Oscillation of the timing on my 1.9 TDi AHF

ac.cobra

TDI
Audi A3 TDI 110 AHF 99´
Timing oscillation on my 1.9 TDi AHF

Hi, I'm new to this forum user. I write from Spain.

I know this forum you have much knowledge about the TDI and I would like to consult you on the swing timing on my car with 220,000 kmts.

When I connect the PC vag com to see the timing is not fixed to one number, the value ranges between 46 and 52. The car runs perfectly and always turn quickly.

You know if this oscillation is normal or should I worry? The next change the timing belt is the 260,000 kmts. You think it should forward the change?

Crankshaft Gear is that it wears on these engines and produces oscillation in the timing and when you change the timing belt going to put a new one.

You think that the swing 46 to 52 need to change it now?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Greetings.

Last edited:

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think that grouping is fine.

Mine has a much wider swing, that is generally indicative of a failing IP. It's had the swing for 60k now and the IP still seems to be working fine :)

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
puter x2.
Mine has similar "swing" (variance in the data points).
I have read that comes from a worn injection pump. I have owned the car since new, and when it was new, the grouping was tighter. Also similar to puter, and to ac.cobra original post, my car runs fine and has had the wider grouping for many thousands of miles / km now. My car starts easily and runs well. I gave hard thought on recent timing belt change at 280K, should I change also the injection pump ? I decided NO, since failure of IP would most likely not harm the engine, I will continue to run as-is because it has no functional problems. Future timing belt change at 380K or 370K, maybe I will put a new injection pump as gift to the beloved jetta ;)

ac.cobra

TDI
Audi A3 TDI 110 AHF 99´
Hello again.

There is more information about this topic?

In Spanish forums said that the oscillation is caused by a pinion and many TDI broken by wear of the pinion. Someone around here has happened?

Greetings.