Message from the Lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Received my first "offer" in the mail from lawyers wanting to "discuss" my "options." Seems to me the reasons I chose JSW TDIs were: utility, quality, handling, and fuel economy. Low emissions were not a major reason for my choice, although I presumed I was getting that, too.

I don't excuse VW for their emissions software subterfuge, but for me, I still have utility, quality, handling and fuel economy. Low emissions I don't have, although no one has been killed in a VW diesel because of that. I see no reason to do anything except wait to see if VW can fix it. I know that the EPA has been fooled—and VW will pay a heavy price for that— but I don't feel I've personally been that fooled.

If some people bought these cars for fuel economy only, and driving and handling were not important, then they really should have bought Priuses. If they bought them because they thought they were getting low emissions and the other factors were not significant for them, then their feelings are undoubtedly hurt.

I know people sue manufacturers over safety issues, and rightfully so, but do they also sue because their feeling are hurt?

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
I am not joining any class action lawsuit where the lawyers take 30% of the settlement. I had some lawyer try to justify class action lawsuits were a bargain for consumer because he usually gets 40% of the settlement.

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
I am an allied health provider in a line of work where my clients know what I drive. Those clients need to have strong confidence in my judgement and responsibility. There are some people who don't get that it's not practical for me to simply "choose" a greener car. See the nasty flier left on a TDI in Portland.

If even one client or prospective client thinks less of me because I am driving a TDI, than my business has suffered material damage. My feelings aren't hurt, I don't expect any big pay out, I'm not saying the harm was big.

But VW betrayed my confidence that a Golf TDI would have no effect on my professional reputation. I expect VW to compensate me for that.

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
With all that said, i am hoping VW makes a good-will offer to affected owners sufficient to induce us to waive participation in a class action.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
In my line of work, it's important that people have confidence in my knowledge, resourcefulness, capabilities, and competence. Many of my customers know what I drive and couldn't give two $!#% about it. My ability to solve problems is what they judge me one and not what I drive. It has no effect on my professional reputation because it's just a car and not some inherent expression of my character, lifestyle, political views, or professional credibility.

I have no expectations of compensation unless the upgrade jacks up my car. I would prefer to skip it if it introduces additional problems. There's no need to pursue a remedy for a problem which has not occurred yet. I expect VW to compensate me for...nothing but it would be nice if the gave me special help to get my Tiguan replaced with an Audi A3.

I can not imagine a career where a clean diesel Golf is going to make or break someone materially.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.