Yet another Sportwagen Fog Light Install

galexandr

TDI
JSW 2012
Installed fog lights with Euro Auto Switch. I must say, it wast very difficult, it took about 2 hours to get everything set up. Result is quiet noticeable IMHO.

UBUGME

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen Gray
Installed fog lights with Euro Auto Switch. I must say, it wast very difficult, it took about 2 hours to get everything set up. Result is quiet noticeable IMHO.
Very nice. I took me about two hours also. It was all worth the time. Nice looking car.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
I still haven't gotten mine in after 3 years. Put the fogs in and still haven't had a chance to wire them up. Guess that's what 2 little kids will do to you. Things have finally started to slow down so got the wife to agree to help me get the rest done and black out the chrome trim one of these weekend nights. Yes I'm truly living the dream

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Some questions to the OP:
-You do understand that your fog lights need to be aimed, right?
-Does cornering light feature work on your car?

UBUGME

Veteran Member
TDI
Some questions to the OP:
-You do understand that your fog lights need to be aimed, right?
-Does cornering light feature work on your car?
I did not have to aim my lights. They were both 4 inches below where the regular headlights beamed on the wall.

Cornering lights will not work. The wires are not routed through the CECM. The trigger wire is connected to pin 5 on the euro switch. Can not use VCDS to code anything for the fogs because the CECM does not know they are there.

CarrboroTDI

TDI
2011None now. Old: JSW 6spd, Bilsteins, Eibach sport springs, rear anti-sway. 2003 Golf 4dr 5spd (sold)
pics - and a few notes on my install
The install is overall easy. A few of the difficult or slightly frustrating parts included:

1) Removing the small lower grills - I was worried about breaking things. After removal, I can see that the tabs on the outside of the small lower grills fit into a slot and are not meant to release easy. Start from the inside (medial) of the grill when removing them.

2) Removing the center lower grill - Same funny feeling that things will break when trying to pull this out. In my case, I was installing a replacement low center grill, as my old one was broken. The old one broke further as I removed it. No tips from me - I'll be nervous next time, too (suggestions from other??).

3) I think my kit, purchased from OEM+, was good and I liked the parts, including the harness; however, the trigger wire was a thicker gauge wire than any of the other wires that fed into the headlight switch via the clip. Fitting the trigger wire in required a little paring down of the insulation with a scalpel so the wire would fit into the clip. Also, I had to open the clip up to feed the trigger wire and it's terminal into the clip (use a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver to release the catch on the clip, then used same small jewelers screwdriver to help push the terminal all the way into the clip).

4) Any other difficulties were posted by me as questions earlier, but for a concise review:
~~ I guess I didn't need a highline module (whew)
~~ Idiot lights that lit up after reconnecting the battery went away after turning the steering wheel from limit to limit.
~~ and, most embarrassing to me: you need to PULL out on the Euroswitch to light up your fogs :)

The rest of the install followed the various guides/how-to's that have been posted. Thanks to those who have produced and posted them and to those who answered my silly questions when I needed help (tleader!).

CarrboroTDI

TDI
2011None now. Old: JSW 6spd, Bilsteins, Eibach sport springs, rear anti-sway. 2003 Golf 4dr 5spd (sold)
I still haven't gotten mine in after 3 years. Put the fogs in and still haven't had a chance to wire them up. Guess that's what 2 little kids will do to you. ...
Emerscape - thanks for making me feel better, as it only took me 2 1/2 years to get mine installed. Must be the 2 kid thing that effected me, too.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I just installed mine, was a little aprehensive about the quality potential of a whole fog kit that cost less than a single part oem, but honestly fit was fine, they look ok, plastic matches etc, and didnt feel brittle even though it was about 35 degrees when I installed them.

took about 2 hours as others have said, and didn't take any real imagination or skill. I used some heavy reusable plastic epoxy stir/ filleting tools to get the grills off, went pretty well, snapped one tab on passenger side, driver side came right out.

the Fog light harness wires were a little more generous than necessary especially the trigger wire, and I ended up bundling all the excess under the fuse box out of the way, all in all looks pretty neat, maybe I'll cut it apart and take out the excess, but it was getting chilly and I was loosing interest in the project.

The only other take away I have is that when you lock the doors with the fog lights on, they do not turn off like the parking lights do, hopefully I wont forget to shut my fog lights off, it does ding, so shouldn't be too hard.

a1a2a4b5

TDI
2010 JSW, Blue Graphite Mettalic, Panoramic Sunroof, Cold Weather Package, 18" Black Khartoum wheels, Foglights installed
Wiring help

Hi folks,

Am about to do the fog install on my JSW. Can you tell me how/where you routed the wires to get to the actual fog light harnesses? I'm more curious about the passenger side.. did you route the wires via the rear of the engine or down the front driver side? And regardless of the route..any tips?

Thanks!

UBUGME

Veteran Member
TDI
I just did the instructions from ECS Tuning. I routed through the driver side. Tips, take your time pulling the side covers so they don't break.

a1a2a4b5

TDI
2010 JSW, Blue Graphite Mettalic, Panoramic Sunroof, Cold Weather Package, 18" Black Khartoum wheels, Foglights installed
I just did the instructions from ECS Tuning. I routed through the driver side. Tips, take your time pulling the side covers so they don't break.
Thanks buddy. So just to clarify, both L and R wires from the battery to the driver's side. Then route the passenger side wires through the bumper? Did you have to remove the center grille or just use a hanger to pull it through?

Appreciate the help!

UBUGME

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks buddy. So just to clarify, both L and R wires from the battery to the driver's side.
Yes

Then route the passenger side wires through the bumper?
There is an access behind the battery to the cabin. Is located to the right of the brake booster.

I routed the blue cable through the access cap.

Did you have to remove the center grille or just use a hanger to pull it through?
No I did not. I used a wire hanger to pull the cables.

Last edited: