VW Rust warranty

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
So I've been going back and forth with dealer over some rust issues. They took pictures, then they took more pictures, etc. So today someone from VWoC came down to look at it. End result is they're going to fix the hatch but not the roof.

What I found interesting is that the roof isn't getting fixed because it has roof racks. I did point out that these were factory racks, not something I installed. Doesn't matter was the explanation, if you have roof racks the warranty is voided for the roof.

Since I didn't buy the car new my question is, could/can you even buy a Jetta TDI wagon, in any year, and -not- get the racks ?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
All MK4 wagons that I have seen, have the side rails....the cross bars would be the extra attachment.
If the dealer is talking about the side rails voiding the warranty....that's crap, they are standard on the car.

Plus, the cross bars don't even touch the paint!!...how could that void a rust warranty??!!

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Tsagoth said:
So I've been going back and forth with dealer ....
This past week I had the hatch covered under warranty and by the looks of what volkswagen said, everything is covered for 12 year unlimited miles

Here is my post.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
BrianCT said:
This past week I had the hatch covered under warranty and by the looks of what volkswagen said, everything is covered for 12 year unlimited miles
Yes, that's what they say, but the reality is somewhat different. My hatch is rusted on both the left and right edges on the inside, close to where the interior cloth is. They were puzzled by that, but I suspect this problem is related to the rear washer failing and dumping a lot of fluid into the hatch
a couple years ago. Who knows though.

I don't think the dealer is the issue, they're just parroting whatever VW is telling them. It just took some time getting decent enough pictures to get someone to come out to see the car.

I didn't get to actually speak to this VW rep, so I'm just going by what the dealer says the rep told them. I just have the side rails like every other wagon I've ever seen, but that's that. Rails, no repair to the roof. Colour me suprised. Not.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Tsagoth said:
Yes, that's what they say, but the reality is somewhat different...
If you'd like, I can give you my guy in MA, Northampton MA to be exact. He's a really good guy. His rep just okay'd the job by the book. PM me for the info -email etc...

Last edited:

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Since VW Canada is separate from VW USA, I don't think a rep in the States (in addition to being hard to get to) can really do anything for someone in Canada.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
They didn't even cover my rear hatch! I had to pay for the repair myself!

Too late now - this was last winter - put a used hatch from a GTI on it - for a while, I had Turbo written really big on it....

KID A TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm confused by the rust warranty now. Is everyone eligible, no matter what, for 12 years?

I've got some wicked rust starting on my driver's side door and above the windshield :(

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Yup, 12 years unlimited mileage. It has to start from the inside out according to the warranty, so surface rust is not covered, but sometimes they cover it anyway....like on the front fenders.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

KID A TDI said:
I'm confused by the rust warranty now. Is everyone eligible, no matter what, for 12 years?

I've got some wicked rust starting on my driver's side door and above the windshield :(

KID A TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Sweeps said:
Yup, 12 years unlimited mileage. It has to start from the inside out according to the warranty, so surface rust is not covered, but sometimes they cover it anyway....like on the front fenders.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.
Well this is very interesting. How did I not know this? lol. I've got some rust that is definitely not surface. I'm going to take VW up on this.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
they won't cover rust on the top of the windsheilds - that's due to stone chips. As for your door, where is the rust?

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
How about the hood on the windshield side? This isn't from stone chips (that would be the other end)... My hood's pretty much rusted right through in a small spot right in front of the driver.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
unL33T said:
Could be I suppose...

Straight up! That's rust, rusting from the inside out. This is exactly how my rear truck lid looked on my Golf. The rep didn't even question it.

I could ask Bob at the Northampton MA VW if he could give a name of a rep in your area for you to directly call. As well, if you're being brushed off.... never under estimate calling your insurance company giving full details on how VW won't honor the warranty program covering your car. You insurance company can easily go after the claim trail blazing down a rep at VW too ... I've seen this done.

Just some thoughts.

More professional people you have involved usually something positive happens.

BrianCT

KID A TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
I might go to Orillia VW to get this done when I have my car back. The guys at Barrie Autohaus told me I would be wasting my time and it took all my power not to call them complete idiots.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Yeah I have to find a friendly dealer to go to as well. I need the hood and both front fenders fixed up. I'm pretty sure Guelph VW will give me a hard time about it since they wouldn't do the window regulator repair for me because I was over the mileage limit that, according to what I've here on TDIClub, most other dealers ignore. They wouldn't even give me the kit for free so I could do it myself.

The hood I might not be able to get done though because even though that rust I posted pics of is not from a chip, there are chips on the front (but they're not rusting nearly that bad).

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
There is nothing listed in the previous owner's repair records and he made no mention of ever having hood work done. Only body work I know it's had is all in the rear.

TDIDarryl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
unL33T, any luck with getting the hood taken care of? If so, which dealers are taking this kind of work?

I'm having the same problem with rust on the hood where the driver's side wiper comes close to contacting the hood when the wiper is up.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
TDIDarryl said:
unL33T, any luck with getting the hood taken care of? If so, which dealers are taking this kind of work?

I'm having the same problem with rust on the hood where the driver's side wiper comes close to contacting the hood when the wiper is up.
I know it's been a long while but since I have such a long commute to work I haven't had time to take the car in to have it looked at. Right now I'm waiting for my bike to get back from the shop so I have a second vehicle to use while any work is being done. I'll report back once I have a dealer look at it.

I also noticed the other day that the interior of the hood appears to be rusting in more places as well. I can see inside near the latch at the front and it's all rusty inside :(

Brian_Spilsbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA, 2004 JETTA
unL33T said:
I know it's been a long while but since I have such a long commute to work I haven't had time to take the car in to have it looked at. Right now I'm waiting for my bike to get back from the shop so I have a second vehicle to use while any work is being done. I'll report back once I have a dealer look at it.

I also noticed the other day that the interior of the hood appears to be rusting in more places as well. I can see inside near the latch at the front and it's all rusty inside :(
I know the rust warrantee helped me decide on VW BUT I still don't believe it covers your A$$ the way it should.
I have rust around the rear plate that ISN'T covered and a spot or two showing up around chips.
I took it to get it KROWNed and I'm happy with the way it's holding up inside the panels.
A note of caution however...Krown product is hard on rubber seals if left to sit for a while so clean it off.

Boily

TDI
02 jetta
rust

read an article on " biggest automotive warranty scams".........rusty fenders and VW not standing behind warranty where some of the the issues talked about.......the long and the short............. go to the dealer.....and let them have a chance......if no action to fix......ask for reasons in writing talk to area rep if they will talk to you............and if no satisfaction...get the rust fixed ....pay it out of your own pocket.........then get all related expenses together...go to small claims court, file action against .all........VW, dealer and who ever else area rep............ and pay the fee..besure to include this in cost....... and in my case it was only a few day and Vw was wanting to talk...........so good luck .

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Boily said:
.......................................................... ....................................................
Quoted without the text - that sure is a lot of periods.:rolleyes:

Yes, paying for the repair and going to small claims is certainly an option.

The key is documentation. Document every conversation, every repair order, everyone you talked to. Give the dealer a chance to do the right thing, and then take them to court.

Surface rust at the top of the windshield would not be something I would pursue, as they are always caused by stonechips above the windshield (due to a lack of weatherstrip bridging the gap between the windshield and the roof - I guess they won't cover rust due to crappy design).

Front fender rust and hood/hatch rust is something I would definitely go after, as it falls within the "inside out" unwritten rule

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I already had both my front fendors taken care of under warranty and currently just waiting word back from VW on my hatch rust... after that, the car is minty fresh again :p

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
hey, my cousin's hatch is rusting too. do you think they'll cover it. it's at the bottom middle where the hatch meets the bumper. It appears to be coming from the inside, because the rust seems to be "running" over the bumper from rain. So i think rain's been getting inside the hatch door and runs out the bottom.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
he'll have to take it to a dealer for them to inspect.

Which dealer is the best for this down there?