P0401 EGR Oil Catch Can

Mr.Staplehead

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
This is my first post so please be patient.... I own a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 110,000 VERY HARD miles and my CEL came on... P0401 EGR valve stuck. Knowing that you can remove the EGR valve and the car will not become a time bomb, I cleared the CEL but it came back on immediately. I dont like to waste money but i do like exploring things i know nothing about. I took out the EGR valve and yes it was bad.... coated in burnt oil. (I will Post pictures when I figure out how)

I cleaned it and made sure everything worked properly. Reinstalled cleared the CEL and I was off to test drive. Nothing. 100 miles later nothing. 300 miles later. Nothing. 425 miles later. Pooh. CEL. Same code. OK. Ripped it back off.dirty again. Not as bad but still sticky burnt oil. WHYYYYYY!!!!! Time to figure out the reason. Researched it. TURBO SEALLSSSS!!!! AAHHH! Stripped down the intake to the Turbo. (Thanks Mike from M&M) OIL!? What?!!!?? Zero play on the turbo fan.Turbo's fine.

AAH the PCV! OK. So to the point of this post. I did browse a lot on this site and tried to find posts about my specific Motor (the 2.0 CR) doing a oil catch can adn I saw some but nothing exact. Can I do an oil catch can on this motor in my area? It definitely gets well below freezing in the mountains of northeast Pennsylvania where i live and there is an intake heater on that crank case tube. Sorry about the long winded story.

~Just a frustrated Newbie.

Mr.Staplehead

TDI
Thats It. But it says he was banned? I dont think i could ask him what he did with the heater as i'm assuming its so I dont get any icing in the winter.

That first Picture I posted I am correct in saying that is the EGR? I took all the charge air piping off and it was loaded with oil. Intercooler and everything. I'm guessing because I have a heavy foot, I get more blowby?

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
Oh, guess I did not know he was banned.

unsure if that means he just cannot post or that his entire account is locked. Sorry :/

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Stop messing with your EGR valve, there's nothing wrong with it. Your DPF is cracked. Look for soot in your tailpipe.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you would need this

1K0254708GX Does not really match the figure you lined to.

see:

yours is like the upper option. that part number is just the right half of the part as show in the photo.

you will also need the EGR filter, which is what is clogged with some of the same soot that you saw coming out of the tailpipe.

it is called a tube in some diagrams.
1K0253120

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you might need a couple assorted gaskets an such

and a VCDS to reset a parameter or two. (tell the computer you changed out the DPF)

Mr.Staplehead

TDI
you might need a couple assorted gaskets an such

and a VCDS to reset a parameter or two. (tell the computer you changed out the DPF)

Thank you. BuzzKen Has some takeoffs (I guess) he is getting rid of. I will gladly take one of his hands for the price he is offering as I am only repairing this till this Dieselgate stuff is over with when I get to buy a new one and turn this into a project car.:)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
someone was going to try to hot tank it. but no feedback.

and one member dropped his off with his DPF for cleaning when it was not cracked, but filled with ash at around 250,000 miles or so.