2015 DSG Servive...40K service

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
I was just quoted $500-700+ for the 40K service on my 2015 Passat, this seem a little high, my understanding is that it is just a bunch of checks plus air filters, cabin filters, fuel filters, oil/oil filter and DSG oil/oil filter replacement... I been doing my routine maintenance on another TDI (2006 Jetta BRM)manual stick, how much more complicated is to do the Passat? and please help me with any links to the DSG service for my Passat, I think I can buy a service kit for under $200 and DYI it... any special tools and any electronics needed in order to perform this service?:confused:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You should have done like me and bought these service kits up while dieselgate was happening. I bought up about 8 of them over time for $20 to $40 each. Fluids and filters OEM stuff. VCDS is called for but many have done it without as well. The procedures can already be found here. What you need depends on how closely you want to follow the official repair procedures.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You should have done like me and bought these service kits up while dieselgate was happening. I bought up about 8 of them over time for $20 to $40 each. Fluids and filters OEM stuff.
So if you did indeed buy 5L of DSG fluid and filter plus 5L of engine oil and filter plus a fuel & cabin filter for 40 bucks (that is a 40k kit), you did extremely well I guess.;)

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Just the trans kits only for those prices. I did get some oil cheap though as well.
Well if you got 5L of DSG fluid and filter for 20-40 bucks each you still did extremely well;) Especially for 20 bucks. 4 bucks a liter? plus filter?

For those not a shrewd as Lightflyer
Here is a good deal on fluid and filter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-VW-DSG-ATF-Transmission-Dual-Clutch-40k-Fluid-Filter-Service-Kit-LIQUI-MOLY/152260434794?hash=item23736ddb6a%3Ag%3AABcAAOSwYIxX7gsP&_pgn=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=g052182a2&_from=R40&rt=nc

Top fill funnel https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...03-20&linkId=41ae4c7c1c05c97c181b57aad410c7e6

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
If you are talking about the entire 40k service (DSG, oil change, etc), the cost you were quoted is entirely reasonable for a dealer, at least in my experience. My 40k and 80k services were both at the high end of that range (and I live in an expensive area).

You can certainly save $$ by doing DIY.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
You should have done like me and bought these service kits up while dieselgate was happening. I bought up about 8 of them over time for $20 to $40 each. Fluids and filters OEM stuff. VCDS is called for but many have done it without as well. The procedures can already be found here. What you need depends on how closely you want to follow the official repair procedures.
I did the same last year, just put on a timing belt at half price and got 2 dsg kits for 1/2 off and got enough cabin, air, and oil filters to go 300k or more...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I do the drain-measure-fill threw the filter hole every 40k, been perfect. Wish I knew about those discounted kits!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'm thinking they were owners who ditched their cars and were left holding onto old service kits. Agreed those are scorchers of deals. Now being a two DSG household, I'll be helping IDparts keep their stock fresh.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I used one of the kits today on my daughters 2015 Passat. They weren't discounted they were peoples left over supplies when they returned their cars to VW. My 2015 Beetle and the 2015 Passat are the same as far as the DSG service goes. Kind of a pain getting to the trans filter and having to remove the air filter box and battery. Then the bottom shield. Messy mess doing the factory drain and over fill then bring to temp and drain again. Got it all done though using the My turbodiesel site instructions. My daughter helped by passing me tools and parts, so that was nice! Everything went as planned and had no issues at all, other than the mess. Everything cleaned up though and was fine. No need to pay the outrageous price to have this done. Cost me $20 and a mornings worth of time with my daughter.

Here is the link I used:
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/...cement-service-vw-and-audi-stronic-oil-flush/

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I did the 40k service over two days. I didn’t want to spend too long doing the service so I broke it up. Engine oil and filter, intake and cabin filters one day, DSG a few weeks later. Bought the kit off of IDParts and it was a breeze really. I do have VCDS as well.

I messed up on the DSG the first time. Forgot to put the plastic drain plug in and filled the trans. Then overheated the fluid. So I went and got dinner and finished after. Took me about 3 hours to do, but that’s because I had to drain and fill twice. Lol.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I used IdParts DSG filler hose setup and some DSG fluid is left in the tube after gravity filling. Others have posted this made a mess when disconnecting. I pulled the funnel off and blew into the hose forcing the remains into the trans. Then pulled the hose off the fitting at the trans and put my finger on it. While keeping my finger on it removed it and quickly replaced it with the real plug. It went and worked well for reducing loss and mess. Took about 2 hours from start to finish (10am to 12 noon) and the first time doing it. Should be faster when my 2015 Beetle is due next.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I used IdParts DSG filler hose setup and some DSG fluid is left in the tube after gravity filling. Others have posted this made a mess when disconnecting. I pulled the funnel off and blew into the hose forcing the remains into the trans. Then pulled the hose off the fitting at the trans and put my finger on it. While keeping my finger on it removed it and quickly replaced it with the real plug. It went and worked well for reducing loss and mess. Took about 2 hours from start to finish (10am to 12 noon) and the first time doing it. Should be faster when my 2015 Beetle is due next.

So how did you set the fluid level in the DSG?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I was just quoted $500-700+ for the 40K service on my 2015 Passat, this seem a little high, my understanding is that it is just a bunch of checks plus air filters, cabin filters, fuel filters, oil/oil filter and DSG oil/oil filter replacement... I been doing my routine maintenance on another TDI (2006 Jetta BRM)manual stick, how much more complicated is to do the Passat? and please help me with any links to the DSG service for my Passat, I think I can buy a service kit for under $200 and DYI it... any special tools and any electronics needed in order to perform this service?:confused:
There are some good DSG service videos out there on youtube. To do it right you need the car level. I helped a friend do his with the front end on ramps. Then we jacked up the rear and put a jack stands on the rear. Getting the car level was the only tricky part. The filling part is helped a lot if you buy one of the fill hose adapter tools. There are a few different ones out there for sale. Having a VCDS lets you know when the fluid level is at the right temp but a fluid change can be done without it. All that matters is that the fluid is at normal operating temp when you check the level after the initial fill. As one has to remove the airbox, battery, and battery tray to get to the DSG filter, having a VCDS will read and clear any codes after.

I know this doesn't really help you. My son lives on the West side of Phoenix. His local dealer, VW Avondale, quoted and charged him $377 for a DSG service. This was only the DSG service.

Good luck.

:)

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
nicknack2 dont let the dealer talk You down into thinking You need to do this service Only at VW dealer because You dont.! $500-$700 is way to much $$ for changing filters & Oil really.?? You need to read up on what the (Magnason moss act of Canada or U.S.A.) says. "You can do it all yourself" with-out voiding
your existing warranty. including changing Parts. as long as your using oem equivalent parts and You keep all receits from all purchased items & or parts for warranty purposes. there should be no reason holding you back on working on your vehicle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DSG fluid is a great cologne and does wonders for dry skin :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjxAQsePR7Q

btw our alltrack had the same honey comb filter (which doesn't have an internal o-ring) kinda glad I installed the white one.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This link isn't working (anymore) - I poked around a bit on myturbodiesel.com and was unable to find the wiki section. Someone else has already asked about it over there so maybe the wiki will be back soon.
Well that is recent as I just used it days ago.