Fuel Tank Capacity

dtmfan

TDI
na
Hi,
I see that the Jetta capacity is 14.5 gallons. At roughly what level does the low fuel light come on? Tried to find the info. Thanks for the help!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Sorry Beast.

That is wrong.

Miles remaining can fluctuate depending on how light or heavy your foot is.

The low fuel light comes on when there is approx 1.9 gallons remaining. Reserve capacity is listed in the owners manual.

If you only get 50 miles on that 1.9 gallons you are doing something wrong.

DuvalSt

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Hi,
I see that the Jetta capacity is 14.5 gallons. At roughly what level does the low fuel light come on? Tried to find the info. Thanks for the help!
We were living dangerously as the car (Sebring Vert) we traded in had a malfunctioning fuel gauge. It ran out indicating a quarter of a tank and no low fuel light came on. As for the new Jetta the light came on when it was down to the last two boxes below the quarter tank mark if you have a digital display. Also on the digital display we keep ours set on outside temperature, but when the low fuel warning came on the display changed to showing a fuel pump and how many miles to empty. We refilled with it showing 20 miles left and it took 13.77 gallons. That was too close and we will not come that close again as the fuel may not make to the pick up during hard braking or cornering. If you are low on fuel don't even consider hard acceleration.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Put 17.26 in the Jetta Wagon a couple weeks ago. Light came on less than 30 miles prior to that. Every car is different, even the 1.9 gallons/7L is not a sure thing.

Bottom line? Get it fueled soon. You have no reason to run these cars out.
-BB

dtmfan

TDI
na
Thanks for the responses so far. I dont own a tdi yet, just trying to estimate my fuel costs, I'm more interested in how much the tank capacity is at when the light comes on vs. what the mileage computer says . (ie how many gallons do most see when they refill the tank?)

Thanks again.

Mundgyver

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2001 Dodge 6 speed Cummins 5.9 L
Just did my first tank of fuel. Never saw a low fuel warning light and the miles remaining indicated 40 left. This was the first tank of fuel and was the dealers delivery fill. Pulled into the Chevron here in Sherwood Oregon and put in 12.477 gallons when the nozzle popped. I figure this is where the dealer stopped. I had 439 miles on the car, all of it in town, stop and go with a couple of short trips of 30 miles in total on hw 217 and I-5. Mileage reading for this would be 35.184. Is is noted that I then filled the tank to the very lip where no more would go in and the total fill came to 13.546 gallons which is 1.069 gallons more. If I use this number to figure mileage on then it is 32.408 mpg. I think the 35.185 is the more acurate number in this case and am very pleased with this number for stop and go considering the engine is not broke in yet. Looking forward to doing a cross country to Idaho this next weekend with most of it freeway and then some mountian roads and passes. I expect to see something over 40+ mpg :) When the low light in my Dodge Cummins come on I know that I have 9 gallons of fuel left :rolleyes: So this new Jetta will take some getting use to, but not much :D

The67beast

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi w/ nav
Sorry Beast.

That is wrong.

Miles remaining can fluctuate depending on how light or heavy your foot is.

The low fuel light comes on when there is approx 1.9 gallons remaining. Reserve capacity is listed in the owners manual.

If you only get 50 miles on that 1.9 gallons you are doing something wrong.
thanks for the correction, both times my warning light came on, my miles remaining were at 50 miles exactly and yes, I understand it fluctuates however both times @ exactly 50 ???

Anyway, I stand corrected.

Highline Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline Sedan
... that I then filled the tank to the very lip where no more would go in and the total fill came to 13.546 gallons which is 1.069 gallons more...
I just fill it up to when the pump shuts off. I know that some people top up but I thought I heard or read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea. I think the main thing is that you do the same thing each time.

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
all of my tanks so far (all 4 of them) have been right to the point when the light came on...it takes 13 gallons to top up so my reserve is 1.5 gallons...so far no problems.

I don't think I will ever go to the brink. especially in the winter, I think I'll play it a tad safer and go at a 1/4 left at most.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I was curious so I did a bit of searching and there are lots of comments about effects on vapor recovery systems, expansion of the fuel and stuff like that. Not sure that it would apply to diesel fuel.
good thing there is no vapor recovery system on the newer CR diesels, older ones yes (but they didn't cause a MIL if you did fill to the brim) Fill it till you see fuel, good to go.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
When I read the manual and it said 14.5 capacity and 2 reserve to me that means a total of 16.5 for the whole fuel tank. I did see one user who actually fueled it more than the 14.5 gallons. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Most ive put in was 14.9 gallons and any more then that and the car will run out of fuel...i drove on the fuel light for more then normal and 0 miles remaining was up for a good 20 miles.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
When I read the manual and it said 14.5 capacity and 2 reserve to me that means a total of 16.5 for the whole fuel tank. I did see one user who actually fueled it more than the 14.5 gallons. Any thoughts on this anyone?
I'm sorry to say, but you are figuring that incorrectly.

The tank capacity is 14.5 gallons, but the reserve capacity is included in that figure, So you actually have 12.5 main plus 2 reserve.

The reason people are able to squeeze in more than 14.5 is because the official capacity does not include any amount that is outside the main tank body.

Meaning all the fuel that is squeezed into the filler neck, or the vent body.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I'm sorry to say, but you are figuring that incorrectly.

The tank capacity is 14.5 gallons, but the reserve capacity is included in that figure, So you actually have 12.5 main plus 2 reserve.

The reason people are able to squeeze in more than 14.5 is because the official capacity does not include any amount that is outside the main tank body.

Meaning all the fuel that is squeezed into the filler neck, or the vent body.
Fair enough, I find it strange that its called reserve tho, to me when you have a reserve you have to switch it to reserve, like on large trucks or motorcycles.

Mundgyver

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2001 Dodge 6 speed Cummins 5.9 L
Normally I just fill up to the click point but when I want to see what I am getting for mileage I will fill to the lip everytime so I can get an accurate volume. I will fill it up Friday morning to the lip again just before I pull out on my trip to Idaho and see what the mileage is and then again when I get to my destination to see how we did. Should be a fun trip as there are lots of places to do "Hyper-Mile" style driving in the 477 miles to McCall.:D

DuvalSt

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Fair enough, I find it strange that its called reserve tho, to me when you have a reserve you have to switch it to reserve, like on large trucks or motorcycles.
Also early Beetles and Ghias as they had no fuel gauge. I guess some did have a wooden stick you could put in the tank like a dip stick.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Also early Beetles and Ghias as they had no fuel gauge. I guess some did have a wooden stick you could put in the tank like a dip stick.
Psshhh..

Please, on my 59, you drive it till it sputters, then kick the little lever on the front firewall to flip the fuel tank tap into reserve. If you're good, you can do it and not lose any speed while driving.

If you forget to flip it back when you refuel, you are screwed the next time it sputters

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My first full tank ran out today and the light came on with 45 miles showing. I drove a few more miles and put 13.545 gallons in the 14.7 tank and I filled it until there was fuel in the neck so I know now that about 1.2 is left at the light. The gauge was showing one led bar UNDER 1/4 tank.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Put 15.357 in a 04 Jetta TDI-PD last weekend. I have put as much as 15.9 and it was still driving around in an A4 TDI and A5 body Jetta TDI-PD, 06 model year. And it's around, just under 2 US gal ( 7 litres ) when the light comes on usually on average.

Got around 40 mpgs for the tank so it had about ~70 miles left safely when the light came on Sunday before the fill. Drove about 30 miles @ 72-75 before the fill after the light came on before stopping in Bennett CO to fill up. Paid $3.729......So I had around 40 miles left before it would have quit.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Always Fill it to the Same Level

Just did my first tank of fuel. Never saw a low fuel warning light and the miles remaining indicated 40 left. This was the first tank of fuel and was the dealers delivery fill. Pulled into the Chevron here in Sherwood Oregon and put in 12.477 gallons when the nozzle popped. I figure this is where the dealer stopped. I had 439 miles on the car, all of it in town, stop and go with a couple of short trips of 30 miles in total on hw 217 and I-5. Mileage reading for this would be 35.184. Is is noted that I then filled the tank to the very lip where no more would go in and the total fill came to 13.546 gallons which is 1.069 gallons more. If I use this number to figure mileage on then it is 32.408 mpg. I think the 35.185 is the more acurate number in this case and am very pleased with this number for stop and go considering the engine is not broke in yet. Looking forward to doing a cross country to Idaho this next weekend with most of it freeway and then some mountian roads and passes. I expect to see something over 40+ mpg :) When the low light in my Dodge Cummins come on I know that I have 9 gallons of fuel left :rolleyes:
So this new Jetta will take some getting use to, but not much :D
:)

One can never be sure what the 'lot boy' did when he filled it up.
I know, because the dealer I got mine from had to dealer trade to get my car and I went with
the salesman and filled mine up myself, so I know it was clearly filled right up to the brim.

One can not always depend on the 'miles remaining' figure as that is obtained
by a few miles before and figured by the speeds you have been driving.
BTW, it will run on even after there are 0 miles remaining. How far, I do not know!
I have put almost sixteen gallons in my JSW without it running out, but I only
did that one time, because I do not think that is good for the pump in the tank. :(

Good luck on your trip. Hold your speeds down, and I think that you will indeed be surprised.

BTW, you've never said which tranny you have?

:D

D

Last edited:

TDI-Photog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6m
I just fill it up to when the pump shuts off. I know that some people top up but I thought I heard or read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea. I think the main thing is that you do the same thing each time.
Exactly--consistency will help with accuracy. Use the same pump if you can--I realize this isn't possible on a road trip... :)

Surrylic

TDI
White 2011 VW Jetta TDI, Manual
thanks for the correction, both times my warning light came on, my miles remaining were at 50 miles exactly and yes, I understand it fluctuates however both times @ exactly 50 ???
Anyway, I stand corrected.
You're correct in one sense at least! When getting average mileage, like what i get 90% of the time, it dings low fuel exactly at fifty everytime. Thats just how its set up, youre right there... I guess the changes being when Im getting great mileage Im told I have low fuel with 80 miles left, and when Im doing poorly it comes on at 30. Looks like you must get similar mileage each time? :D

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Consider that the low fuel warning will not trigger at the same point every time. Example: driving on a flat, straight & smooth highway vs. Hilly & curvy.

Bottom line is we won't know until someone runs this new model dry. I plan to carry 1 gallon of D2 in the 2012 Passat then drive 'til she coughs to see how much over 18.5 gal it'll take.

Back in July I ran the MKV down to 15.936 without a single cough.

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
15.32 is the most I have. Put in. This was when I had an issue w the fuel filter seal and car ran out of fuel. So when I went to fill up it totaled to 58 liters or 15.32!

This amount is for the whole system including the fuel filter and the whole system, not just the tank!