Selling a TDI in a post #Dieselgate world

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
The value our our cars is already dropping like a rock. Last night I took my '12 JSW DSG with 47K miles to Carmax. It scored 100% on the inspection...they said it is perfect in every possible way. They only offered me $13,500 due to "uncertain market conditions"
Right now their is going to be an overreaction due the market uncertainty of TDI and VW. If you can wait to sell/trade your car, I would.

Unfortunately, the demand for TDI is going to be less even once the issue corrected because the green crowd isn't going to be buying any 'clean' diesel again. The only way the value will go up with less demand is by dropping the supply. This would happen by buying back TDI (and not reselling them in the US market) or VW discontinuing new sales of TDI's.

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Right now their is going to be an overreaction due the market uncertainty of TDI and VW. If you can wait to sell/trade your car, I would.

Unfortunately, the demand for TDI is going to be less even once the issue corrected because the green crowd isn't going to be buying any 'clean' diesel again. The only way the value will go up with less demand is by dropping the supply. This would happen by buying back TDI (and not reselling them in the US market) or VW discontinuing new sales of TDI's.
Agreed, there are no good choices. I may just have to wait till March when the lease ends and take the hit on the mileage

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Out of curiosity, did the dealer know about this? If not, I assume you didn't bring it up.
I did not bring it up at the VW dealer and neither did they but clearly they had to know (how could they not?). It's normally a very busy VW dealer, especially on a Saturday, but you could hear a pin drop in there the day after the announcement.

In the end my wife ended up going with another brand who is also owned by the same group as the VW dealer and they honored the trade in value.
The other brand knew about it and the sales manager we worked with owns a Passat TDI so we discussed it at length.

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I did it! Ive been working it for a couple of days and finally found a dealer that will take my 12 JSW tdi, not try to screw me on the payoff, and sell me 16 GSW SE tsi for a great price. Im a happy camper.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
down, then UP?

I've heard alternative predictions that our TDIs will be worth MORE since there will be a delay in sales of existing NEW TDIs and potentially a delay in getting new competitive and compliant TDIs out, assuming VW keeps selling them.

I am certainly glad I own one. They can't sell them now!

ALBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sport Wagon
The only real bummer now is my Prius owning electric car officionado Uncle can really bust my huevos over my not so clean diesel lol.
Ask him about the emissions created by the plant that generates the electricity for his precious Prius. :rolleyes:

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
That would be a safe bet. A buddy of mine just picked up a 2015 Tig with a trade of his 2011 Golf TDI. He signed the deal 2 weeks ago.
Just for giggles I dropped in at the local Honda dealer and inquired about the 2016 HRV. Was curious on a trade in value for my '12 Golf TDI. I've always been on the flat end of the depreciation curve buying used so curious what a 3 year old car was worth.

Due to the fiasco, they wouldn't even look at my car....offer a price etc. Well, they did say $5K less than blue book. Out of courtesy of course!!!:(:(

Said that they were not going to or were allowed to take used TDIs into their inventory until the dust began to settle.

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG, 2015 MB GLK250
I just received a down payment and accepted an offer for $15,500 for the car. Transaction should finish up here on Friday. Buyer loves the car and commented that it still smelled "new". Helps that I have OCD when it comes to my vehicles.

dsnover

TDI
2012 Audi Q7 TDI
Can't wait!

For dealers to drop their used TDI prices.

I've been without a diesel since my 2000 Jetta TDI (300k miles) grenaded it's timing belt. I miss it.

My father has a '12 Sportwagen. He's been asking me what to do.

Me "Do you like the car?"
Him "Yes."
Me "Were you planning on selling it?"
Him "No"
Me "Anything change?"
Him "No"
Me "What are you worried about? Drive it and enjoy it. It's the same car you had before. You take it to me for service, not the dealer, and we don't have diesel emissions here. If you really are concerned, wait until VW has a solution, and it has been proven, and then, take it to the dealer for whatever fix they implement. Until then, why worry. It's the same car you loved yesterday."

Seriously. It's probably a great time to buy VW stock. Even better time to get that TDI you wanted.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
congrats on the sale

I just received a down payment and accepted an offer for $15,500 for the car. Transaction should finish up here on Friday. Buyer loves the car and commented that it still smelled "new". Helps that I have OCD when it comes to my vehicles.

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyer picked up the car on Friday. Fortunately for them they live in an area where the fix (whatever it may be) won't be required.

Picked up my new ride on Saturday.

I suppose that this is my unoffical goodbye to this form. Likely after owning the JSW and Tiguan it will probably be the last VAG product I own. Which is too bad because I was planning on an S4 down the road (will have to settle for something with an ///AMG badge instead).

So thank you all for the great info you've provided and I wish you all the best of luck as to what VW chooses to do to fix its non compliant vehicles.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Buyer picked up the car on Friday. Fortunately for them they live in an area where the fix (whatever it may be) won't be required.

Picked up my new ride on Saturday.

I suppose that this is my unoffical goodbye to this form. Likely after owning the JSW and Tiguan it will probably be the last VAG product I own. Which is too bad because I was planning on an S4 down the road (will have to settle for something with an ///AMG badge instead).

So thank you all for the great info you've provided and I wish you all the best of luck as to what VW chooses to do to fix its non compliant vehicles.
Good luck with the truck, Josh! :cool:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The thing that will bring price down is the pent up stock of 2015's and
2016's, when they go back on sale... and they will. They will be discounted.
This will affect price on the MK6 TDI's... Of course this is conjecture or
a SWAG.... "Scientific Wild A** Guess" on my part.

Opposite, TDI VW's are dead in NA and the MK6, but current cars are
grandfather'ed with a recall mod or not. Watch the price skyrocket.
Again wild speculation.... weeeeeeeee

Fun guessing. Over the long term, the effect on price will normalize, and
places like California or NY where they have strict emission laws will it
matter more. Other states the price will be the same.

I have 25K on a 2013 engine in my 2010 TDI JSW TDI. The DSG was just
done. I plan on keeping it 5-10 years more. So resale is moot to me.
Price is a function of supply and demand..... Everything that made them
great cars (and not so great) have not changed for the most part.

This makes me love my car even more.... ha ha

Last edited:

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI

Who obviously has nothing better to do with their free time. Gotta love Oregonians, especially the ones in Portland!!

Full disclosure: I grew up in Oregon and most of my family still lives there.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

The Suburban is also blowing 3x to 5x more CARBON DIOXIDE, because it burns that much more fuel. The tragedy is the many are unaware of this fact.

Choose your poison... make NHTSA happy spewing much less Carbon Dioxide, or meet the EPA requirements, and spew more Carbon Dioxide and oxides of Nitrogen back to mid nineties EPA requirement. In the nineties, the same person posting those would not even think twice about owning the TDI. BECAUSE it is fuel efficient, and that used to be the message.

By the way... the author of this flyer is no greenie. I have never heard an eco-friendly human promoting Suburbans! This is just a xenophobe finding a NEW WAY to criticize an import vehicle, pretending to join the "ecologically concerned". The comment on the origins of the company is another clue. Strange bedfellows.

Last edited:

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
Who obviously has nothing better to do with their free time. Gotta love Oregonians, especially the ones in Portland!!

Full disclosure: I grew up in Oregon and most of my family still lives there.
Yep, that's the democratic people's republic of Portland for you. There's a VERY good reason why I choose to live in the suburbs.

cowgirlkaboom

TDI
2011 Golf
Sorry I think you are kidding.... $17,000 for a 2011 is too much. KBB for an excellent car per your description, $14,800. If it where in pristine perfect condition, like new, $15,200. As far as the $10,000 offer, ha ha. Yea that is a line. Tell them to run along. they are scammers. The word NO, is a complete sentence. Did you make counter offer? Is the person serious? Doubt it. Black on black is a good color, but silver and white are more popular.
In the PNW these cars before dieselgate sold for well above bluebook. Pickups do also. They were hard to find. I bought my 2011 last December for nearly 20k with 20k miles. Often you had to drive to get it, I bought mine one state over as a result.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
In the PNW these cars before dieselgate sold for well above bluebook. Pickups do also. They were hard to find. I bought my 2011 last December for nearly 20k with 20k miles. Often you had to drive to get it, I bought mine one state over as a result.
I won't be surprised if these cars STILL hold their value over time. Right now, you CAN'T even buy a new one! If there is a drop in value over this, I think the values will climb right back up. Every time I drive my TDI, I still just love it!

woodypup

TDI
MkVI Golf (2010)
Got a Carmax quote today

Beaverton, Oregon Carmax
My 2010 Golf TDI, 4DR manual, "everything but leather and sunroof", 64K miles.
Carmax offer is $9000

I also asked another dealer (with whom I am negotiating a new e-Golf) and they said, without looking at my car, probably around $9000.

I'd say my car's value has dropped about 10-15% lower due to the scandal.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Beaverton, Oregon Carmax
Carmax offer is $9000
I also asked another dealer (with whom I am negotiating a new e-Golf) and they said, without looking at my car, probably around $9000.
Unless there's a forced buy back there's no way they are getting my car for that little unless they PILE on incentives.

Even then, carmax is selling similar cars with around 50-60k miles on them for around $14-15k as "value max".

So as it's been said before it's best to hold on to your car unless you absolutely need to get another.

sunkid

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG TDI
Beaverton, Oregon Carmax
Carmax offer is $9000
Just goes to show that the published KBB values aren't necessarily real world prices. FWIW, some KBB analyst was in the news last week saying that there had been a 13% drop for TDI models, yet the public info still has your Golf at around $12k with little change compared to pre-scandal values or the comparable non-TDI model: http://buybackmytdi.com/index.php/tdi-price-trends

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......KBB aside, I'd plan to continue driving my JSW TDI 6M. The possible 'fixes' would seem to include an emissions reduction.

How this will reduce FE is still largely anyone's guess.

10% would still give me 40.

Hope I'm not whistling in the dark (I like the car)

ez

bucilini

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
The fix for "dieselgate" will be fairly simple. Its software based, it will be programed to run on full emissions all the time, and VW will extend the emissions warranty to 120-150k miles and 5-6 years. Wait and see, but my money is on the above terms.

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
I reached out to my local VW dealer whom I bought the car from and inquired about a possibly trading my 11 golf TDI for a '16 GTI. Long and short of the convo was to hold off and wait if I "could" because right now I would be hard pressed to get 50 cents on the dollar on a trade. Mostly because of the uncertainty of the market and the fact that they cant resell it. :eek:

So awesome.

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
I reached out to buddy that works at a dealer here that had a 2013 GLI Autobahn with 43k and DSG there for sale. They quoted me 14,500 on trade for my 2013 TDI with 27k but still wanted too much in the end for the GLI so I walked. Didn't really want to get rid of my TDI anyway, was just curious. Super nice car though, the TSI is a nice engine.

Last edited: