Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
From what I am seeing here (looking at the bulb socket) both the 1156 and the 7507 would fit. The difference between the two is that the 7505 has the prongs at 9 and 4, where the 1156 has them at 9 and 3. The bulb socket seems to accommodate both. If buyers wish to be safe 7507 would be the safe bet, but I also see no reason why 1156 does not fit into this socket as well. Just so everyone knows, I am sitting here with a socket in front of me with a 1156 bulb in it. Instructions from the headlight manufacturer list 1156 as the correct bulb. That is all I can really say about it.
The signal bulbs from my encodes fit into these lights.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is definitely possible. You would just need an extra set of ballasts, a H3 HID bulb, and possibly a relay harness (I have not tested the voltage at the fog lights, if they are 12V like everything else though, they could be wired up to power ballasts directly without a harness).
However, a 55W would be a pretty good risk in terms of heat. I honestly don't know about 35W. I would say that 35W is likely safe, but don't quote me on that.
I think the better option for further increased light output would be to add some projector fogs into the bumper grill inserts. Those would give you a safer and less scattered output, and would avoid the risk of overheating.
Jeff,

Assuming an H3C bulb is used, is there enough depth to fit the HID bulb and to get the cover back onto the light housing?

It seems like it'd be too shallow. I agree that 35Watts is probably the most you should run as HID FOGS.

Lito

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Lito, I'd caution against using HIDs for high beam. They're unlikely to strike fast enough for "flash" duties, the warmup period could leave you worse off than with a good modern halogen lamp, plus longevity of lamp and ballast will be reduced.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, I'd caution against using HIDs for high beam. They're unlikely to strike fast enough for "flash" duties, the warmup period could leave you worse off than with a good modern halogen lamp, plus longevity of lamp and ballast will be reduced.
David,

thanks. Something to consider. Since the HID's on these new lights are already on, that's not a problem. But that's not the case on the OEM version. Crap.

I've got these coming, which I'm going to try. I'm not sure the range but if they are close, I may just use them since I rarely use my high beams even to "flash". But I do want to preserve that function.

They use Q5 Cree LED's

Lito

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
The early phaetons had separate HID high beams as well as the Lexus LS600h

Dunno what in particular in those systems allow HIDs to be suitable

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
David,

thanks. Something to consider. Since the HID's on these new lights are already on, that's not a problem. But that's not the case on the OEM version. Crap.

I've got these coming, which I'm going to try. I'm not sure the range but if they are close, I may just use them since I rarely use my high beams even to "flash". But I do want to preserve that function.

They use Q5 Cree LED's

Lito
Where did you purchase the Cree lights? I assume these will be for the high beams? I may want to look into that too. Thanks, Tony

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where did you purchase the Cree lights? I assume these will be for the high beams? I may want to look into that too. Thanks, Tony
I know Jeff wouldn't mind me posting this. Ebay. They're expensive and not sure how well they work.

I'll post when I get them if you want to wait. I should be getting them soon. They are coming from California, not China. Although I bet they originally came from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281147817888?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I know Jeff wouldn't mind me posting this. Ebay. They're expensive and not sure how well they work.
I'll post when I get them if you want to wait. I should be getting them soon. They are coming from California, not China. Although I bet they originally came from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281147817888?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Thanks, keep us posted on the quality, etc. Jeff modified a pair of MKV headlights for me that I am going to install this week. This was his first attempt at something other than a MKIV so we are plowing new ground. :D

I bought an LED kit for other lights in my car here from a fellow in Canada and saw this for the high beam application.

These Cree bulbs are pricey!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, keep us posted on the quality, etc. Jeff modified a pair of MKV headlights for me that I am going to install this week. This was his first attempt at something other than a MKIV so we are plowing new ground. :D
I bought an LED kit for other lights in my car here from a fellow in Canada and saw this for the high beam application.
These Cree bulbs are pricey!

They are, but the Cree Q5 LED's are superior. I have them in several 3.7 volt flash lights and love them.

Can you please post pics when you get them installed?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Can you please post pics when you get them installed?
Yes, I plan to post pictures and a write up. Maybe in a separate thread (I'll link it to here).

The MKV lights are much different than MKIV's. Jeff worked on this for a month, off and on with inputs from me on wiring, etc. I plan to have them on later this week, barring any unanticipated business travel (been gone for two weeks).

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
The Cree bulb will not give you nearly enough light. It will have one cree under the front optic like this one,

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This Cree LEDs have a lot of emitters with not a lot capacity to dissipate heat. I would only use those for short duty cycle installations. If you run those for any sort of extended period of time (DRLs, for example), they will fail prematurely and/or lose a significant portion of their output. They are also not suitable for high beam installation, as the light output won't have any sort of focus to it.

As for the Lexus LS600h, I'm pretty sure its high beams are LED, but in a separate projector from the LED multi-lens projectors.

You could use separate HIDs for high beams, but you will need a rapid start ballast that provides a surge during startup to bring the lamp up to temperature (and full output) much more quickly than standard ballasts.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Ramon, you cheap bastard ;) crack open the wallet and get a set of these. I guarantee you they are SUPERIOR to your ecodes.

My wife's ecodes are now sitting in the basement. One of the tabs broke off when I was opening them to grab the signal bulbs.

The e-codes sucked ass. I hated driving my car, then driving hers. If Jeff had been around making these when I bought the e-codes for her car, I would have never bought the e-codes. I'm just glad her lights are as good as mine now.

Now....I just need to get powered seats into her car. Just kidding.
I am a cheap bastard.... :p

I just like my headlights. They were never run of the mil eCodes. Can't remember the company that made them, (we are talking 10 years ago), but they have withstood the test of time.

And if Jeff converts them I will be a couple of bucks ahead. ;)

And your wife should definitely get a set of power/memory/Recaro seats in her wagon. Then she will match mine. :p

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am a cheap bastard.... :p

I just like my headlights. They were never run of the mil eCodes. Can't remember the company that made them, (we are talking 10 years ago), but they have withstood the test of time.

And if Jeff converts them I will be a couple of bucks ahead. ;)

And your wife should definitely get a set of power/memory/Recaro seats in her wagon. Then she will match mine. :p
Looks like you guys are about an hour away from each other? very convenient. Lucky you! I hope you get them, I know you'll love them.

I still need to aim them, but I think they're low and we're not blinding anyone. I forgot about your Recaros, man I'm jealous.

L

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
This Cree LEDs have a lot of emitters with not a lot capacity to dissipate heat. I would only use those for short duty cycle installations. If you run those for any sort of extended period of time (DRLs, for example), they will fail prematurely and/or lose a significant portion of their output. They are also not suitable for high beam installation, as the light output won't have any sort of focus to it.

As for the Lexus LS600h, I'm pretty sure its high beams are LED, but in a separate projector from the LED multi-lens projectors.

You could use separate HIDs for high beams, but you will need a rapid start ballast that provides a surge during startup to bring the lamp up to temperature (and full output) much more quickly than standard ballasts.
Those are not full LED's. When Lexus debuted the LED headlight on the LS600h, it was only for the Low Beam. The high beam was a HID high beam projector.

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Tony, no go. Look at the "off-road" H7's from OSRAM. I'll post when I get them from across the pond.

Standard OEM H7 : 55w, 1400 lumen, 3200K, 300 - 450 hours

Osram Rallye H7+ : 65w, 2100 lumen, 3200K, 300 - 400 hours

Lito

another good place to buy them in the USA

http://store.candlepower.com

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Please post pics of those LEDs in your high beams. Straight on and beam pattern, if you'd be so kind.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I've been wanting to go projector w/ HID's since I got this car. FINALLY you've made it easy and affordable. I'm saving for a set starting...now!

TDI
Hey everyone,

So it has been a crazy few months of headlight making. After making close to 30 sets of these lights we are upgrading the Jetta lights to v2.0. We have learned a few things, noted places for improvements both in the creation of the headlights and in customer preferences and are moving to a slightly changed setup. The Golf lights are still too small for the new projectors, so they will remain with the ones they have now.

The big difference is that we are using a different projector in the lights now. There are number of benefits to them, including better and more even light output, a better cutoff, and the fact that they use standard H1 HID bulbs, making finding replacements easy when the time comes. See the first post for updated photos.

We have decided to drop the angel eye as a default option. Not enough people wanted them to justify having them on every projector, so we made a decision to trade the angel eyes for the items listed in the paragraph above. Angel eyes can still be added as a separate option though, and I have to say that they are extremely bright (see post #116). The good news is that the pricing is more or less the same (again see post #1). If you guys have any questions about the new version please let me know.

In other news, we have made a number of MKV headlights and are venturing into MKVI lights as well. If you are interested in those feel free to contact me though email or PM.

Jeff

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
well, got mine today. looks great! will have to wait a little to install, we will be camping Fri-Mon on the Guadalupe river.
these are the glass lens.

can't wait to put them in now.
thanks Jeff, no damage at all, were packed really good.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Very very tempted to order a set of Jetta V2 headlights w/ ballasts + angel eyes (for DRL) + all black. Probably gonna wait until Christmas though. :)

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Any pictures of the Golf headlights? I've seen lots of great photos of the Jetta version but as I have a Golf, I'd love to see some Golf photos.

PS_I'll be ordering a set in the next couple months (before winter's short days arrive and I'm driving in the dark to and from work)