LUK 17-050 clutch

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
Hello,

I just wanted to post a heads up to anyone interested in this clutch kit. I just got one from Amazon for 255.68. That is a pretty good deal from what I can find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CI8XTK/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

My original clutch and DMF are acting up so I will be replacing within the next month or so. I just need to get the misc. hardware and fluid and spend the weekend doing it all.

Hope this helps someone out.

Evil-Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 TDI PD-R
That kit is to be used with the DMFW. Now if you had an issue with the fw, why would you put in the same known problematic dmfw in there when you can vr6 your clutch kit and put a g60 smfw and have complete reliability?

Last edited:

deadend9009

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Its the dual mass flywheel that breaks appart, not the clutch itself. This kit is inexpensive because it doesn't include it!

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
That kit is to be used with the DMFW. Now if you had an issue with the fw, why would you put in the same known problematic dmfw in there when you can vr6 your clutch kit and put a g60 smfw and have complete reliability?
My car is completely stock and the factory clutch has served me well for 175,000 miles and from what I have read on here the Luk is a better setup then what I have. Correct me if I am wrong on that because I can return it if need be.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Its the dual mass flywheel that breaks appart, not the clutch itself. This kit is inexpensive because it doesn't include it!
deadend9009,

What do you mean by "This kit is inexpensive because it doesn't include it!"

Whats not included?

Thanks

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
The flywheels goes bad and is not included with the kit. Sorry i was not clear!
Hmm. I put a 17-050 kit in my Golf two years ago and it included the flywheel. If this is a genuine kit it should include the flywheel. All the parts were shrink-wrapped together and in a LUK box. Note that the photo shown say "representative photo" meaning it isn't of the exact kit they're selling.

That's a heck of a price. My was $550 back in 2010.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Shipping weight is specified in that listing as 20lbs. Uh, the flywheel weighs that much by itself..... so exactly how do you get a clutch, pressure plate and associated hardware in there with the flywheel and have the shipping weight be 20lbs?

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
There is most defiantly a flywheel included. Everything is bolted together already. It alsoo has throwout bearing and clutch aligning tool and new flywheel bolts. It is in a Luk box that says " RepSet" on the box along with the part number I listed in the title. I can take pictures later and post them.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hmm. I put a 17-050 kit in my Golf two years ago and it included the flywheel. If this is a genuine kit it should include the flywheel. All the parts were shrink-wrapped together and in a LUK box. Note that the photo shown say "representative photo" meaning it isn't of the exact kit they're selling.

That's a heck of a price. My was $550 back in 2010.

He's right on the 17-050 kit including everything. Unless they decided to not include the flywheel.

And as far as the G60/VR6 debate....Stock, quiet, smooth, and this is a stronger clutch than the 01+ cars got. They had a sachs unit. VR6 clutches tend to last 100-150K tops. Most DMF set ups run just fine for several hundred K if they are the early ones like this.

I do 5-6 of these a month. I source them locally. If you are going with some bigger mods I'd definetly go to a South Bend.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Picture doesn't show a flywheel, but perhaps I shouldn't go by that. It also shows some random other parts. The flywheel for this kit is unique, you can't use the OE LUK flywheel for a '99.5. If the kit doesn't include the flywheel it may be a problem to get one as AFAIK they are not sold separately.

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Just gonna chime in on behalf of Amazon here; they have AMAZING customer service.

If you don't mind waiting an extra week or so if something goes wrong, feel safe in ordering the kit and being able to return it (shipping covered) if it is "mis-advertised" and does not include the flywheel.

EDIT: Just found this kit even cheaper from Parts Geek and it specifies that the flywheel IS included. $228 with free shipping!

Last edited:

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
saucer,

I have always had great luck with Amazon and there customer service also. I am a Prime member so most things I get are free shipping and usually less than two days. I ordered this clutch and flywheel kit on Tuesday evening and was on my front porch when I got home from work on Wednesday.

Like I said earlier it has the flywheel, throwout bearing, spline lube, new flywheel bolts and clutch aligning tool.

Just gonna chime in on behalf of Amazon here; they have AMAZING customer service.

If you don't mind waiting an extra week or so if something goes wrong, feel safe in ordering the kit and being able to return it (shipping covered) if it is "mis-advertised" and does not include the flywheel.

EDIT: Just found this kit even cheaper from Parts Geek and it specifies that the flywheel IS included. $228 with free shipping!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
yep. That's the beaat. GREAT deal!

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
So everyone is agreed this is a great price , but can someone please elaborate on whether this is a SMF or DMF that is included in this kit??

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I cant answer that question but got my clutch changed over the weekend. I can say that I am quite pleased with the results. Car seems much quieter and runs smoother. No more rattling and vibrating and the clutch pedal feels much lighter. I would completely recommend this clutch to anyone if you are within the specs of this clutch.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
That is a super price. My clutch and DMF at 240k km are still holding nicely, just a small slip with my tune but only when ripping it.

Did you hire the install or you did it yourself?

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed myself. It is a pretty big job but I did have access to a lift an transmission jack which made life alot easier.

MCathcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
But... LUKE Customer Service and Warranty is Crap. If the person/company you bought it from is Not an Approved LUKE Seller, there is no Guarantee. (A lot of Amazon are Re-Sellers.)

After seeing so many DMF's fail. If that clutch was Free, I can't tell you I'd put it in my car. The new solid FW/Clutches have come a long way. The last one I installed you couldn't tell any difference.

For a New DMF, $324 is a Deal but...

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Ordered mine on 10/15/12 from partsgeek. After ordering I read their HORRIBLE reviews. Whoops should have read reviews first. Got my tracking info today 10/17/12 and it'll be delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed they sent the right kit......
UPS shows the package as 34 lbs so that is a good sign.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Welp, it showed up and looks correct and in good shape. They shipped it WITHOUT any packaging at all. Just the LUK box.

I guess I got lucky!