What did you do to your MK7 today?

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Cross post from the other forum... if I can get this thread to open in Tapatalk I'll add pictures, sometimes it opens, others times it doesn't...

Replaced engine and transmission mounts with 034 mounts, all new hardware. Got the wife to tighten bolts while I kept the engine/transmission in place. Found that out of the factory my transmission mount was slightly misaligned. That might explain why a dogbone insert gave me unbearable vibration... who knows? Anyway, engine mount is a little more annoying on a diesel, extra stuff in the way.

I also see why no one shows the TDI in their fitment guides. New engine mount is missing a mounting point for an existing bracket, but the bracket has 2 other mount points so is in no danger of moving around. The Superpro engine mount (which is no longer available) does show that mounting point but I don't think the TDI was on their fitment list either.

Blah blah blah... my stock mounts, once removed, could be flexed by hand which I assume isn't good. Went for a drive and it feels better going through the gears. I don't launch the car but getting a smooth start with low-medium throttle was easier.

MOST importantly to me, no noticeable difference in noise or vibration, even with the A/C on. Very happy that 034's claims held up in that regard. Their dogbone inserts will get installed in conjunction with the aluminum subframe, hopefully 2 weekends from now.
How can you tell if the transmission mount or subframe are slightly misaligned? I installed a power flex Diesel dog bone insert and my NVH is pretty bad now. I want to make sure everything is aligned correctly before I remove the insert due to nvh.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
How can you tell if the transmission mount or subframe are slightly misaligned? I installed a power flex Diesel dog bone insert and my NVH is pretty bad now. I want to make sure everything is aligned correctly before I remove the insert due to nvh.
I'm not sure how you would be able to tell if the subframe is mis-aligned outside of a good alignment shop not being able to get your measurements equal on both sides.

But the engine mount and transmission mount have alignment circles that should be centered in their view windows before tightening. Good conversation between myself and few others (WhyNotZoidberg in particular) in this thread on GolfMk7... following my install of the Powerflex Diesel Insert, I also thought the vibration was unacceptable, did not break in after several hundred miles.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dog-bone-on-a-diesel.367536/

Also linked in that thread is this other thread about ensuring replacement mounts are aligned. Most of the DIY's in forums and Youtube neglect to mention the importance of proper mount alignment, if they mention it at all. This thread is somewhat long but has good info and a helpful video...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/bfi-stage-1-engine-tranny-mounts.356688/page-3

You can check the engine mount viewing window and physical alignment without removing much (if anything) but you won't be able to see the alignment window of the transmission mount without removing the airbox/battery/battery tray. I think you can see the physical alignment of the transmission from below, but I didn't do that. I just removed the insert after some time due to crazy vibrations.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
installed a Westfalia hitch.

You have fun removing the heat shielding for exhaust? How was clearance with the DEF tank on the passengers side?

The AT has dual exhuauts and even with dropping the rear hangers its was tight to get all those clips out.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
You have fun removing the heat shielding for exhaust? How was clearance with the DEF tank on the passengers side?

The AT has dual exhuauts and even with dropping the rear hangers its was tight to get all those clips out.
On the GSW I didn't need to drop anything :D

Also, the trailer wiring for the AT is compatible with GSW TDI, even though its not listed

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Finally added my window spoilers. Didnt work with the original tape so I ended up using the 3M clear tape.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Thanks, me too. We were lucky to find a Tornado Red '15 locally to replace the totaled '01, which was the same color. The Mrs. loves it...

Damn - I like that Silk Blue!
(And the red looks pretty nice as well.)

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
GTD badge was put on. Does anyone else know where to get the trunk logo and grille badge? Only place I can find them is in Europe.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Finally added my window spoilers. Didnt work with the original tape so I ended up using the 3M clear tape.
Are those OEM rear hatch side-spoiler, or was it one of the Chinese facsimiles?

The tape on mine (OEM) for the wagon was scary in how fast/well it stuck (and not too far from an order of magnitude more expensive than the Aliexpress Golf version; they didn't have any for the wagon when I was looking for them.)

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Are those OEM rear hatch side-spoiler, or was it one of the Chinese facsimiles?
The tape on mine (OEM) for the wagon was scary in how fast/well it stuck (and not too far from an order of magnitude more expensive than the Aliexpress Golf version; they didn't have any for the wagon when I was looking for them.)
Chinese ones. I am not too sure if they have OEM ones for the Golf as I believe the GTI has a different spoiler. Correct me if I am wrong. Was it a clear adhesive for your side-spoilers?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yes, there was a clear adhesive in two parallel strips, with protective tape, on each side fairing with the OEM ones. Once I lightly placed them, I thought I'd try to get them more perfect....good ****ing luck! They were 99% good, so I can live with them.

I had bought some $20 knock-offs from AliX, and the came with "W3" double-sided tape - which kinda looks like 3M stuff. Red protective tape and grey sticky stuff...and it was applied....let's just say "not quite up to the same standards that VW had". :)

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
I find the tape they provide isn't always the strongest. I'm waiting for these to come in.

#Aliexpress C$ 66.78 22%OFF | Glossy Black / Carbon Fiber Look 2PCS Car Front Fog Light Lamp Eyebrow Eye Lid Wind Knife Cover For VW For Golf MK7 2014-2017
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dURB6Nu

I'm guessing I'll have to upgrade the tape.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Dated 4/17 oem battery finally gave up the ghost.

Dealer quoted me $360 to replace it. I asked is that a battery or a brick of gold? With no answer, I asked for carry out price.

He said a left and a right against red wall towards the parts counter, without giving me a price.

$145, larger then what I had, it was 3 bolts, and a 10min recode.

I spilled my beer too.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Friday, actually. Sold the 17" Geneva wheels and tires and put on the set of BBS VZs while I'm waiting for the new to me BBS SRs to get refinished.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Picked up some used rims for a sweet deal. TSW Nurburgring in matte bronze. Planning on getting them mated to some 225/40/18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires here soon. I’ll keep the factory rims and tires as backup. Only one was a little curb rashed, not bad. Know a guy who can powder coat them another color if I want.

Put the wagon part to work a bit lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liberty

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI S
Bought a set of Durbans for my base S model, sanded down all the clear coat chips and curb rash and took to wheel shop for making sure they are straight before I buy tires. Got a really good deal.

Next step is either painting or plastidipping bronze color. Leaning to plastidip just to try it out.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Got the new to me rims and new tires installed today. Quite happy with how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Added these two today.

The eyebrows are made of decent quality plastic like the window spoilers I have. Attached and fit nicely.

The USB ports are meh. Took so long to install but also didn't fit quite right on the center console. I suspect it's made for the ROW LHD Golfs.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I installed the Curt 56360 trailer wiring harness in the GSW- it was direct plug and play, no wire switching needed. I just connected the power wire to a 12v cigarette plug and plugged it into the 12v outlet on right side of hatch area.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
pulled that small pain in the butt cubby drilled a hole and fished the USB cable down under the passengers foot well, finally that cover will remain closed 100% of the time.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
I installed the Curt 56360 trailer wiring harness in the GSW- it was direct plug and play, no wire switching needed. I just connected the power wire to a 12v cigarette plug and plugged it into the 12v outlet on right side of hatch area.
That's brilliant! My 56360 is on order and I was dreading the wire run up to the battery.