www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old April 18th, 2006, 13:52   #151
somepunk22
Veteran Member

Anyone have a star wheel socket/key I could borrow for an evening this week? Maybe someone near Eden Prairie? Thanks. dgoffman@rfamec.com
somepunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 14:30   #152
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Quote:
Originally Posted by somepunk22
Anyone have a star wheel socket/key I could borrow for an evening this week? Maybe someone near Eden Prairie? Thanks. dgoffman@rfamec.com
Emailed - I think this is for locking lugs...
Old April 26th, 2006, 19:52   #153
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Saw something interesting tonight - I stopped at the Davanni's near 50th and Highway 100 for a bite to eat, looked in the lot, and saw a couple interesting vanity plates: "BORA" and "MKV GTI". Volksport.org was having a meeting in the party room. And they have a show scheduled for June 11 at Westside VW.
Old April 26th, 2006, 20:54   #154
somepunk22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingrob
Saw something interesting tonight - I stopped at the Davanni's near 50th and Highway 100 for a bite to eat, looked in the lot, and saw a couple interesting vanity plates: "BORA" and "MKV GTI". Volksport.org was having a meeting in the party room. And they have a show scheduled for June 11 at Westside VW.
Yup. They were having a board meeting. I believe they are having another meeting this coming Saturday.
somepunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 14:04   #155
TDI'watcher
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.5

/First post
Well after lurkering around for a few weeks I though this group would be fitting to ask:
How much trouble will I have as a mechanically DISinclined driver looking into buying a TDI Jetta wagon? The past year or so has been pretty mild. As a lifelong MN resident I know -20 and up to 104 well enough for weather. My commute and family needs would seem to suit the strengths of a TDI very well though.
Currently I'm dishing everything a 96 Mazda Protege can handle and it hasn't failed me yet and its nearly indestructable sitting at 230,000 miles and doing 100 per day freeway with a minimal of minor repairs and abusive oil change intervals at every 6000 sometimes.
But a Jetta would have such a nicer build and enjoyable daily drive on top of the rediculously good MPG over getting another asian. The safety is a plus for the wife too, but she only drives town/country and not freeway.

Any experiences with the VW dealers for expected typical wait time for a used TDI wagon to show up? I'm guessing the turnover is pretty rare, and seems even thinner for a wagon variant...

Anyways, thanks in advance, you seem like a helpfull bunch.
TDI'watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 14:20   #156
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI'watcher
/First post
Well after lurkering around for a few weeks I though this group would be fitting to ask:
How much trouble will I have as a mechanically DISinclined driver looking into buying a TDI Jetta wagon? The past year or so has been pretty mild. As a lifelong MN resident I know -20 and up to 104 well enough for weather. My commute and family needs would seem to suit the strengths of a TDI very well though.
Currently I'm dishing everything a 96 Mazda Protege can handle and it hasn't failed me yet and its nearly indestructable sitting at 230,000 miles and doing 100 per day freeway with a minimal of minor repairs and abusive oil change intervals at every 6000 sometimes.
But a Jetta would have such a nicer build and enjoyable daily drive on top of the rediculously good MPG over getting another asian. The safety is a plus for the wife too, but she only drives town/country and not freeway.

Any experiences with the VW dealers for expected typical wait time for a used TDI wagon to show up? I'm guessing the turnover is pretty rare, and seems even thinner for a wagon variant...

Anyways, thanks in advance, you seem like a helpfull bunch.
On finding the vehicle, I would suggest that you look in a range of several hundred miles. I would also recommend you have one of the experts on these boards look over the car before you commit.
Old April 27th, 2006, 14:42   #157
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

I love my wagon, just remember, you wouldn't want to put people in the back seat for any extended period.

From Cars . com

Description — $11,900, 2002 Jetta TDI diesel, wagon, automatic, moon roof, leather seats, heated seats and mirrors, all power, silver with black interior, excellent condition, 45 mpg, $11,900, call 605-523-2525 or 605-929-3717.
GET MORE DETAILS

Listing Date: April 21, 2006
Listing Source: Aberdeen American News
Find Area Codes for Listings from Aberdeen American News
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:55   #158
TDI'watcher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamjohnson
I love my wagon, just remember, you wouldn't want to put people in the back seat for any extended period.

From Cars . com

Description — $11,900, 2002 Jetta TDI diesel, wagon, automatic, moon roof, leather seats, heated seats and mirrors, all power, silver with black interior, excellent condition, 45 mpg, $11,900, call 605-523-2525 or 605-929-3717.
GET MORE DETAILS

Listing Date: April 21, 2006
Listing Source: Aberdeen American News
Find Area Codes for Listings from Aberdeen American News
Nope, just putting a couple of 'shorties' back there. We're commited to not be a minivan family. When they grow up, if their gear for activities takes more room than a wagon can hold, its time for trimming activities, not getting a bigger ride...

Thanks for the userd search spam, is that an Iowa listing? While I'd like a test drive sooner than later, the purchase is still a few months off. But that looks like a good comparison to start with. Might be able to swing an 03' or '04 depending on miles. Then the debate over PD comes up...
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:38   #159
Steve-o
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/42/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI'watcher
Welcome!

The conventional wisdom seems to be that you have to be willing to work some on a TDI or owning one doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm not hugely mechanically-inclined myself and, as the years go by, I find I'm less willing to wrench something (usually on a garage floor in January) in my limited free time. I did buy a Bentley manual, though, so I could do some things if I wanted to. I think, as in most cases (homes, lawnmowers, etc.), it becomes a choice of learning to do it yourself (finding the skills, time, and tools) or spending a bit to have things done for you.

The TDI will be a non-issue AFA weather goes. I've been driving TDIs since 1999, including a time when I had to park outside. It always started, it always went. The big issues with a VW TDI in winter are that it takes a while to heat up (you can either plug it in or just lengthen trips to make sure the car gets a chance to warm up fully [what I do]) and that the car is fairly low to the ground (running over those frozen clods dropped off of other vehicles' wheelwells is an expensive form of gambling; a steel skidplate helps).
Quote:
Yeah, a used 5-speed Wagon is going to take a bit of a search. You'll want to be flexible either in how long it takes to find your exact desire or in what colors/features/mileage you hope for if you want to line up something sooner. Be prepared to act quickly because that particular combination is in high demand, especially since you can't buy an A5 Wagon even if you wanted to. As vikingrob suggested, get one of the local TDI folks to check it out for you. There are some very knowledgeable people in this region and I would feel comfortable handing my keys to pretty much any of 'em. This is a good bunch.
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:18   #160
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Sighting: Black A4 with BORA on the left side of the decklid and TDI on the right side. I think it was Monday or Tuesday morning of this week in Big Lake on Hwy 10.

Just in case any body sees me, I am the 2002 black A4 with a 50 mpg sticker on the back as well as a "Got Deutsch" (promoting the Twin Cities German Immersion School) sticker. Everyday I'm driving between St. Cloud and Elk River on Hwy 10.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 06:15   #161
TDI'watcher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker
Sighting: Black A4 with BORA on the left side of the decklid and TDI on the right side. I think it was Monday or Tuesday morning of this week in Big Lake on Hwy 10.

Just in case any body sees me, I am the 2002 black A4 with a 50 mpg sticker on the back as well as a "Got Deutsch" (promoting the Twin Cities German Immersion School) sticker. Everyday I'm driving between St. Cloud and Elk River on Hwy 10.
Yeah, I've seen two TDIs the past 14 days. One black sedan going up 35E into DT St. Paul, and one silver sedan going south on 35 just before Northfield.

/My commute is 50 miles each way (under 60 minutes baby), I would *warm* a diesel very nicely.

//My Mazda is semi-ghetto and could use a skid plate, front bumper molding is cracked to Hades from a good hefty raccoon from Mnenominie.

I guess my question would be what dealerships won't rake you over and would be likely to have a car picked up outstate for you? I'm not opposed to getting the financing in order and then waiting 2 months. Is a 02-04 wagon with under 50,000 miles around $15/16K or am I in Candyland? Whats the range for dealer extended warrantees?

I might be waiting untill fall if it is possible gas prices fall back under $2.50 and the TDI demand doesn't call for an outrageous premium.
Old May 9th, 2006, 19:51   #162
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Who among this group is going to the Michigan GTG?
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:00   #163
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

VR, I'm still thinking about throwing down a mileage challange to you, when are you planning on leaving to go to Mich? I could unrace you to Madison or Chi town.

Sam

I know I'd lose, but it'd be fun.
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:49   #164
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamjohnson
VR, I'm still thinking about throwing down a mileage challange to you, when are you planning on leaving to go to Mich? I could unrace you to Madison or Chi town.

Sam

I know I'd lose, but it'd be fun.
Leaving from downtown Minneapois sometime between 11pm on Thu 5/25 and 2am Fri 5/26 (though the schedule I drew up leaves at 2:23am Fri 5/26). On a trip like this, I wouldn't buy fuel in WI or IL, so it will probably be northwestern Indiana before I fill up, but by my calculations, I can make it to Fowlerville on one tank. The stops are set forth in post #265 on the Michigan GTG thread and in PDF form here.

The closest station to my place is T & Y, located here.

Last edited by vikingrob; May 10th, 2006 at 09:54.
vikingrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 21:05   #165
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

newguy, here in mn, is possibly doing a group buy for bosal hitches!!

check it out:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=138714

could be very worthwhile for us, since we could potentially save a bunch of $$ on extra shipping..
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi
burpod is offline   Reply With Quote