New way to drain oil from intercooler - D' op!!

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
New way to drain oil from intercooler - D\' op!!

Well, I was going to do my first oil change on the '96 Passat last night, using car ramps with beveled pieces of 2x6 wood to help get up the ramps w/o hitting the front air dam on the ramps . . . can anybody connect the dots . . .

Drove up ramps just fine, but I didn't make it all the way up (thought that I did--didn't want to drive off other side), came back down, wood pieces slid back, front of car came down on top of ramps . . . then there was oil on the driver's side ramp, what th' . . uh oh!
Used scissors jack on each side to raise car up to remove ramps, and found lower plastic end of intercooler with a huge hole in it.

Good news is, only about two tablespoons of oil came out, and I really don't think it's ever been cleaned before (173K miles now). Well, now car is out of service until I get another one in there. Yes, I could probably fix it with a fiberglass repair kit, but I think I know where to get a used one in good conditon so why bother.

Lesson: don't take short cuts! I made the wood pieces last night, and was going to pin them into the bottom of the ramp so wood would not separate from the ramp (would have prevented the above from happening), but it was late and I figured that I could save some time and do that later--now I've got more work, and I haven't even changed the oil yet! Yes, I know about the oil extractor pumps, but of course I still have the spin-on filter down there to deal with--am going to pull off the belly pan so I can inspect everything while underneath.