Reaching 10k service... Should it dare to...

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Should I even go to the dealer for the oil change with all the headache I've been having from.... Going to the dealership?

I feel as though I can do a better job myself.

The biggest headache I've had is The filler neck insert I've had back 3x. Twice left me in the situation I had to trickle fill because I couldn't get the nozzle in all the way.

They claimed again and again no issues. Last 2 times of inspecting it (after poking at it in the shop, without my presence) we and the service manager drove to a pump to test it. It worked, obviously. I showed them the video of it failing to release with my phone, and said I was rigging the system, and trying to get a part replaced that didn't need replacing, and I'm supposed to wiggle and figgle, and work, and make circles, and whatever the **** else he said I need to do to make it release, of course assuming I'm using the correct nozzle.

Well, it failed to release again, in the middle of a road trip out in Missouri.

I didn't waste my time with it, repairing or taking videos. I took the nozzle and smashed it several times until it broke, pieces fell down the neck, and pieces fell onto the ground, and I smiled with joy. I removed what was left, and now it works flawless since.

I'm scared to take the car in for an oil change.

Opinions?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Don't take it in if you don't want to. I skipped all 3 of the free changes on my '11. I'm pretty impatient too- they just take way too long to do that stuff. Then you get to wonder what they might have screwed up.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Should I even go to the dealer for the oil change with all the headache I've been having from.... Going to the dealership?

I feel as though I can do a better job myself.

The biggest headache I've had is The filler neck insert I've had back 3x. Twice left me in the situation I had to trickle fill because I couldn't get the nozzle in all the way.

They claimed again and again no issues. Last 2 times of inspecting it (after poking at it in the shop, without my presence) we and the service manager drove to a pump to test it. It worked, obviously. I showed them the video of it failing to release with my phone, and said I was rigging the system, and trying to get a part replaced that didn't need replacing, and I'm supposed to wiggle and figgle, and work, and make circles, and whatever the **** else he said I need to do to make it release, of course assuming I'm using the correct nozzle.

Well, it failed to release again, in the middle of a road trip out in Missouri.

I didn't waste my time with it, repairing or taking videos. I took the nozzle and smashed it several times until it broke, pieces fell down the neck, and pieces fell onto the ground, and I smiled with joy. I removed what was left, and now it works flawless since.

I'm scared to take the car in for an oil change.

Opinions?

I hear the filler necks (I think you are referring to the misfueling guard) can be finicky BUT it's not something I think the dealer could really fix, the station nozzles are probably the issue (the guard is a PITA though, stupid but was/is a VW CYA part because of the weak HPFP). I skipped installing it on my MK5 because I was way out of warranty and any HPFP issues were going to be on me to fix anyway PLUS I knew I'd never misfuel and I'm the only one that ever puts fuel in the vehicles. I also haven't had a single issue with my MK7 guard BUT I fill up at the same stations (BP) all the time and when traveling, haven't had any issues to date.

With that said, if you don't like that dealer, can you go to another? If not, it's about a $80 service so is the $80 a big deal in real or principle? If not, then do it at home, it's not a huge undertaking. I do lots of services on cars ranging from MK4, 5, 6 and now 7's but I'm going to let the dealer change my first go around. I actually trust them (I know the techs) to do it right and beings that it's free, I'm comfortable with it.

Now, I know some dealers are absolutely TERRIBLE and not to be trusted with changing a light bulb, they are not created equal. Was the dealer good to buy from, sales team easy to deal with, service people treated you right even after multiple visits?? I'd say weigh the options (other dealer, your lvel of expertise and tools to change at home) and your comfort level and follow your gut. :)

Good luck man

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Yep, warranty on HPFP can be voided if the guard is missing. Maybe go back and demand (or order) a new one because it left you almost stranded on a road trip? Oil change is easy on these, filter takes a bit of getting used to but there is a good how-to here somewhere!

Edit: here's the "how-to"

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Agree to do it yourself. Just did the sis in laws 10k on her 15 and still not sure they’d changed filter. Hard to prove but only way to trust is doing it yourself.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
LOL !! That guard just saved my A** yesterday. I went to a BP station in MD where they just had all the pumps redone. I grabbed the green handled filler and attempted to put it in my filler neck. Damn thing wouldn't go and it stumped me for a minute or two. I finally realized that the gas handles were green and the diesel fuel one were black at this station. Really weird, as I don't recalled any diesel handle being anything but green or yellow.

I have now been officially scared into paying closer attention while fueling, which isn't a bad thing !

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL !! That guard just saved my A** yesterday. I went to a BP station in MD where they just had all the pumps redone. I grabbed the green handled filler and attempted to put it in my filler neck. Damn thing wouldn't go and it stumped me for a minute or two. I finally realized that the gas handles were green and the diesel fuel one were black at this station. Really weird, as I don't recalled any diesel handle being anything but green or yellow.

I have now been officially scared into paying closer attention while fueling, which isn't a bad thing !
Yikes! Good save, that's crazy.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Service manager explained the guard is irrelevant, as it doesn't protect if the correct fuel has been distributed to the correct underground tank. He said running without it won't void the warranty, vw will regardless take a fuel sample in the situation of a pump failure.

He basically said if I run without the guard, have receipts to prove the machine did distribute and I "selected" the appropriate fuel. What comes out of the pump with the correct nozzle is out of my power.

He also made the good point that some stations have swapped nozzles which interfered with the guard releasing because of size differences.

Who goes by color? What if you're color blind?

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
I'm sure most are aware, some nozzles are larger for faster fill-ups on trucks. We can't use those, they are too large.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I had my first misfuel guard hiccup last night, but it had nothing to do with my car. The diesel pump was using a smaller gas-pump gauge nozzle that wouldn't activate the guard to open. There was a diesel van on the other side of the pump and an F-250 waiting behind me. I walked up to the F-250 to explain why I was fumbling around and that eased his impatience. The pump on the other side was standard light diesel size and I filled without issue. I also found that F-250s have no such fueling guard. He had no problem at the nozzle that refused me.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Service manager explained the guard is irrelevant, as it doesn't protect if the correct fuel has been distributed to the correct underground tank. He said running without it won't void the warranty, vw will regardless take a fuel sample in the situation of a pump failure.

He basically said if I run without the guard, have receipts to prove the machine did distribute and I "selected" the appropriate fuel. What comes out of the pump with the correct nozzle is out of my power.

He also made the good point that some stations have swapped nozzles which interfered with the guard releasing because of size differences.

Who goes by color? What if you're color blind?

Get it in writing OR have the guard replaced. While I fully understand what you are saying AND would like to agree with what he said because its common sense, VW explicitly stated in the documents for the extended HPFP warranty on the MK5/6 cars, that if it was not in place, claims would be denied. Now our dieselgate warranty may supersede that BUT I wouldn't trust that VW is going to do right by you based on the service guy saying.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you don't trust the dealer to do the oil change stop by the parts department with your car's VIN and get them to give you the oil and filter. My dealer has done that for me a couple times in the past.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
If you don't trust the dealer to do the oil change stop by the parts department with your car's VIN and get them to give you the oil and filter. My dealer has done that for me a couple times in the past.
I'll have to give that a try, but my local VW parts counter seems to be tighter than woodpecker lips. I'd put my chances at less than 50%.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'll have to give that a try, but my local VW parts counter seems to be tighter than woodpecker lips. I'd put my chances at less than 50%.
If they say no go to another dealer. You're entitled to the service, so they should give you the parts.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.

If it is a station that I don't know, I always read the pump, not just look at the color of the cover on the nozzle... :rolleyes:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Get it in writing OR have the guard replaced. While I fully understand what you are saying AND would like to agree with what he said because its common sense, VW explicitly stated in the documents for the extended HPFP warranty on the MK5/6 cars, that if it was not in place, claims would be denied. Now our dieselgate warranty may supersede that BUT I wouldn't trust that VW is going to do right by you based on the service guy saying.
Yeah, I agree.

Just the issue is it leaving with possibilities of stranding the kids or gf stranded.

I could care less. It's a car, and life has beat me down to the point I could care less and the reason I smashed it out in the parking lot, and carried on.

Honestly it's nice not having it there. But at the same time I don't want to replace it a 4th time only to have it give issues again of not releasing with the correct nozzle size. Ugh. F*ing garbage. Just garbage.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yeah, I agree.

Just the issue is it leaving with possibilities of stranding the kids or gf stranded.

I could care less. It's a car, and life has beat me down to the point I could care less and the reason I smashed it out in the parking lot, and carried on.

Honestly it's nice not having it there. But at the same time I don't want to replace it a 4th time only to have it give issues again of not releasing with the correct nozzle size. Ugh. F*ing garbage. Just garbage.

Well, I had the first one installed in my 2010 JSW and it never created any issues or anxiety. My 2014 Passat has it from the factory again no problems or anxiety. Neither left anybody standing along the side of the road out of fuel as I never let it get that low anyway. Hey, it's your life and you have to live in it so if you feel it is garbage so be it. I beg to differ. I hope you never have a misfuel warranty issue as your screwed and you will probably wish you had that piece of garbage installed. It's sorta like insurance.....nobody likes it but when you need it you need it. Oh and I would never let my GF or kids drive my car without plenty of fuel in it.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
You're misunderstanding. I want it fixed. I had it fixed 3x. If i didn't fix it at all then I'd agree your point your view. But I did attempt to get it fixed. This will be the 4th time.

And to be honest it's installed from vw because of other idiots.

Its a great idea, if it would release every time the proper nozzle is inserted, which has been hit and miss for me. I do not know if it's the dealer or the part. The vehicle only has 5300 miles on it. That's a very bad ratio for something that doesn't even turn with the tires going on 4x of failure. Which seems a no gain, because of what type of fuel might be coming out of the correct sized nozzle.

The fact of the dealer poking at it without my presence and it "working" after makes me wonder.

I've had the vehicle back 3x for the fuel guard, 4x for the tail lense, random blinking dsg gear indicator, and holding 2nd gear and displaying #2 when it was in "drive" and not manual.

Essentially I'm still fishing out if it's the dealer or the vehicle.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

Its a great idea, if it would release every time the proper nozzle is inserted, which has been hit and miss for me.
The fact of the dealer poking at it without my presence and it "working" after makes me wonder.

I've had the vehicle back 3x for the fuel guard, 4x for the tail lense, random blinking dsg gear indicator, and holding 2nd gear and displaying #2 when it was in "drive" and not manual.

Well, I'm sorry for your misfortunes. I have never had a hit or miss issue with fuel pump nozzles. Maybe it's you and not the fuel nozzle or the restrictor! Your conversation here using the terms garbage and idiots makes me loose respect for your perspective on your issues. I cannot tell you if it is the dealer or the parts that you are have issues with. Why don't you try another dealer before condemning the fuel guard or the tail light I would. You come here and complain about it and all I can say I never had these issues with my car. Others read this stuff ...well they think that all the VW's have the same issues as you do and repeat to others your problems as all VW's have these issues and all dealers are crap.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I agree with Jason. Not candy coating his vernacular to make it PC for hyper sensitive "New Age" types does not detract from Jason's point of view.
Why does an imbecile or idiot have to be called "Intellectually Challenged" or "Handy capable" and be celebrated for their diversity and inclusiveness anyway?

Complementary rant off.

What I would do is purchase one of those bogus guards, become familiar with how it is installed and removed and put by the spare tire until you need it.
The guard does goes along nicely with the concept of blaming the victim. Some engineer at VW probably got a fat bonus for dreaming it up.

Last edited:

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Make sure the guard is in place before taking to dealerships for engine warranty claims/work ; it's one of the recall fixes they look for and can use it as an excuse for non coverage.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
You're misunderstanding. I want it fixed. I had it fixed 3x. If i didn't fix it at all then I'd agree your point your view. But I did attempt to get it fixed. This will be the 4th time.

Its a great idea, if it would release every time the proper nozzle is inserted, which has been hit and miss for me. I do not know if it's the dealer or the part. The vehicle only has 5300 miles on it. That's a very bad ratio for something that doesn't even turn with the tires going on 4x of failure. Which seems a no gain, because of what type of fuel might be coming out of the correct sized nozzle.

You know, I never had my misfueling guard installed on my 09 but my buddy did and they gave him a emergency nozzle kit. It's just a plastic nozzle that lets us use the large nozzle at the truck stop but it should also work to actuate the the guard on our cars just the same. I believe they sell these at the Volkswagen dealership cuz that's where he got it from but I would say maybe get one of those and keep it in the car if the nozzle does not actuate your guard try the adapter. I really wonder if it's just not the station(s) you are using. I'll post a pic a little later so you can see what I'm talking
about.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
It's not the stations. I paid attention to the dents and scratches on the nozzle I regularly fill up. It randomly will and will not release.

I've tested my calmness and repeatedly pushed and rrmofed the nozzle, when it's having its release fits, sometimes it'll release after enough times.

Unfortunately the last time, I only counted to 8 seconds. Maybe if I made 10 seconds it would of released, but I decided to smash the mother fker apart.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not the stations. I paid attention to the dents and scratches on the nozzle I regularly fill up. It randomly will and will not release.

I've tested my calmness and repeatedly pushed and rrmofed the nozzle, when it's having its release fits, sometimes it'll release after enough times.

Unfortunately the last time, I only counted to 8 seconds. Maybe if I made 10 seconds it would of released, but I decided to smash the mother fker apart.

A) I'm sure it felt good

B) I'm sure if anyone saw, they we're laughing ?

Hope you get this sorted man.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'll bug the dealer next week.

No one saw. It was 5am Saturday morning, after driving for 10hrs, and the day before i pulled a double shift, and left directly from work.

I was already on a repeated short fuse.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
So today the adapter saved my a$$ at a Shell station I never go to. I have never seen a pump nozzle that looks like this BUT it didn't work on the misfueling guard at all.

Does this nozzle look like the ones around your parts that give/have you trouble?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
I found that if you turn your nozzle at 3 or 9 'oclock position helps a lot in inserting it into the misfueling guard.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Did the 10k. Service.

He claimed repeatedly the miss guard isn't required for any fuel system warranty work.

I asked to get it in writing, and he said he can't do that.

I said I'm glad I'm doing business with a man of his word.

$94, on me, because I didn't return the faulty one.

I said if I pay the money, have you install it and if I take a video of it failing again, will I be reimbursed?

He said no and laughed.

I said I'm gonna be a mad mofo if this happens again. But maybe it shouldn't since I'm buying a new one and not you "repairing" the old one.

He had nothing to say on that.

Opinions? Sounds like I'm stuck with the $94 unless I hunt out another dealer.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Did the 10k. Service.

He claimed repeatedly the miss guard isn't required for any fuel system warranty work.

I asked to get it in writing, and he said he can't do that.

I said I'm glad I'm doing business with a man of his word.

$94, on me, because I didn't return the faulty one.

I said if I pay the money, have you install it and if I take a video of it failing again, will I be reimbursed?

He said no and laughed.

I said I'm gonna be a mad mofo if this happens again. But maybe it shouldn't since I'm buying a new one and not you "repairing" the old one.

He had nothing to say on that.

Opinions? Sounds like I'm stuck with the $94 unless I hunt out another dealer.

Yes, you're stuck, go to another dealer ESPECIALLY because his "verbal" claims that warranty claim would be honored and then refusal to give in writing is quite telling.... While the risk "should" be low, it's just not something I'd want to chance if I could avoid it.

Did you look at my picture above? Did the nozzle that didn't work for you look like that? Maybe get new guard AND the nozzle kit I showed, it WILL work for sure no matter what nozzle you end up with. That kit, they might even throw in for free BUT it only costs $15 or something like that.