Downsizing wheel/tire combo?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I recently purchased a used 2006 Jetta TDI that has wheels and tires that have seen much better days. The wheels have a lot of curbing, and don’t look like they’ve ever been cleaned before. The tires (205/55/16) are 2 or 3 different brands.

I was thinking that rather than buy new tires for these beat up wheels that maybe I should try and find some OEM VW wheels that are in better shape and upgrade from there. I know most people tend to go bigger and get 17 or 18” wheels and associates tires and have read that it takes a toll on your fuel consumption, ride quality/comfort and significantly increases the price of tires.

So, if i were to go smaller and get 15” wheels and 196/65/15 tires, would the opposite be true and I would improve fuel consumption, have More comfortable ride quality and the tire prices would be cheaper?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
My best advice is to use the tool on tirerack.com and see if they will suggest a 15" wheel & tire combo.

Good luck

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...So, if i were to go smaller and get 15” wheels and 196/65/15 tires, would the opposite be true and I would improve fuel consumption, have More comfortable ride quality and the tire prices would be cheaper?
195/65-15 tires are 0.10" taller than the 205/55-16s and are a standard VW size. Because the contact patch is smaller there will be less rolling resistance and it might increase you fuel economy. The taller sidewall height will give you a more comfortable ride and yes, the tires will be less expensive.