2011 JSW TPMS uses ABS Sensors

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M

Happy days (in theory anyway) as it appears that my 7/2010 build 2011 JSW Wagon came with the TPMS described above. I can deduct a couple of bills off my next Tire Rack order and hopefully this system solves some of the headaches experienced in earlier cars using the wheel/tire mounted system.

(Note on the right, that the OM is big on repeating the same thing over and over, even in close proximity. :rolleyes:)

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
It is good news for those that don't want to worry about extra sensors for additional sets of wheels, and means that you needn't be concerned about the sensors being damaged when changing tires, but I prefer having the sensors in the wheels.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Same here.

The fact that it has a "defeat" button just means that if someone gets a low tire, they can reset the system then forget that they had a low tire leading to a dangerous situation.

No thanks.

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Same here.

The fact that it has a "defeat" button just means that if someone gets a low tire, they can reset the system then forget that they had a low tire leading to a dangerous situation.

No thanks.

I'd bet that that's not how it works since I've owned other cars with similar systems and the reset button just clears the light (hopefully after you've corrected the problem). If you haven't corrected the problem the light will come right back.

The anti-lock brake versions of TPMS that I've driven with to date have been trouble free and therefore less expensive to live with.

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
I'll add that I think that it's a pretty nice feature to be able to change the pressure that the system alerts below. I like to vary my tire pressures dependent upon the tires, driving and seasons (just slightly) and I'll probably use this new tool to my advantage.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I'm having to do the TPMS sensor dance now and can unequivocally say I'd rather have the indirect system. I check my own tire pressure at least once a month religiously so it's redundant to use it as a maintenance system. The only time it should go off for me is if one of my tires fails. Either system works just as well in that scenario. The one situation the indirect system wouldn't work compared to the direct is if two wheels fail on the same axle. Possible, but I'm guessing unlikely. I'd rather save the $200 and/or $40 extra installation fee, plus avoid the possibility of the tire shop damaging them swapping sensors. That happened on our Touareg--$200 for a single sensor (first year)--ouch!

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
I'd bet that that's not how it works since I've owned other cars with similar systems and the reset button just clears the light (hopefully after you've corrected the problem). If you haven't corrected the problem the light will come right back.

The anti-lock brake versions of TPMS that I've driven with to date have been trouble free and therefore less expensive to live with.

I concur, I have the older TPMS but I know for a fact the newer version works a milliopn times better, w/ less maintence, my last 2 BMWs had the ABS version and never gave me trouble.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Happy days (in theory anyway) as it appears that my 7/2010 build 2011 JSW Wagon came with the TPMS described above. I can deduct a couple of bills off my next Tire Rack order and hopefully this system solves some of the headaches experienced in earlier cars using the wheel/tire mounted system.

(Note on the right, that the OM is big on repeating the same thing over and over, even in close proximity. :rolleyes:)

Look at the valve stems on your wheels. If there is a metal NUT at the base of the valve stem, I think you still have a transmitter inside the wheel.

It would be nice if they went back to the ABS type of monitoring system, IMO.:)

Bill

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Bill,

That's what this thread is all about.

They ARE going back to the indirect monitored system via the ABS wheel systems. As of the 2011 model year.