www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old June 9th, 2019, 15:25   #16
AJM

TDI(s): A6

Good luck in you hunt for one. It took me 3 months to find mine. IMHO the best way to buy an A6 TDI is at Manheim Auction, specifically the New York one as they run them trough at least once a week. If you don’t have a friend that has access then look for a local broker who specializes in buying at the auctions. They usually charge a lot less than the dealers. Also, if you have a vin you can register at Audi.com as the new owner and they will show the service history of the car if it was serviced at an Audi dealership, much better than a carfax.

Cheers
AJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 15:25   #17
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM View Post
Good luck in you hunt for one. It took me 3 months to find mine. IMHO the best way to buy an A6 TDI is at Manheim Auction, specifically the New York one as they run them trough at least once a week. If you donít have a friend that has access then look for a local broker who specializes in buying at the auctions. They usually charge a lot less than the dealers. Also, if you have a vin you can register at Audi.com as the new owner and they will show the service history of the car if it was serviced at an Audi dealership, much better than a carfax.

Cheers
^^^^This is how I got mine. The 2016's are rare and S-Line is even rarer. Took us 3 months to get the Prestige (non s-line) in silver that I wanted. Definitely worth getting the '16 over an older model. We got the car $3k under blue book by doing the auction.

Maybe visit a used luxury dealership in your area and talk with a sales rep. If they have an account with Manheim they can setup a recurring search that will find the car with the specific features you want. Each car gets a rating based on overall wear and tare. It does a good job informing you of issues. There is even a return policy. A 2016 should have had all of its work done at an Audi dealership which the carfax will show you. Tricky part is when it comes time to bid and communicating with them on pulling the trigger.

Some things to note with what you are looking for.
-Are the Rims standard on the S-Line? I know they are 20s. If not do not pass up a car because of the rims. You might be waiting for a while on another one. I did not want the rims I have. They are a PITA to clean but I'm waiting for winter to put snow tires on them and get a second wheel for summer.

-Prestige line is a must (S-Line just adds more like black optics and bigger rims) but prestige gets you Bose, digital dials, upgraded headlights, cold/warm package. I realized I didn't need S-Line as it was very limited finding a prestige model alone.
[IMG][/IMG]

Good luck!
If you don't mind losing your warranty, get it tuned. With emissions equipment intact I was at 330 hp and 565 trq while keeping temps safe for the turbo.
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 08:45   #18
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A6, Q5, Golf
Fuel Economy: 32+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies2710 View Post
^^^^This is how I got mine. The 2016's are rare and S-Line is even rarer. Took us 3 months to get the Prestige (non s-line) in silver that I wanted. Definitely worth getting the '16 over an older model. We got the car $3k under blue book by doing the auction.
Maybe visit a used luxury dealership in your area and talk with a sales rep. If they have an account with Manheim they can setup a recurring search that will find the car with the specific features you want. Each car gets a rating based on overall wear and tare. It does a good job informing you of issues. There is even a return policy. A 2016 should have had all of its work done at an Audi dealership which the carfax will show you. Tricky part is when it comes time to bid and communicating with them on pulling the trigger.
Some things to note with what you are looking for.
-Are the Rims standard on the S-Line? I know they are 20s. If not do not pass up a car because of the rims. You might be waiting for a while on another one. I did not want the rims I have. They are a PITA to clean but I'm waiting for winter to put snow tires on them and get a second wheel for summer.
-Prestige line is a must (S-Line just adds more like black optics and bigger rims) but prestige gets you Bose, digital dials, upgraded headlights, cold/warm package. I realized I didn't need S-Line as it was very limited finding a prestige model alone.
[IMG][/IMG]
Good luck!
If you don't mind losing your warranty, get it tuned. With emissions equipment intact I was at 330 hp and 565 trq while keeping temps safe for the turbo.
Everything you said here makes complete sense. The 1 16' A6 TDI I looked at up in Boulder told me they can order from auctions for me for a $1,000 fee so not bad there at all. I'm going to not be so picky about the rims and just find the car with equipment that I am looking for, so thank you for that.

In terms of your tune...did you end up going with Kerma or Malone? We have Kerma on our 14' Golf TDI and it rocks.
Midwesthick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 11:17   #19
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesthick View Post
Everything you said here makes complete sense. The 1 16' A6 TDI I looked at up in Boulder told me they can order from auctions for me for a $1,000 fee so not bad there at all. I'm going to not be so picky about the rims and just find the car with equipment that I am looking for, so thank you for that.
In terms of your tune...did you end up going with Kerma or Malone? We have Kerma on our 14' Golf TDI and it rocks.
You can stay updated on my car here. I started a log for personal use to keep track over time but also to get help or suggestions on things as I add to the car.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497540

Long story short. I had planned on Malone but my friend with the dealership has a performance shop he works with called APM Tuned just outside of Chicago. They build in house custom tunes with dyno. I started Stage 1 ECU and custom TCU tune without deleting anything. Car became fun! Waited and talked myself into going Stage 2 ECU with a delete. Paired with the TCU tune the car is now a beast while having very smooth shifts. It is always in the power band when in Dynamic Sport mode. All the while just did a long distance trip with a little city driving. Mostly on cruise control was able to get just over 700 miles on one tank.
Old June 12th, 2019, 05:58   #20
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

Something I’ve been trying to figure out here. Why do some prestige s-line models have the fog lights and others do not? Is that part of a particular package or add-on?
Old June 12th, 2019, 06:37   #21
delmd92

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) radar modules fit in the fog light spot. Can't say for certain, but I think it is one or the other and there was no option for both.
delmd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 09:04   #22
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmd92 View Post
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) radar modules fit in the fog light spot. Can't say for certain, but I think it is one or the other and there was no option for both.
Good to know. It sounds like that particular lineup would have ACC only with HUD I assume. Thanks for the heads up there.
Old June 12th, 2019, 10:43   #23
Radman
Veteran Member

No foglites in bumper on any models. There are additional fog style side lites in the headlamps.

Regarding mileage, it is a Diesel so most are going to be higher mileage as people typically buy them for longer commutes. If you find one that is clean jump on it! The TDI is a rare beast and even more difficult to find a 2016.

Last edited by Radman; June 12th, 2019 at 10:46.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 10:14   #24
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used...ting=243449408

Look at this bad boy! 16' A6 TDI, Prestige, S-Line with 17K miles for $33k...damn - Going to look at it/test it at 6 pm tonight.

Last edited by Midwesthick; June 13th, 2019 at 10:58.
Old June 13th, 2019, 13:45   #25
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used...ting=243449408

Look at this bad boy! 16' A6 TDI, Prestige, S-Line with 17K miles for $33k...damn - Going to look at it/test it at 6 pm tonight.
Keep us posted. Blue book is $39k for that car. Wasn't actually driven until 2018. Thus it sat around waiting for the fix for 3 years. Now its at its 3rd dealership Audi to Volvo to BMW. Last reported odometer is at 10k miles. Owner is selling it after only one year of ownership?

Be careful when it seems to good to be true.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 13th, 2019, 15:15   #26
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

I have not seen the carfax yet so thank you for posting this up. I am definitely cautious and curious about why this is sitting so low at the moment. I get having an Audi on a Volvo/BMW lot that isn't needed so maybe that's the reason?

It might have some Audi warranty left along with the diesel fix so hoping it isn't too scary.
Old June 13th, 2019, 15:50   #27
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

I just called Audi Littleton where it came from and it has a full warranty because delivery wasnt until May of last year. Too good to be true.....I will find out.
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:50   #28
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Go get it. If I were you, nothing to worry about! Bumper to bumper warranty and the 10years/120k miles emission warranty. Just pay attention to the little cosmetic things.

Last edited by MBQ; June 14th, 2019 at 07:53.
MBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 08:18   #29
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
Go get it. If I were you, nothing to worry about! Bumper to bumper warranty and the 10years/120k miles emission warranty. Just pay attention to the little cosmetic things.
Exactly what I did. They have to small dents on the passenger side of the vehicle that they will be fixing and the cigarette lighters in the back were not operating properly. There was definitely a family with kids using that car.

The diesel particulate filter light came on as I was driving the car and I had to teach the BMW guy how clean that out while on the road, lol.

They offered me $22K for my 15' Audi S3(22K miles only) so I wont be trading that in to them. Going to put that on the Audizine forums and more for a private sale.
Old June 17th, 2019, 20:05   #30
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Exactly what I did. They have to small dents on the passenger side of the vehicle that they will be fixing and the cigarette lighters in the back were not operating properly. There was definitely a family with kids using that car.
The diesel particulate filter light came on as I was driving the car and I had to teach the BMW guy how clean that out while on the road, lol.
They offered me $22K for my 15' Audi S3(22K miles only) so I wont be trading that in to them. Going to put that on the Audizine forums and more for a private sale.
What's the word.....Did you complete the purchase? Did the DPF light go away after running it through a regen?

BMW should know what that light is seeing as the 535d is a direct competitor to the A6 TDI.