading that the Valeo struggles after 15,000 or so miles. Those could be one offs. I have seen some expensive solutions with Witbread.

What are your suggestions on the clutch. Go with Frans valeo or a different solution?

Jay

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Franz set me up with the valeo and a single mass flywheel. I have stage 2 tuning. 30K miles, no problem. I see you are in Wyoming, so lots of highway miles. The high ratio FHN will probably be good for you. If a lot less highway miles or towing probably the DUC would be fine, Good luck with your project, it is worth it.

y22man

Veteran Member
Thanks, actually Salt Lake City Utah. Looks like I might go with a Sachs or a luk. No towing, only family drives and work commute.

Spring1898

Veteran Member
I have had a sachs/luk combo in my 6 speed conversion for 65k km or 40k miles. I was told that maxes out around 350lb ft of torque.

Currently around 170-180hp (Colt Cam, BV43a turbo, and tune). Not the hardest driver though but I have towed a decent amount when necessary.
If I went up in power, I would probably have to get a beefier clutch, but I seem to be pretty much maxed out fuel delivery wise.

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
The clutch selection is a hard one and if you go cheap it won't last. The whitbeard solution is a good option and one that is mechanically solid. I did two conversions I used a South Bend daily stage 3 with a LUK DMF flywheel in both. I have 20 k on on my first swap with not problem. It does require more force to activated the pedal. It is a bit cheaper than the whitbeard clutch but not significantly (about $200). The clutch is smooth with no chater. I also have a stage one tune. You will need to get your ECU changed over to a manual transmission to make everything work correctly. For a few additional $ a stage one tune will get you a lot better performance and fuel economy.

y22man

Veteran Member
I did order the conversion from Frans. Trans came quick. 4 days after payment. I am waiting on everything else to arrive. Frans sold me a Sachs. Not sure the model just yet. I will get the Malone stage 1 once I have everything.

I just want to confirm the model Sachs that Frans is sending me.

Jay

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
Do yourself a favor and buy a braided clutch hydraulic line, as the stock line you get through a kit is a PITA to install. We're doing the install this week ourselves and we're going to finish the clutch line tomorrow. I live in Salt Lake City as well if you need help/pointers. Let me know.

simonbee

TDI
2005 Passat 2L TDI
I second MagnumVW comment. My first conversion the clutch line was a snap, but my second one was a royal pain...... I damaged the master cylinder and had to replace it.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The stainless clutch line install is very painless however IF and this is a huge IF you remeber to remove/install the hard line while the engine/tranny is out it is very easy to remove and install.

y22man

Veteran Member
If you ordered from Frans how long did it take to receive all the parts? The transmission arrived in 4 days. I thought sweet. But all of the rest of the kit are still mia. All comunication with Dutch auto parts they say it will arrive soon. Going on 4 weeks since ordering, and the remaining items still have not shipped.

Jay

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
If you ordered from Frans how long did it take to receive all the parts? The transmission arrived in 4 days. I thought sweet. But all of the rest of the kit are still mia. All comunication with Dutch auto parts they say it will arrive soon. Going on 4 weeks since ordering, and the remaining items still have not shipped.

Jay
Honestly it took forever to receive everything as well. I only ordered the Trans and the pedal assembly from him, and the last of that order arrived on on September 20th, which I had paid for on Aug 28th. I got my flywheel and the clutch kit from other domestic sources that arrived in a more timely manner.

It was a little bit of pain to wait, and I had to rearrange my vacation plans with my job, but it was worth it in the end to get it installed.

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
Looks like the remaining items shipped today. Yippie!
Did your stuff arrive and did you get the install finished yet? What transmission fluid did you/will you put in it? I used Redline MTL because a gallon of it was gifted to me, but this transmission shifts differently than the 02J on the Mk4's that I've driven so I'd like to know if you went with something different and if it shifts well.
I feel like my clutch disk is still breaking in/mating up properly with the surfaces it touches. It grabs rather abruptly when going from a dead stop with the heavy duty pressure plate I have from Clutch Masters. I hope that it continues to smooth out with time and use.
Who are you going with for the tuning for your car to get it coded to manual? I still haven't gotten that done for my car yet. I'm waiting to borrow tune loader from someone who lent it out to someone else who is taking a long time to get it back.
Keep me posted about your MPGs as well. I only got 33.5 mpg according to the computer on my 100 mile drive home from where I did my swap, but that was on old fuel and with my bulky roof rails on my wagon. I also had a dust shield dragging on the rotor that probably affected things. I haven't done another 10+ mile highway trip in it again yet to see if things might be better now, since I live 4.5 miles from work and don't have any highways on the route. When we bought the car I had a 15 mile one-way commute. Around town I can get about 30mpg if I don't hit very many red lights.

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
Is your balance shaft chain driven?
Nah I did the BSM delete a while back. It's had the treatment of straight diesel purge too within the last few thousand miles.

The clutch is breaking in more and more, giving me much more controller and smoother starts. Still waiting to get it tuned, driving on an expired temp tag.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The stainless clutch line install is very painless however IF and this is a huge IF you remeber to remove/install the hard line while the engine/tranny is out it is very easy to remove and install.

Yup! This is the key to an easy install. I found out the hard way.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Nah I did the BSM delete a while back. It's had the treatment of straight diesel purge too within the last few thousand miles.
The clutch is breaking in more and more, giving me much more controller and smoother starts. Still waiting to get it tuned, driving on an expired temp tag.

Have a good look at the boost hose that comes out of the turbo and goes into the frame tube. If it was rubbing on anything and shows wear, get another one as it won't last long with anything other than a stock level tune.

y22man

Veteran Member
Did your stuff arrive and did you get the install finished yet? What transmission fluid did you/will you put in it? I used Redline MTL because a gallon of it was gifted to me, but this transmission shifts differently than the 02J on the Mk4's that I've driven so I'd like to know if you went with something different and if it shifts well.
I feel like my clutch disk is still breaking in/mating up properly with the surfaces it touches. It grabs rather abruptly when going from a dead stop with the heavy duty pressure plate I have from Clutch Masters. I hope that it continues to smooth out with time and use.
Who are you going with for the tuning for your car to get it coded to manual? I still haven't gotten that done for my car yet. I'm waiting to borrow tune loader from someone who lent it out to someone else who is taking a long time to get it back.
Keep me posted about your MPGs as well. I only got 33.5 mpg according to the computer on my 100 mile drive home from where I did my swap, but that was on old fuel and with my bulky roof rails on my wagon. I also had a dust shield dragging on the rotor that probably affected things. I haven't done another 10+ mile highway trip in it again yet to see if things might be better now, since I live 4.5 miles from work and don't have any highways on the route. When we bought the car I had a 15 mile one-way commute. Around town I can get about 30mpg if I don't hit very many red lights.
Sorry, I did not see this update until today. Life gets in the way.

I am going with a Malone auto to manual and stage 1 tune. I ordered this last Friday, but I have not see any shipping info for the rental flashzilla nothing from them. I will call on Monday.

The parts did arrive. It looks like it is all here. I am going to start this afternoon on the conversion. The car is on the trailer and I am going to pull it into my brother in laws shop in his back yard.

What is the part number for the stainless clutch line?

This will become my commuter vehicle. I do not have a very long commute to work. Once done I will probably do the Riverton, Parleys, Provo canyon drive to see how it all shakes out. And then do an extended flatter route to Wendover to see mileage. But the wind gets nasty on the salt flats stretch sometimes.

Jay

Last edited:

y22man

Veteran Member
Day 1 is down. We only had about 4 hours today. tcm, shifter is out. We wanted to end on getting the auto out. We ran into some pretty sticky bolts on the cv axels. Striped 2. This took most of our time. We got over that hurdle. We removed all of the bell housing bolts but the top bolt. That one is a bugger to get too. We have one more bolt on the passenger frame mount. That is tough to get too as well. Tomorrow is anther day.

Jay

y22man

Veteran Member
I do have a question. Is there a difference between a FHN and a GGB trans? I ordered an FHN. I found the code today and it is a GGB.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
FHN and a GGB share the same gear ratios.

FHN was in production 2003 and earlier, and the GGB was in production 2003 and later.

y22man

Veteran Member
What is the gear oil spec for the GGB.

I can not find much on this tranny. What was the vehicle used the GGB?

Jay