VCDS: is it my car, or the dongle?

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
(Sorry about the huge images...)

Is this a problem with my car, or the dongle?

When doing the port test I get this:

The auto scan sometimes works fine, and sometimes I get this:

How can any modern car *not* be ODB-II compatible? This is using VCDS's "ODB-II functions",

Toyomike

TDI
2004 Golf
I had to upgrade dongle for my 2019 Tiguan. It wouldn’t work on anything after 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toyomike

TDI
2004 Golf
I’m sorry. It’s 2019 and newer. You have to upgrade to the new dongle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
What is your computers’ specs? I’ve run into that issue when trying to run VCDS through a VM.

Nonetheless, I think you’ll receive better answers on the VCDS’ website/forum.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m sorry. It’s 2019 and newer. You have to upgrade to the new dongle.

When I tried it on my wife's Alltrack I got a very clear "nope, you need a new dongle" error message, but I've never seen anything like that on my '15. (and it does work most of the time)

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
What is your computers’ specs? I’ve run into that issue when trying to run VCDS through a VM.

Boo. I'm running a Win 7 VM in VMWare Fusion on a Mac.

It worked just fine with my old car ('04 Jetta) and in the past it has worked well within "good enough" on this car.

Nonetheless, I think you’ll receive better answers on the VCDS’ website/forum.

Yea, I looked there first, but for some reason my account isn't "verified" (anymore? yet?) so I can't post in the "VCDS problems" subforum. :(

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
That’s your issue. The USB emulation/pass-through isn’t 1:1 enough (for a lack of better words) for VCDS with the high speed CAN bus.

Out of a hundred tries on a VM, I got it to work once in a VM with my 2015. I ended up buying an old ThinkPad off Craigslist just for VCDS and VIDA/DICE (Volvo).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
When I tried it on my wife's Alltrack I got a very clear "nope, you need a new dongle" error message, but I've never seen anything like that on my '15. (and it does work most of the time)
I have the what think is the unlimited VIN "microcan" cable and used it countless times on our Alltrack (even with our 2005 XP machine).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

It worked just fine with my old car ('04 Jetta) and in the past it has worked well within "good enough" on this car.

Yea, I looked there first, but for some reason my account isn't "verified" (anymore? yet?) so I can't post in the "VCDS problems" subforum. :(

I've heard bootcamp is the way to go or windows on a Mac and VCDS, but I'm not willing to corrupt my MBP with such vial trash. If I need to find a new machine craigslist will be where it's at.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
For those playing along on the home game:

I used a laptop running Windoze natively, and everything seems to work perfectly.

This pisses me off because I really hate Winwodz, running a VM is way easier for me ... when VCDS works.

The extra annoying thing is that it *used* to work just fine in a VM on my Mac. Maybe something in V 20 of VCDS is more demanding than previous versions.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have no problem (never have) running VCDS on my various Macs.

Workhorse in the past was a 2015 MacBook Pro (currently on new MBP which introduces a USB-A-->USB-C adapter - again, no problem), but I've passed around the same VMware Fusion Win7 and Win10 VMs to my 2013 11" MacBook Air and it runs there fine as well.

Had no idea this was even an issue.
(Edit: ...possibly because I'm use HexNet VCDS hardware (?). I don't know - just conjecture.)

Last edited: