AHU M tdi in to a Passat b5.5 4 motion?????

gizmocska

TDI
2003 Passat AFN 1.9 tdi For Sale...
As I am sure this has been aske before here we go again with a bit different twist to it...I have a 2003 Passat GLX 4 Motion mated with the 5 spd automatic tranny,the 2.8 V6 (160 kmiles) runs great for now but I am thinking ahead in case I will run in to any expensive repairs, and what is bothering me the most is the fact that this engine is very hard to work on.
I have seen an AHU swap in to a 1998 A4 which is the same thing as the b5 passat and this guy did it in his suburban garage...the transmission was a 5 spd 4 motion-quattro.Some fabrication was needed but it is possible to do it with low budget as well. I curious if anyone has a well documented link or post regarding this swap,that is being asked more often.AHU engines are cheap and with the help off an M tdi pump thing become a lot simpler .I am listening to anyone's input on this.One thing to mention here is that I do not need a factory like set up ,I am not that picky
Thanx for your input in advance

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
best way contact the guy who did the swap, he will have lot of information.
only thing I can add that if you want to retain 5-speed automatic in 4cyl diesel with quattro that would be a difficult task to accomplished due to difference in gearing , but if you want to move on to standard that will be better way to go.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, the ATQ is NOT really any harder to work on IMHO than the BHW. Normal PM is simple enough, and the only "big" job that they all need eventually is the cam phasers, and while that is certainly a big job it is not all that difficult. Time consuming, sure.

Second, the B5 uses a different 4 cyl engine (both gas and diesel) than the B5.5, so they are not the same.

If you wanted to swap a TDI engine in, you would want to use something from the EA113 family, like an ALH (AHU is from the older EA827 family).

gizmocska

TDI
2003 Passat AFN 1.9 tdi For Sale...
This Passat revs pretty good on low rpm on the hwy so i believe it will not be a huge difference , I am mostly concerned with take off and on ramp acceleration ,but a few upgrades could well take care off that ,I am already looking to get 502 injectors , fmic ,vnt 17-22 ,12 mm mtdi pump ,this should give me enough power to move the car just as the v6 did.I will be using a rebuilt ALH engine hoping to make things a bit easier.If anyone has info on good prices on these tdi upgrades please reply.

Cheers