Anyone change their timing belt yet?

PrairieRoamer

TDI
2013 passat
Just wondering if anyone has changed their timing belt in their TDI yet. If so, what kind of condition was it in? What was the mileage?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Assuming you are speaking strictly of the CKRA engine in the NMS Passat, yes, I have changed several of them at 130k miles as the schedule prescribes. They look exactly like a used timing belt. Not really sure what you are asking.

They are a lot like light bulbs, in that you really cannot tell much about the condition of one by looking at it. That is why they have a change interval in the schedule.

You could lay one that has 30k miles, 70k miles, 100k miles, and 130k miles side by side on a table and you'd be hard pressed to tell any of them apart from one another.

PrairieRoamer

TDI
2013 passat
In the Canadian manual, it doesn't specify when to change the belt, just to check it every 30,000 KM (18,500 miles) after 90,000 KM (55000 miles) on the car.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
My turbo diesel has a pretty darn good write up on replacing one yourself. Just buy the full kit, (id parts) Don't replace anything that isn't leaking like I did on my Honda- swapped in a new crank seal just to be safe while I was in there- and now its leaking :rolleyes:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My turbo diesel has a pretty darn good write up on replacing one yourself. Just buy the full kit, (id parts) Don't replace anything that isn't leaking like I did on my Honda- swapped in a new crank seal just to be safe while I was in there- and now its leaking :rolleyes:
Actually the water pump may not be leaking at the time of replacing the timing belt, however it's one of those items that really needs to be replaced during a timing belt change. ALL the parts in a complete timing belt kit need to be replaced. Lots of one time use bolts, several rollers, and a new water pump just to name some things off the top of my head.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Correct the water pump and all the one time use items get swapped out- I was intending crank and cam seals only