VW trucks heading stateside?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
'Dog, I couldn't agree more. If VW took the "toy" route, I bet there are more people who want one than anybody thinks (right now) - this is the time to MOVE! :cool:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I want a toy then. A small mini pickup that is efficient and useful for small loads. I don't need or want a stump pulling monster. Those already exist aplenty.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have more need for the longer bed than for the crew cab. I really like an extended cab but VW doesn't have that option any where. Pushes me more towards the new Colorado when and if it gets here.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I want a toy then. A small mini pickup that is efficient and useful for small loads. I don't need or want a stump pulling monster. Those already exist aplenty.
Yup. I looked at a Tacoma prior to settling on my TDI. I really wanted another truck...but smaller (I was coming from a 1/2 ton truck), but couldn't stomach a sizable vehicle payment AND ****ty fuel economy. If it had been a diesel (they don't have such a thing in the states), it would have been a no brainer for me.

Edit:
As long as VW only offers the Amarok in the quad cab and fully loaded, it will attract the same poeple that have looked at and possibly bought a Ridgeline. VW does have a tough road ahead to get anyone that really uses and abuses a truck on a daily basis to look at the Amarok. It took Toyota several years and a few remodels to get anyone to start buying their large truck.
That's what...1% of the truck buying crowd? Seriously...the vast majority of pickup trucks in the states will only get a scratch because of a stray shopping cart.

I agree though that if they were to offer only a quad cab, it would limit the potential buyers. At the end of the day...the shorter bed length (with most truck models...quad cabs have a 1' shorter bed than extended cab models) was one thing that just drove me nuts about my F-150 SuperCrew. Great truck...tiny bed.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I used to have a 1978 Toyota mini pickup. That thing was golden for me. If I could have it today with TDI I would be in heaven. Economical transportation yet still be able to haul light loads and trailers.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
GM, Toyota, and VW don't play we'll together anymore. It gets in the way of global dominance. :D

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
For a quadcab? That's all you can buy in Mexico, and the only remotely possible model that would make it here (profit margin). How many times do you need room for more than one passenger? How often do you see a truck with more than one person in it? Maybe you are hauling kids, and don't want two vehicles, but most quad cabs still have new passenger seats years after purchase.

Dodge V6 ecodiesel is available in a 4WD Tradesman long bed single cab (actually decent amount of room behind the seat). There's one (brand new) on ebay for $30k. Dealership in North Carolina.
Check it out on ebay. How can Amarok compete with this?
Search for:
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Tradesman RC 4WD EcoDiesel
NEW 2014 DODGE RAM 1500 4WD ECODIESEL TRADESMAN

It's an eight speed auto, and won't get 30mpg if you are not on the highway, but Amarok probably won't either, and won't be available in anything except quadcab ultrashort bed if a miracle occurs and VW decides to sell it here, and it will cost a lot more.

The only way VW can distinguish the Amarok is to offer a 6MT in a single or extended single cab longbed (minimum 6 feet). I do not see that happening.

The longbed Ecodiesel Dodge might be more truck than I need, but it makes more sense to me than a quadcab micro bed city truck. TDI or not, a quadcab is no worktruck. Then again, my ancient Toyota has no lien, hauls a trailer (slowly, but surely), and climbs like a goat. Only a 6MT longbed 4WD TDI could possibly get me to buy an Amarok. How likely is that? Even 6MT is a longshot!

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So I found a quote without referances (disclaimer!!) so I can't vouch for validity...
Exactly. Whoever wrote that may as well be blowing farts.

If VW were actually going to bring a truck in, and it was a done deal, it would be far more prevalent in the press than an obscure unattributable "quote".

And besides, any such talks with the dealer body would take about 2 minutes:

"Hey, you dealers want us to bring a truck?"

"<Bleep> yeah!! What's taking you guys so <bleep>ing long to get it here??? And don't forget the TDI drivetrain!"

"So what kind of accessory packages do we need here?"

"Easy. You already have the platform, so no need to re-engineer that. We need a low-end, cheap, 6-sp stripper model for fleets and utility minded customers. A TDI must be available. We need a middle one with nicer stuff available, and a high end with all the bells and whistles. Obviously, you won't sell high volume on the high end. But the low end needs to be reasonable. A stripper fleet PU, 6-sp stick, retailing about $20k with the TDI drivetrain will sell like brauts and beer at Oktoberfest."

Will this ever happen? Nah.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For a quadcab? That's all you can buy in Mexico, and the only remotely possible model that would make it here (profit margin). How many times do you need room for more than one passenger? How often do you see a truck with more than one person in it? Maybe you are hauling kids, and don't want two vehicles, but most quad cabs still have new passenger seats years after purchase.

Dodge V6 ecodiesel is available in a 4WD Tradesman long bed single cab (actually decent amount of room behind the seat). There's one (brand new) on ebay for $30k. Dealership in North Carolina.
Check it out on ebay. How can Amarok compete with this?
Search for:
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Tradesman RC 4WD EcoDiesel
NEW 2014 DODGE RAM 1500 4WD ECODIESEL TRADESMAN

It's an eight speed auto, and won't get 30mpg if you are not on the highway, but Amarok probably won't either, and won't be available in anything except quadcab ultrashort bed if a miracle occurs and VW decides to sell it here, and it will cost a lot more.

The only way VW can distinguish the Amarok is to offer a 6MT in a single or extended single cab longbed (minimum 6 feet). I do not see that happening.

The longbed Ecodiesel Dodge might be more truck than I need, but it makes more sense to me than a quadcab micro bed city truck. TDI or not, a quadcab is no worktruck. Then again, my ancient Toyota has no lien, hauls a trailer (slowly, but surely), and climbs like a goat. Only a 6MT longbed 4WD TDI could possibly get me to buy an Amarok. How likely is that? Even 6MT is a longshot!
When I bought my avalanche, it was a replacement for a minivan so I still needed seating for at least 4. There were enough times that I hauled 6 to make it worth it. Now I have a longer bed canyon that fits today's needs better. That's the only setup I would consider as a replacement.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
The most NO brainer Sales decision ever. The need for a Full Size or at least Colorado size (not Tacoma size) TRUCK by VW in NA. Like...how difficult can this be for one of the biggest manufacturers in the world. Quit dinking around with EOS and other Low volume stuff that steals engineering, plant, planning resources and go after the VOLUME. VW is bigger than Ford. VW is bigger than Chrysler. VW wants to increase volume desperately now. Why is this so hard? If GM can build trucks why cant VW?? So maybe they are a bit more expensive...who cares? They wont dominate in NA but easily could outsell Nissan trucks. VW is BIGGER than Nissan No? Nissan is doing a Full size with a Cummins soon. This is such a hard decision for VW? I better stop ranting...

sengert

Hey VWoA... you could have owned this market!!!

At the very least, don't let it slip away now, bring us the Amarok in all forms (especially competitive ones on mileage and options).

If you REALLY need signs from above here's your first one courtesy of GM and the new Canyon/Colorado.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/17/chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-sales-success-third-shift/#continued

And don't look now, but Toyota is revamping the HiLux/Tacoma as can be seen in many spy shot articles.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Do we remember early 80's Datsun Diesel P/U ?
I remember Isuzu and Toyota had them. Naturally aspired 50-something hp slowpokes like the diesel Rabbit, but they got great mileage and climbed like goats!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Do we remember early 80's Datsun Diesel P/U ?
Yep, I had an '85 Mitsubishi with a small TD engine. What I discovered was there were no parts available in the US for this silly thing. The shop that rebuilt the head for me was able to find one set of piston rings in the entire country :eek:. And then I didn't put a good enough hone on the cylinders and they never really did seat well. :eek:

But I did run B100 in it (or maybe the pump was only B99). My wife even commented it smelled better.

Even though Dodge sold a clone if the Mits as the D50, they never seemed to catch on here. I have a feeling that If I had done a better job putting the engine back together, it would have run pretty well. As is was, it smoked pretty bad, but it was fun to drive. :)

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/23/volkswagen-tristar-truck-concept-hannover-official/

If priced right, this could carve out a decent niche in the pickup marketplace. No one buys VW products because of their legendary reliability, excellent dealership network, or best in class warranty. This is why I think the Amarok would sell poorly; no one will buy it now that the Colorado is on the market with its upcoming small diesel.

This, on the other hand, is a unique product (kind of like the diesel, manual transmission station wagon that only VW sells) that would sell because there is nothing out there to compete with it. Make a jacked up version for the off-road crowd, and offer a five seater and/or longer bed as options for those of us who don't have to worry about parallel parking.

It even has a name that most people could spell when they do an internet search.

Jim B PEI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5M, (2010 Golf wagon DSG GONE, replaced by a 2014 Subaru Forester)
Well, if its any consolation, VW Canada will be bringing in a TDI Tiguan for the Canadian market at least...for the 2017 model year. Then, the Jaws of Life, and an additional roll bar, might turn that into a pickup truck. Might play hob with your VW of Canada warranty though.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If we got the T van here, I might dream of this being offered here, but as it is right now, we'll see the amarok long before that.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
The old Transporter pickup seems to be the great grandad of this Tristar concept I like the flipside:
http://seattlesparkedcars.blogspot.com/2012/05/1971-vw-transporter-pickup.html
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3114157-1960-Transporter-Ice-Cream-Truck-Project-Thoughts
https://flic.kr/p/93gLss

But it has car suspension, like the Caddy.

The VW commercial flipside flatbeds are excellent worktrucks, probably more likely to take US market share than Tristar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66kDRc3pmwU

Google "transporter plataforma" to see LOTs of these in action.

Want a more extreme flatbed for rough terrasin?
http://www.caron.it/serie-CT-CTK_eng.php

Still a viable sales market for these:
http://www.volkswagen-comerciales.es/es/models/transporter_plataforma.html

The bigger Crafter series are not for typical family use (!) but also available.

There's definitely offshore competition for a pickup and flipside (from Isuzu here).
Of course, the new models are all available with TD engines.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles-india/150948-isuzu-launches-d-max-rs-5-99-lakhs.html

I like the Isuzu TD flipside. I'd buy one. I know many people like the more comfortable quadcab trucks like Avalanche, but I still think there's a market for small tough TD pickup truck here.

Just sucks that we get NONE in North America.

Last edited:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Funny.

Thread started out with new word that the VW Caddy (a Transit Connect competitor) might come here. Now its morphed into they should bring the Sprinter/Transit competitor here.

Ford showed how much work it takes to convert the big euro vans to US spec with bigger diesels and gas V6s.

The Big vans wont happen. The Caddy should and can with the tdi and perhaps a 1.8 T gasser

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't worry. We won't see any of them in North America anyway. There was talk about Golf plus as well. That model might be closer to a Caddy/Connect, but don't hold your breath for that either! Maybe it all goes back to CARB.

We'd all like TD option for so many different types of vehicles from ANY manufacturer in NA. Caddy is flavor of the week. Tiguan, Passat Wagon, and a small work truck are high on the list as well.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For imported trucks, it all goes back to the chicken tax. Only way around it is to build in US or Canada.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Kjclow---does NAFTA have a exemption for autos or would mexico also be an option? just wondering, not countering the chicken tax point.

added: i think i read in another thread that you would be "laid up" for a few weeks, hope all is well and your recovery is progressing. sorry if i have you confused with another member.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Waltz, from what I remember, the chicken tax does not include anything coming out of Mexico, but I could be confused.

Thanks for the well wishes. I had a heart valve repair in August and start cardiac rehab next week. I'll be off work through the first part of November. It's frustrating when there are things I know I could do earlier this summer that I am either not allowed to do or don't have the energy. Truck needs an oil change but since no one is driving, I guess it can wait. My bigger worry, which I know isn't much, is that the JSW has been sitting since mid August without anyone driving it. I guess I will throw some ps into it before firing it up next week.

Last edited:

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I remember Isuzu and Toyota had them. Naturally aspired 50-something hp slowpokes like the diesel Rabbit, but they got great mileage and climbed like goats!
I love my P'ups! Owned a 1982 back in the day. Currently own a 1983 4X4 & just last week bought a 1987 4X4. The '83 has more rust than I'm comfortable dealing with, so it will donate it's diesel engine to the '87 that has a rust-free & nearly perfect body. 38 MPG in a 4X4 truck isn't too shabby! :D