Any Advantages of Oversize Tires?

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I can understand a certain attraction for oversize tires (e.g., looks, cornering, maybe) but is there any real advantage versus the downsides? Most oversize tires will be heavier, meaning increased unsprung weight. A larger diameter will mean less mechanical advantage, therefore higher loads on the engine and transmission, especially an auto tranny. Wheel well clearance and speedometer error are other obvious issues.

Any comments?

I'm due for my 4th set of (non-winter) tires - 2 sets of OEM MX4s lasted ~45K miles each and the more recent set of Falken Ziex's are worn out at 35K but the Falkens were hardly half the cost of the Michelins, of course. Fuel consumption and handling has been identical for both brands.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Jab,
I recently put on a pair of taller (winter) tires on the 16" stock front wheels of my Jetta. Using my GPS, I noticed my speedo is now almost spot on (before it was off by a few mph), but my odometer is now off by ~7% due to the larger circumference tire.

Cornering has suffered a bit, but it's probably because I'm running studded snow tires (less rubber hitting the road) combined with a taller tire (about 1 inch more rubber between the wheel & the road)...but performance, obviously, wasn't the reason for the seasonal change of tire.

I have noticed mileage go up about 1 mpg, but that could also be a result of other factors (normal fluctuation in driving habits, just had my 10k oil change, no need for a/c anymore, etc).

...just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Usually, +1 and +2 oversize go for wider, but not larger circumference. Your comments on weight are right on, most of the time. Sometimes, comparing steel wheels to a +1 alloy wheel will produce similar if not lighter mass comparisons, so that penalty is not present.

You should get improved handling, but in my case I would not expect such unless I also improved other parts of the suspension (e.g. strut bearings, struts, shocks, bushings...).

In theory, if you have more tread on the ground, and the tire compounds are similar, then the tire should last longer. Interesting that they rarely do ...

Morse

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle, 05 cummins (8,040 pounds-13.47 quarter mile), Dodge half ton cummins (nines on the way)
I'm about to go to a taller tire as well.. I purchased a 2'' lift, so I'm a little unsure on what size to go with without rubbing. I don't want wider either. I'm sure it would look better, though jumping from a 205 to a 215 or 225 will add a couple pounds per tire.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
well my winters are stock size (195 45r 15) and when i drag it, i get alot of wheel spin, but when i upgraded to summers (215 45ZR 17) and alloy 17" rims, dragging never been better. almost little to no wheel spin. acceleration feels smoother and cornering feels tighter.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
TAller Skinnier Lighter = improved mpgs , 70 , 75 , 80 series mean less turns per mile and less friction

TAller Fatter Heavier = lower mpgs , 60 50 40 series mean normally more turns per miles and more friction .

Wider tires make for better cornering & stopping in dry conditions . Stopping in the wet , not so good .

Narrower tire make not as good cornering & longer stopping distances in dry conditions . Stopping can be better in the wet though .

Morse

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle, 05 cummins (8,040 pounds-13.47 quarter mile), Dodge half ton cummins (nines on the way)
I'm having trouble deciding wether to go with a 205 60 16 (25.7''), or a 205 65 16 (26.5''). The tires I run now are 205 55 16 (24.9''). I just don't want to get carried away, and get a tire that rubs. I like the michelin tires weight, though the kumho tires are much cheaper in price. The Kumho tires are also a couple pounds heavier per tire. I can't decide.. Nothing like one extreme to the other.. =)

vansterdam

TDI
none
Really you shouldn't mess too much with your tire height. Your car was designed for a certain tire height. A larger tire puts more stress on components like suspension and brakes. Vehicle computers like ABS could fail as well. This tire calculator recommends staying within 3% of your stock tire height.