Need help! Dealer won't replace DPF

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
Hey guys here's my issue, p0401 code and sooty tale pipe, took it to dealer told them DPF was cracked, they reflashed my computer and sent me on my way, the next day MIL back on and to the dealer again. They told me there was a tube going from exhaust that was broke and that was the problem. I asked them if it was EGR filter and if so don't change it. They wanted $500 to chenge the u know tube so after a call to VWOA I paid just labor. I picked the car up to find out the changer the EGR filter! I flipped out on dealer telling them they didn't properly check to see why the EGR filter was clogged and the check the DPF by sticking his finger in the hole to see if it was sooty. They did not check the DPF and said since the check engine light was off the problem was fixed as far as they were concerned. After calling VWOA again and sending the tsb for the procedure on checking the DPF and saying why didn't you check this they said that Tsb was not for my car and that since the check engine light is off they do t wanna do anything for me. I'm now looking to take legal action against the dealer can someone please point me in the right direction to take next!

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Some questions: 1. Does the TSB apply to your car or not? 2. If the DPF is cracked and you are out of warranty, you will have to pay for replacement? 3. What does it say on the work order you signed?

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
1. No the tsb I sent them does not apply to my car. Yes when the EGR filter clogs again they said if I'm outside 80,000 miles they won't do anything for me. It says they replaced EGR filter, I'll take a picture of it when I get home

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the text in the TSB seems to indicate the 2010 Jetta TDI would be covered

it sounds like the dealer did not make the connection.

I would be tempted to write a nice letter to VW of America, with a copy of the TSB, and paperwork from the dealer. (and a couple photos of your tail pipe including a photo of a paper towel wiped inside the pipe)

Might want to copy the BBB.

How many miles you have on the car now?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Your Exhaust system is under warranty until 80,000 miles. Point out it is under warranty, and call VWoA customer support. This is FEDERAL law... and the emission system is key, which I am sure you know based on the news. To be honest I am not sure what is going on? Is the DPF cracked or not? If it is a tube part of the pollution control (which the EGR is) that I feel is covered by warranty. However step one is to make sure you understand the problem and document it. The TSB is irrelevant to me, I am thinking this is a 80K emission warranty claim issue. I could be wrong.

The cost of the replacement of DPF I don't know, but a lawyer is going to cost about $1,500 retainer. if you can even find an attorney to do consumer law, most are chasing personal injury, divorce and criminal... Get all your data together and see if one will give you a free consultation. In general you may get cost of repair and maybe legal fee...

However there is DIY ways to bring legal action or at least put pressure on dealer. To save legal fee, I'd encourage you researching small claims court law and processes in your area, and bring suit on your own. It can take time, effort and cost filing fees ($100 typically)... However VW is hoping you just go away. DPF should not crack. There are a lot of people who have complained about it on this forum. Also look at the NHTSA website. You will find some complaints about this issue I am sure. If you don't see NHTSA complaints of the issue, file your own complaint with NHTSA. VW knows about the problem I am sure. You are not the first to complain.

Also in the DIY "negation" make firm and friendly demands and lay out consequences and actions you will take if they don't fix the car. Don't talk to low level service writer at the desk. Have a meeting with dealership owner, general manager and last service manager in that order in private. You can also file complaint with BBB, tell them your intent to pursue this. You can leave negative google, yelp, yellow page reviews, along with social media posts and videos. If they will not listen to you get their attention.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Or just straight pipe it and drive by the dealership and chunk your crap out the window. :cool:

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
the same thing sort of happened to me. I have a somewhat sooty tailpipe. and 2 codes, the p0401 and the one that is for slow response..i think its 402. They told me the somewhat sooty tailpipe was normal. Bumper isn't covered in soot, so maybe they are right? They said DPF checked out fine and that I have a cracked EGR pipe...sounds like the same thing they told me...and also told me it would be $500 to fix. I haven't fixed it yet - thinking about taking it to another dealer to see if they say the same thing. They claimed they did the swipe test (at the egr / dpf connection?) and it came back clean, but I'm not so sure they actually did. if i swipe my finger in my tailpipe (at the bumper) it certainly isn't clean. The main reason I've been slacking taking it to another dealer is $100 just to scan the codes, even though I know what they are already.

i want to straight pipe mine...but i'm at 75k miles and now waiting on this whole dieselgate mess to see what happens. car drives fine.

btw i was told DPF is covered under emissions warranty, but EGR isn't.

Last edited:

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I went to get coffee this am and BINGO P0401 on again after 1,000 miles I clogged the EGR filter again! Let's see what excuses The dealership has now!

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
You might want to investigate the "Lemon Law" in your state. They vary widely from state to state, but many specify that some specific number of failed attempts to repair the same problem constitute a lemon. Sounds like your dealer has begun the countdown.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Update: I went to get coffee this am and BINGO P0401 on again after 1,000 miles I clogged the EGR filter again! Let's see what excuses The dealership has now!

I have to say, in this case, for you, it should be good news.

they really should eat the rest of the cost, dpf, second EGR, and labor all around.

Last edited:

Atoz

TDI
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan
OP: Keep us posted on what happens. Same thing just happened to me last week with my '09 (I know... different forum), but I've got 149,000 on the clock. P0401, slightly sooty tailpipe. They told me DPF cracked; $5600 to fix. Trying to determine course of action.

Dealer: Strong's VW, SLC, UT.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OP: Keep us posted on what happens. Same thing just happened to me last week with my '09 (I know... different forum), but I've got 149,000 on the clock. P0401, slightly sooty tailpipe. They told me DPF cracked; $5600 to fix. Trying to determine course of action.

Dealer: Strong's VW, SLC, UT.
big difference in less than 80k and over 150k

for your 2009,
unless you have a critical need to get it to pass inspection,

I would consider waiting for the emissions update.

any change to include a DEF system will mean they will have to replace the N2 cat, and since it is attached to the DPF/DOC on the '09, that will have to go as well.

Might want to look at getting a VCDS and scanning every week or so to keep track that no additional errors come up while you wait.

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
Went to the dealer with a sooty tailpipe(none on bumper) and P0401 the other day. New DPF being installed for free due to Federal law(65k miles so far).

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Went to the dealer with a sooty tailpipe(none on bumper) and P0401 the other day. New DPF being installed for free due to Federal law(65k miles so far).

did they make you pay for an EGR filter?

Atoz

TDI
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan
big difference in less than 80k and over 150k

for your 2009,
unless you have a critical need to get it to pass inspection,

I would consider waiting for the emissions update.

any change to include a DEF system will mean they will have to replace the N2 cat, and since it is attached to the DPF/DOC on the '09, that will have to go as well.

Might want to look at getting a VCDS and scanning every week or so to keep track that no additional errors come up while you wait.
I'm not taking any action at the moment, as the car runs just fine. I am holding out for the emissions update, and hoping the problem might be self-correcting. However, I have a smog test due in February, and I'm fairly sure VW will not have the solution (whatever that is) ready in time.

Guess I'll apply with the state for an emissions waiver due to excessive repair cost and hope for the best.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not taking any action at the moment, as the car runs just fine. I am holding out for the emissions update, and hoping the problem might be self-correcting. However, I have a smog test due in February, and I'm fairly sure VW will not have the solution (whatever that is) ready in time.

Guess I'll apply with the state for an emissions waiver due to excessive repair cost and hope for the best.
Good luck,

it really does not make a lot of sense to spend $$ for a new NOX cat (needed with the DPF for the 09 only) now, since it seems likely that VW will replace it as part of the emissions fix.