www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 16th, 2020, 13:57   #16
wyopel
Veteran Member

Not to mention the constantly wet carpet will eventually give you a moldy musty smell that is very hard to get rid off. An ozone generator was the only thing that seemed to work to get rid of that smell.
wyopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2020, 08:03   #17
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Put a few drops of uv dye in the sunroof drain area, not enough to go down the drain though. If it's clear, then look elsewhere. I'm thinking a seam or area is rusted out next to the air cabin filter area. Possible that it's a hidden issue. I'm assuming you have already cleared your cowel drains
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:07   #18
jdulle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 96 B4, 97 B4

I solved the wet carpet on the drivers side floor recently. I thought for a while it was in the firewall, and wasted a bunch of caulk in there with no results. It was definitely the lower windshield seal. I fixed mine with metal tape, which looks a little rough, but good enough for a 25 yr old car.
jdulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 12:31   #19
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulle View Post
I solved the wet carpet on the drivers side floor recently. I thought for a while it was in the firewall, and wasted a bunch of caulk in there with no results. It was definitely the lower windshield seal. I fixed mine with metal tape, which looks a little rough, but good enough for a 25 yr old car.
Clearly a bandaid over a bigger issue. Now you know where it is, can be fixed when able.
I ran for a few years with no vowel or drip edge at all. No water inside.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 12:36   #20
whmcc

Default Driver Door Seal was the problem.

Yes, a number of years ago, I went through all of this too. Replace windshield, sealed up the various places that might be it, but finally pulled the carpet and underpadding (for the Nth time) and put down newspaper before a rain.
Turned out to be the rubber door seal at the front bottom on the driver's door. Funny thing is, even after a door seal replacement, it still leaks!!
I ended up solving it by taking aluminum flashing, and folding it into a kind of envelope shape, and velcro-ing it just inside the driver's door toward the front (after having pulled all the plastic covering, down to bare metal, wires, etc.). I then use one of those golden colored super absorbent German? fabric cut pieces (synthetic chamois?) folded inside the "envelope" and drape the edge up toward the door seal, so if any water sneaks up over the edge, it gets pulled by capillary action into the metal envelope, and does not go into the carpet.
I back it up underneath the metal envelope with additional gold absorbent fabric piece or two, so with any heavy rain, or my neglecting to empty the envelope, it stays in the absorbent fabric piece rather than seeping down into the carpet.
This solution is what I have been using for about 6 or more years, and DRY CARPET ever since...no more pulling and squeezing, which was so irritating.
Hope this helps.
2013 Electric Orange Fiat 500e "Nemo" ELECTRIC BEV
whmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2020, 16:26   #21
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmcc View Post
Yes, a number of years ago, I went through all of this too. Replace windshield, sealed up the various places that might be it, but finally pulled the carpet and underpadding (for the Nth time) and put down newspaper before a rain.
Turned out to be the rubber door seal at the front bottom on the driver's door. Funny thing is, even after a door seal replacement, it still leaks!!
I ended up solving it by taking aluminum flashing, and folding it into a kind of envelope shape, and velcro-ing it just inside the driver's door toward the front (after having pulled all the plastic covering, down to bare metal, wires, etc.). I then use one of those golden colored super absorbent German? fabric cut pieces (synthetic chamois?) folded inside the "envelope" and drape the edge up toward the door seal, so if any water sneaks up over the edge, it gets pulled by capillary action into the metal envelope, and does not go into the carpet.
I back it up underneath the metal envelope with additional gold absorbent fabric piece or two, so with any heavy rain, or my neglecting to empty the envelope, it stays in the absorbent fabric piece rather than seeping down into the carpet.
This solution is what I have been using for about 6 or more years, and DRY CARPET ever since...no more pulling and squeezing, which was so irritating.
Hope this helps.
Aren't those called a ShamWOW?

Glad you found a way of keeping the interior from getting soaked. It's unfortunate that these sorts of things still go on even after repeated attempts to stop them.

I hate leaks of any kind, one reason I would not be a good candidate for a convertible and neither do I really care to have a car with sunroof, just because of these things.

Often I wonder what they're going to do when all of these pano-roof optioned cars have problems with the mechanism or assembly? It can't see people very willing to spend a lot of fixing that crap.

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote