is anyone using turbo blankets in here?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Anyone tried using turbo blankets to keep temps down under the hood? I have been wrapping IC pipes, down pipes now it comes the turbo, mine is a top mount so it radiates heat all on top engine components so pls give me your take is it worth the $ to invest????

Maybe not a lot members use it here cause most turbos are bottom mount??

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I have my turbo intake pipe wrapped (from air box to turbo) all of my intake pipes, and my downpipe back to about the middle of the car.

I noticed a significant drop in intake temps when I did all of this. Haven't used a turbo blanket, though I do have my manifold wrapped pretty well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
While turbo blankets help to block heat from being radiated to under hood components, it does so at the the cost of insulating the hot side of the turbo, trapping that heat in it. This can lead to coking of oil used to cool the turbo, especially after shut down, and early turbo failure. IF you use a blanket, make sure to spend some decent money on one that is quality. The cheap ones burn up and fall apart. I chose to fabricate a heat shield out of some thin gauge steel. You could use stainless or inconel. All you're really looking at doing is blocking the infrared radiation that the turbo produces so as to shield the rest of the area around it from the heat.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
What he said ...
Turbo blanket would make sense for a water cooled turbo

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i use one on my vanagon and it works great for keeping the engine bay temps down... turbo coking is really hard to achieve with modern synthetics so that should not be a concern

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I used a header wrap material from Amazon to insulate then covered it with foil tape to "reflect" any radiant heat. It took forever to get it looking pretty and not crinkled but overall lowered my intake temp quite a bit

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thank you! Hope you don't mind but I am going to have to copy that. I love the idea and that it produces actual results in temp decrease. I hear you on making it look pretty. I thought how hard could it be, when doing a header on my on Ninja. That fiberglass tape is stiff!

PGM-any particular foil tape, or just generic A/C foil tape?

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I have a blanket on my remote mounted turbo, air cooled. Help a lot, decreased lag, no side effects for me.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I used a header wrap material from Amazon to insulate then covered it with foil tape to "reflect" any radiant heat. It took forever to get it looking pretty and not crinkled but overall lowered my intake temp quite a bit

pics?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Something that may be worth doing with this is a turbo timer or even a viper remote start system. After a hard drive parking it hot may over time kill the turbo quicker than it should. A turbo timer basically would idle the car for a couple minutes after you shut it off than turn the engine off. Allowing the idle rpm to drop turbo temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Here is a close up of it. I have a Kerma silicone "old man intake". It looked a lot better when I first did it. I think the heat has made the foil shrink giving it a crinkled look and explains a few split places I noticed. You can see the heat wrap that's under it if you look closely. I bet it's probably worse where it's next to the exhaust manifold.

I might get a better quality foil tape and go over it again making it look better and hopefully it won't turn out like a hot potato like this did.

Last edited:

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thanks PGM! I was thinking it was the fiberglass wrap (like for headers), with the tape over it. Good to know it makes a measurable difference in temps, even without sour cream and chives, lol

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Here is a close up of it. I have a Kerma silicone "old man intake". It looked a lot better when I first did it. I think the heat has made the foil shrink giving it a crinkled look and explains a few split places I noticed. You can see the heat wrap that's under it if you look closely. I bet it's probably worse where it's next to the exhaust manifold.

I might get a better quality foil tape and go over it again making it look better and hopefully it won't turn out like a hot potato like this did.

Is that HVAC foil tape? Does the adhesive in that tape handle the temps that get past the shield?

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
It's actually 3M aluminum tape I got from a local autostore. I was unsure of the brand but went back today to see which one I bought.

Their website list it having a maximum temp rating of 300°F and you can tell it's "shrunk"

I may get some of the 3M high temp aluminum foil tape and go over my existing work. It list a maximum temp of 600°F. That is unless I find a higher temp tape.

I'd like to run the car on a long hard trip then check the manifold temp with an infrared thermometer and see what kind of temps it can get up to. I have an EGT gauge but that's only good for the actual exhaust air, not the turbo/manifold itself

I've had this on there for nearly a year and this is the first time I've paid close attention to it. I'm sure if I went over it again I could get it looking much better and not like a baked potato

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I've had my exhaust temp upwards of 1500°F for a few seconds. Though that is exhaust gas temp that is flowing out. That's not manifold temp or radiant temp from the manifold. I don't have any data for the actual temperature of the manifold and area around it. If you have numbers please post them.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've had my exhaust temp upwards of 1500°F for a few seconds. Though that is exhaust gas temp that is flowing out. That's not manifold temp or radiant temp from the manifold. I don't have any data for the actual temperature of the manifold and area around it. If you have numbers please post them.
While it doesn't apply to your 2005, a new commonrail can make the exhaust manifold glow during DPF regeneration while cruising down the interstate. That would be well in excess of 900F, which is the point when steel starts to glow red. EGTs during this driving condition will be 1300F sustained for approximately 10 minutes.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Did anyone do a few runs without wrap and then a few identaical runs with the turbo, intake and exhaust piping wrapped while recording IATs?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
a lot of people are using turbo blankets on the gasser world, I have always been curious why most members here do not? why would we use it only on water cooled turbo though? the purpose of using one should be to keep temp down under the hood at all times?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
My understanding is that a water cooled turbo is less susceptible to coking the oil when the blanket holds the heat in.
I really feel that if that would be the case for water cooled turbos only, whoever sells those blankets should give a warning about cooking the turbo if we use them, in the gasser world I saw a couple of them with blankets and there were not water cooled.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks for the link to the UTexas article, interesting reading. Application inquiry sent to PTP Turbo Solutions, LLC., widely known as PTP Turbo Blankets.

I will share their response, John

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I would never wrap a turbo on a TDI unless it was always able to keep away from high EGT's A heat shield is best. On stock TDI's it can be helpfull to do it though as it will keep the heat in the turbo more and alow more fuel to burn in the turbo making slightly more power but i dont think it would be worth the investment.

Unless you have Stainless pipes, never wrap them up with that fiber exhaust wrap unless you have MULTIPLE coatings that seal up the pipe under the wrape. made that mistake, now my downpipe is nothing but swiss cheese rust.