Looking into buying a Sportwagen TDI 2010-2012

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
Hi folks,
My wifey needs a bigger car since we have a baby on the way and she wants a sportwagen tdi. I tried to convince her that the ALH Mk4 wagons are the way to go but that didn't go so well.

So here's the thing. We're on a budget, about 11k, but anything lower we can get the better. I've got VCDS and tools and am not afraid to use them, but I don't want to have to buy too many parts.

My understanding is the HPFP warranty is extended to 120 or 125k miles? Which is it?

I also heard that the DPF warranty was extended to 250k miles?

What are the warranties actually extended to?

I'm trying to judge relative worth of the cars we see for sale. I'm trying to price things based on keeping the car for 100,000 miles and 5-10 years.
How would you value the options, mileage, and conditions of the car given your knowledge and preferences?
*Moonroof: $300-600. KBB seems to put a $600 value on it. I think we'd like it and it would give the baby something to look at.
*Manual Trans: $500. KBB puts a $50 value on a manual trans. I would prefer the lower maintenance costs of a manual trans, though I hear if you do your own DSG fluid changes its affordable and pretty cheap.
*HPFP under warranty: $600. I think that will cover the cost of buying the add on 1um filter. I understand that the failures aren't that common, but its something I don't want to be caught with out of warranty. I can handle changing the HPFP itself but I don't want to have to replace everything.

Other than that, I don't know what other options we should be looking and and putting values on. Suggestions?

We've got a variety of cheap sportwagens that we see and are currently considering. The inventory turns over so if we miss them that's ok. Baby's not due till January.

Some examples:
119,000 miles. Manual. No problems. $10500
200,000 miles. Automatic. Some electrical bits and a cracked DPF. $8500.

Also, mechanically, what should I check before purchase?
I was thinking about checking the fuel filter for metal (I hear that's not very diagnostic though), and checking the appearance of the timing belt and the appearance of the cam and lifters (any cracking of the filters indicating a failed timing belt previously?).

Basically: $1000 of work on the car isn't a huge deal, but I don't want a time bomb that will cost more than $2000.

dadster

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen
Maybe a dumb question but why a TDI? The gasser version would come in either a lot cheaper for the same model year or a lot newr with lower mile at the same price.

I love my TDI and have it because I drive up to 300 miles a day. Will your wife have that kind of mileage requirement?

If not drive the gas version and see if it won't fit your needs and budget better. No DPF, no DSG, no HPF...

And it should do 200K miles with average maintenance.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
She drives a decent amount. We're estimating 20,000 miles a year, which puts the TDI saving $289 is fuel costs at current local prices over gas.
That's almost two months of car payments a year.

BTW, I thought the gas version was ONLY DSG and didn't come in manual.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Don't know where the idea of a 200k plus DPF warranty came from.

(if they do not crack, they can last to mid-200ks before the ash needs a clean-out)

you can buy a DPF with an X suffix for around $900 plus exchange.

there are 120k or ten year notes on the HPFP and the exhaust flap.

the DSG service is around $120, for fluid and filter every 40k miles

Last edited:

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I believe the '10-'12 gasoline cars have either a manual or a conventional automatic with torque converter , not the DSG.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
A used VW is a used VW.... you really have no warranty. If it breaks you
pay to fix it. If you are so concerned about warranty buy a new car. You
can get a loan and 1% interest with a few thousand down.... if warranty
is your thing go new.

You have a lot of bad info, but it really does not matter; if you are really on
a budget I would not get a VW... go Google best used car values and they
will be Hondas and Nissan's, Fords .... etc... German cars are expensive.
VW TDI's are infamous for $5,000 boo boos.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
She drives a decent amount. We're estimating 20,000 miles a year, which puts the TDI saving $289 is fuel costs at current local prices over gas.
That's almost two months of car payments a year.

BTW, I thought the gas version was ONLY DSG and didn't come in manual.
Not to talk you out of a TDI, but 20K per year seems on the low end of driving. If I keep one of our vehicles just slightly under that we get a low mileage discount from our insurance co.

For perspective, our 2012 was purchased around September if I'm remembering correctly and we already have 115k on it...roughly double the mileage you anticipate your wife driving. We get oil changes about every three months (at 10K).

You'll need to buy a comparable diesel at less than a few thousand dollar difference to see any "savings" within a decade.

Now our driving patterns are changing (and we have an ALH beetle for long hauls anyway, except the Sportwagen is too comfortable to bother using the beetle for long hauls anymore) so we almost bought an e-golf (except we didn't want a new set of payments and we also anticipated problems getting the electric car home from the dealer due to distance).

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
2009-12 HPFP extended warranty = 10 years / 120,000 miles as long as you have the "misfueling guard" installed and no contaminated fuel is detected.

DPF is covered under United States Federal Emissions act warranty = 8 years / 80,000 miles. Some dealerships offer reduced repair rates thereafter depending on circumstances and their mood of the day.

With VCDS and no fear of DIY belt jobs and maint, id say go for the TDI JSW - Pano, Nav, sound etc. to keep the mrs happy 10 yrs. :)

You can then ignore ethanol % debates the corn lobbyists seem to enjoy threatening petrol heads with every year or so. Still no relief from some dictator sneezing in the middle east with wall street speculators jacking our fuel prices 50% overnight though :mad: ..just like clockwork.

TDI
JSW2010
Probably said it somewhere else, but had planned on trading in my TDI for a Tacoma this coming week. I have a call into the dealership if that is something they will still consider. I've also got private parties interested, but not knowing responsibilities and being in CA, I am leary to sell to a private party right now.

Anyone done a trade in recently? (I'm done with the car, while a $$ hit would be unfortunate, I'm fine within reason).

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there a how to on changing the DPF and cleaning/changing the EGR?

We might not drive as much as some of you guys, but I still like the TDI and don't mind doing all my own work.

We're also looking for fuel efficient gassers which will have enough room too, so we're exploring other angles too.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a TDI, I was just pointing out that if you're doing it purely to save that fuel money you quoted there are other costs involved to consider.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
20,000 a year is not "on the lower end of driving". The average American drives 11,000 a year.

Just saying
TDI drivers are not average American drivers so comparing our driving patterns with theirs is irrelevant.

More to the point, it's on the lower end of the equation he was trying to calculate between saving money on fuel costs vs. cost of ownership.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
I realize that the dpf is basically a regular maintenance item and replacing it every 100k negates any fuel savings at the current cost of fuel. However, the tdi will be a lot more fun to drive than a Gasser.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I have owned TDIs for a decade. Average annual driving miles is about 12,000. Not sure anyone would assume TDI drivers all drive more miles. I wonder if there has been a poll on the forum?

BACK on topic...OP should look now for used wagons. The NOx emission defeat scandal will mean at least a $1000 better price.

Great time to buy!!!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure anyone would assume TDI drivers all drive more miles.
No one made that assumption.

When asked why he wanted a TDI he replied that his wife is going to drive a lot of miles and he anticipated saving on fuel costs.

Obviously it's relevant to point out that she would have to drive a lot more miles than 20,000 a year to justify it purely on economic terms. :rolleyes:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
TDIs with high mileage early (more than 20k per year) were probably lots of highway miles. 10k every three months is certainly the extreme (like truckers mile accumulation!). Benefit there is that the TDI is a long life engine block, and time takes a toll on the body, other components. If I were looking for a used TDI, a high annual mileage car would be something to look seriously at. Could get some discount for miles on a late model TDI.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The DPF is not supposed to be a maintenance item. It is supposed to be checked at 100,000 miles, and at regular intervals (I don't recall them) thereafter. Once the ash load gets high enough you are supposed to replace (or clean) them. There are people with over 200,000 on their original DPF.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
TDIs with high mileage early (more than 20k per year) were probably lots of highway miles. 10k every three months is certainly the extreme (like truckers mile accumulation!). Benefit there is that the TDI is a long life engine block, and time takes a toll on the body, other components. If I were looking for a used TDI, a high annual mileage car would be something to look seriously at. Could get some discount for miles on a late model TDI.
Thanks for telling me I am extreme... :D (just shy of 40K/year average)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Don't know where the idea of a 200k plus DPF warranty came from.

(if they do not crack, they can last to mid-200ks before the ash needs a clean-out)

you can buy a DPF with an X suffix for around $900 plus exchange.

there are 120k or ten year notes on the HPFP and the exhaust flap.

the DSG service is around $120k for fluid and filter every 40k miles
That's one very expensive dealer you have there, charging $120k for a DSG service...

I think I paid around $700 for the complete 40k service including DSG at my dealer. Some people get it done for half of that, apparently.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
comma, k comma, k comma chamelion

That's one very expensive dealer you have there, charging $120k for a DSG service...

I think I paid around $700 for the complete 40k service including DSG at my dealer. Some people get it done for half of that, apparently.

darn k is too close to the comma on my keyboard.:D

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I will weigh in on the roof , I love mine but it has been a PITA, I dumped over a grand into it, new motor and I think new frame, and that was at a guru not a dealership, to me it is worth it but I keep it open a ton but the down side are if you have black interior the roof lets in a lot of sun, i almost never use my sun screen, and you have to keep the tubes cleaned out not to hard but again a PITA, the dsg is great and not to pricey every 40k, if you want one find someone who wants to bail and get a deal. keep in mind a Timing belt, water pump is due at 120k or 130 K depending on the year and that is a good amount of change say around $1,000 at a guru.

Beck2013

TDI
2010 JSW
I just put mine up for sale. I have a Subaru and I don't drive nearly as much. Mine is a 2010 with 134,000 miles. I have done the timing belt and water pump, other than maintenance mine has been trouble free. The space it offers is great!