Wobble

TDIFella

TDI
2010 sportwagen
Death Wobble possible??

I have a wobble in the rear end of my car when I'm going around corners. It really gets worse the faster I go. Its not too bad going 60-65 but its there and really gets pretty bad when you start geting going over 70 it starts getting pretty bad.

I was wondering if it could be a rear bushing or arm or something along those lines.

I do have a slightly bent rim in the right rear rim. That has a shutter on higher speeds but I really dont think this is the problem.

Im pretty handy when it come to wrenching but I haven't had the jacked the car up in awhile so I haven't check the wheels for play.

Any input would be helpful.

I drive a 2010 sportwagen it has 172,000+ but has done this since 142,000 when I bought the car.

I love the car its been a blast to drive and I am thinking that this could be a pretty average problem that some of you have ran into.

thanks fellas

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I had a wobble one time on my 2000. I had replaced a rear wheel bearing and the axle nut loosened on me. I would go around a curve and the rear would shift slightly to the side. I guess I wouldn't really call mine a wobble. Probably has more to do with your rear wheel bushing unless the rear wheel nut isnt tight for some reason.

Put the rear in the air and see if you can wiggle the tires. Hold them at the 12 and 6 position and again at the 3 and 9. If they wiggle see if the axle nut is loose. 30mm 12 point socket.

Wait yours is newer the socket size may be different.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
a bent rim or posibly damaged tire could certaily cause an issue, I would start by rotating tires and see if the issue moves, then swap in the spare to id the bad rim/ tire. Otherwise I would check for play in the bushings or a bent control arm.

MGraham

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Golf SE TDI, 2016 Golf GTI.
You might check the front suspension as well. A bad lower control arm ball joint or loose bolts or bushings can cause instability in turning. If you are checking wheel bearings remember that the calipers prevent movement of the hub. You might have to remove them to check. Wheel bearings will usually be accompanied by noise. Just my 2 cents worth.

TDIFella

TDI
2010 sportwagen
Im thinking its a bushing or something like that, I've replace several wheel bearing on other cars and trucks. There is no grinding or scraping noise.

Im thinking a bushing or something to do with the steering or control arm, or sway bar.