Help: Speedo/Odometer Problem

Rytheman

TDI
2013 Jetta stage 2 Malone Tune, 2002 Jetta
I have a 2002 Jetta, bought it with the speedo and odometer not working.

The car has about 360,000kms on it and the previous owner said he had the master cylinder rebuilt and when he got it back the speedo and odometer stopped working but the weird thing to me is that the odometer has set itself to 333333.

Is there a reason the car would set itself to that before I go pulling fuses and checking the speed sensors and wiring.

Thanks

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
There may be a problem with someone banging the sender from the transaxle. It is unfortunately easy to do since the mechanic would have been in the general area and not have been careful enough. IN this case, the connector may be broken, or the wire might be broken - it is hard to tell, particularly without photos. Or even with photos.

Why the odo would set itself to all 3s is something I can't answer. A VCDS would tell you if the ECU thinks that is the correct mileage as it keeps a tally separate from that shown on the dash.

Cheers,

PH

Rytheman

TDI
2013 Jetta stage 2 Malone Tune, 2002 Jetta
Ok thanks I'll check the sender out... I checked the fuses they are all good.

I have a VCDS what section do I go into to check what the ECU thinks the mileage is?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
EDC15 EDC16 mileage checker, on VCDS main screen.

And yes I agree check the VSS connector atop the diff portion of the transmission case, down low, near the firewall.