2002 Jetta 01M Automatic Transmission Fix

ICTDI

TDI
JETTA - 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2.0T DSG
Hi all, I just want to relay my 01M Transmission experience and story for your review and consideration.

In 2007, I purchased my 2002 Jetta used. On hot days, the transmission would slip badly. Upon acceleration, the engine RPMs would spin up and then the transmission would engage harshly.

I took it to VW and also the top-notch local trusted transmission shop, the owner whom I know personally. Both explained I need to replace the transmission. I saw the prices and pondered what to do.

I decided to do Triage... take a "no harm" peek at what I actually have going on.

I bought a clean see through sterlite container and dropped the transmission pan and let the fluid run into the container. Reviewed the inside of the pan, the magnet, and found what I would call basic micro particle wear... plus a few flakes stuck to the magnet. The fluid was hazy, darkened and not clear .

The transfluid smelled weird and was not the proper color. I had read about problems with VW fluids... and this transmission... whether accurate or not is not my call here, so, I contacted the Mobil 1 engineering folks on the telephone to see if they had a compatible formula. I actually spoke to a person who knew the chemistry, not a receptionist... They had just reformulated their Mobile 1 ATF, and even though it had not yet received a certification from VW, it exceeded their published standard. Secondly, there was not risk to combining the VW and the Mobil 1 formulas together. In essence, I would have to be sure the container label had the statement "Multi Vehicle Formula" on it. So, it just showed up at AutoZone and I bought a case and went home.

I know what you are thinking... as am I... why not take it in a do a power flush... blah blah blah, and you are correct! I am cheap.

I did a pan dump, and replaced the filter. I filled to proper level, it slipped, I added another .2 liters... and the car ran better. I drove it about 120 miles in hot weather, on the highway, then in stop and go traffic. I drove home and did another pan dump, and refill. It ran even better still.

The shifting issue went away. After another 10,000 miles, I did another pan drop fluid and filter replacement. Even better now.

So, over the past few years and 110,000+ miles, I have done 3 or 4 additional pan drop fluid replacements.

My Jetta has over 217K on it now and occasionally, I can't get it to go into reverse on the first try, and I have to shift to neutral or park then back to reverse to get it to grab, but otherwise, I have no transmission problems.

I don't want to muddy the topic, but I just was outside replacing my G68, when I thought I would post this story of my transmission history.

P.S. By the way, I tested my G68 with an ohm meter and it tested correctly. But after consistently getting the code immediately upon ignition on, I replaced it with another Output Speed Sensor, and the P0722 ODB2 code went away (I have to clear the stored codes with my OTC Genisys) and the car came out of limp mode... and runs great.

P.S.S. I got the P0722 and the P0228 codes at the same time. A rule of thumb I use is, replace the "no signal" code item before replacing the "intermittent", "hi", or "low" trouble codes items. I assume the latter types of trouble codes could be caused by the complete failure of the "no signal" part.

Area351

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
I've been running Mobile 1 synthetic for nearly a year after replacing a bad N91 solenoid in an 01M transmission and it shifts like butta.....

Bert0925

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
When I got my first tdi, I had a noticable TCC slip, so i did a pan drop with filter change, drove for 3000 miles, then did another fluid change 3000 miles later.

Just recently I did a complete flush (15k later) with a machine at the garage i work at, and a fluid change with the OEM fluid, and the TCC slip is 90% gone. You have to really pay attention to notice the slight 50 rpm raise.

Changing the fluid really makes a difference in these transmissions, if more people maintained them then maybe they would stop saying they are such bad trans.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Changing the fluid really makes a difference in these transmissions, if more people maintained them then maybe they would stop saying they are such bad trans.
x 1000. I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid as well, I bought my current TDI with 244k miles on the original 01M - Never changed. I changed the fluid 3 times within 1000 miles (filter the first and third time) and got a valve body rebuild from CoolAirVW to cure the only issue - minor surging in top gear at cruise. I also installed an external transmission cooler to replace the useless factory cooler, when I did that, I also put in a transmission temp probe to an external gauge on the dashboard. The transmission has been running flawlessly since. Average temperature during cruise is about 180-190.

The transmission has even performed flawlessly for about 5000 miles since the axle CV was spun off the transmission end and punched a hole in the back of the casing. I didn't discover the damage right away, bolted the CV back to the trans and kept driving - even on a TOWING trip to NYC! I discovered the hole when changing the fluid after the trip, it has been down since b/c I haven't yet fixed the hole. This transmission now has 290k miles on it.

The average lifespan of an automatic transmission is 150k miles. This is in ANY vehicle. I have had THREE transmissions fail at almost exactly 40k miles in a BRAND NEW and BONE STOCK front-wheel drive vehicle: a 1994 Chrysler T&C minivan. The current transmission has been in there for the last 140k miles. What was changed? An external transmission cooler was added.

Any of my vehicles that have had external coolers from the factory have lasted as long as the vehicle - Over 250k miles in 3 cases, and over 150k in 3 more.

HEAT KILLS TRANSMISSIONS. The biggest problem I see with the 01M is that it can get over 230 degrees quite rapidly in stop-and-go traffic.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
My 2002 Jetta TDI with automatic 01M now has over 150k miles without transmission issues. The slushbox still has the original transmission fluid.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Change that fluid!

This is only a "lifetime" fluid fill the same way that your "lifetime" would be by eating 4 cheeseburgers every day and never visiting a doctor who would tell you cholesterol is bad for you.

Getting some maintenance (seeing the doctor) will make that lifetime a lot longer. Consider also an extant cooler, in stop-and-go traffic, the transmission temps can quickly hit 230 degrees, which shortens the life of the fluid by as much as half.

Transmission fluid should be changed about every 40k miles. Why else would the filter be easily available at your local parts shack if they ACTUALLY had made it a "lifetime sealed" unit like the idiot dealers say?

Pistons are a "lifetime" part - they aren't easily sourced or replaced. Transmission fluid and filters aren't.

Congrats on reaching 150k on that transmission, here's to the next 150k and proving that these are decent machines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TonganDiesel

TDI
2000 Black 5 speed manual 234k miles, 2002 Black auto Jetta 309K miles
I read your post. What is the result of your Mobile 1 ATF Multi Vehicle Formula running in your 01M transmission? I am looking for the alternative ATF for my 01M.

stangfed

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Auto
148k on my clock and my 2002 golf tdi had trans issues a few weeks ago, about to spend the 1500 dollars to get a rebuilt one when I realized it was just in limp mode, was going to change just the sensors but figured for 200 bucks they would the fuild and filter too, I was scared because everyone says "never change it" It's been a few weeks now and like other in this thread she shifts smoothly, it wasn't bad before but its definitely shifts smoother :)

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Don't be afraid to change the fluid. I used to change mine about every 30,000 miles. If you search around, you'll find posts I made about changing the differential lube, which is something completely separate, and probably the most neglected thing about the 01M.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
Same issues w my Autos in my Dodge w a Cummins. Clean fluid seems to help. We had a tranny guy fix the one in my wife's Honda, he says change the fluid & the filter every 30K & the trans will last the life of the vehicle. Assuming normal driving conditions.

Dizzyis

TDI
2000 1.9 alh Jetta, 2009 2.0 Jetta
Have a 2000 jetta with the 0m1 when I got it it would hesitate and then lurch into gear from park. So started reading. started with the level, had over a liter extra and fluid looked like oil out of the block. Lurch was greatly reduced after. Started reading again and thought it was toast, torque converter I am thinking, but now gonna try a fluid and filter flush, this weekend will let you all know how it turns out. This car has 560000km on it and I've only had it 6 weeks came with another motor and I am planning a 5 speed swap, auto's are just no fun lol.

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
My auto trans. Mk4 decide to slip like crazy trans temp went to 260F. I changed the filter & fluid and the turning that torx bolt. Shifted perfect but still would run 230-240F after a long drive. Removed the water to oil cool and added an external cooler rarely goes above 180F. Hope to have a long run now with the auto tran. Car that my wife and I enjoy.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Ed, please keep us updated. I'd like to ensure that the daughter's wagon's 01m lasts long enough: it had previous work done on it -a new torque converter- but no idea on what all was done; I figure it doesn't have all that many miles on it since that work was done (car had roughly 160k miles on it when I picked it up). I've determined that it's operating exactly as a well-behaving one ought too. Temps I don't know, but will be trying to see if I can get a newer UltraGauge to take some codes/programming to spit it out.

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
Ed, please keep us updated. I'd like to ensure that the daughter's wagon's 01m lasts long enough: it had previous work done on it -a new torque converter- but no idea on what all was done; I figure it doesn't have all that many miles on it since that work was done (car had roughly 160k miles on it when I picked it up). I've determined that it's operating exactly as a well-behaving one ought too. Temps I don't know, but will be trying to see if I can get a newer UltraGauge to take some codes/programming to spit it out.
I am using a elm327 bluetooth in the obd2 port to read the trans temp., I am tempted to put a dedicated gauge in the trans cooler line. I have read a lot about the obdeleven code reader but it is about $60. mine will only clear and read codes. I did not know mine was running hot till I put the obd reader on the car there was no symptoms till one day driving in the mountains about 250 miles from home it slipped a couple of times, then took us home without an issue. Then I started monitoring the temp. and realized if was getting to 230 without effort and going up our steep drive to my house for a mile it would get up to 260f.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
I read your post. What is the result of your Mobile 1 ATF Multi Vehicle Formula running in your 01M transmission? I am looking for the alternative ATF for my 01M.
I cannot "officially" suggest anything other than the overpriced and probably not full synthetic VW fluid.

However, on the advice of the builder of my performance transmission (which really just means that it has better friction material and more of it) I have been using the Mobil 1 fully synthetic Dexron/Mercon fluid and have been very satisfied with the performance.

I run the transmission with an external cooler and during moderate temperature days in full sun on the highway, 150-160 degrees is what my ScanGauge reports for the transmission temp. I don't know exactly where the sensor is that reports to the computer, but this closely follows with what the external gauge (on the flow to the cooler) tells me.

I also run the transmission with "slightly more" fluid than might be suggested by the dipstick / straw in the drain plug, as I have come to understand that transmissions can run better and cooler with a bit more fluid in them.

ICTDI

TDI
JETTA - 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2.0T DSG
Automatic Transmission Keeps Going

I am the original poster, providing an update.
I am still running Mobil 1 at 260,000 miles. I just drained and replaced 2 quarts of Transmission fluid last week to freshen it up a bit after doing nothing (neglecting) for many years because of fine performance.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I am the original poster, providing an update.
I am still running Mobil 1 at 260,000 miles. I just drained and replaced 2 quarts of Transmission fluid last week to freshen it up a bit after doing nothing (neglecting) for many years because of fine performance.
You're a little past the point where my 01M died, about 6 years ago. Mine had 236,000 miles at that point.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My 01m had 332k on it, that's how I bought the car. Swapped to a manual due to torque converter lockup mechanical faults. In hindsight, was probably a valve body, but I've learned a lot since then.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I'd think running the external cooler plus getting a good tranny oil and getting a few oil changes along the way to get most of the bad oil out of the transmission makes all the sense,,, a combination of bad oil and lack of cooling on the oil most likely make the tranny to slip.

I'm curious for those that have added an external cooler, what kind of cooler were you able to install and I imagine you guys put it in front of the car like fmic