www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:08   #166
Tweak3D
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
The honk is annoying to me. I'd prefer an alarm beep, but I assume that isn't an option. If there is a light flash to confirm that might be good enough. Still would prefer a beep. Oh well.
Have to replace the horn with the siren to get this. I did it as it annoyed me so much. Fairly easy install with a DIY that can be found here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Siren-Install
Tweak3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:33   #167
Darth_Furious
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak3D View Post
Have to replace the horn with the siren to get this. I did it as it annoyed me so much. Fairly easy install with a DIY that can be found here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Siren-Install
Me too. I used the DEI 514n siren for $12. Seemed complicated at first. What I did was unscrew the passenger wheel well (the back side, towards trunk) pull the well out and then saw the siren. Lock the car to hear and confirm the horn. I snipped the wires and left the horn intact. I took the wire and pulled it up to the engine bay. I removed the rain tray by the passenger windshield and pulled up that wire. I crimped the wire to the siren (Black/yellow stripe is [+]) and screwed the horn to an existing screw in the engine bay where I found room. Done. LOVE the mod.
Darth_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:52   #168
Tweak3D
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Furious View Post
Me too. I used the DEI 514n siren for $12. Seemed complicated at first. What I did was unscrew the passenger wheel well (the back side, towards trunk) pull the well out and then saw the siren. Lock the car to hear and confirm the horn. I snipped the wires and left the horn intact. I took the wire and pulled it up to the engine bay. I removed the rain tray by the passenger windshield and pulled up that wire. I crimped the wire to the siren (Black/yellow stripe is [+]) and screwed the horn to an existing screw in the engine bay where I found room. Done. LOVE the mod.
This will work fine. Just for clarification, the OEM siren has a battery backup built in and communicates directly with the CECM and allows for other alram goodies to be added. If all you want is the noise, then by all means do just the siren, much cheaper Just wanted to clarify
Tweak3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:28   #169
Vidgamer
Veteran Member

Interesting. So, you can just swap out the horn for a siren? Yeah, I saw the other pages recently on adding the siren, and it seemed fairly involved; I've done work like that before, but I can't say I'm too excited about it. I'll probably just turn off the honk for now, but I might like more information on just simply replacing the siren. Why not replace it at the same spot as the original horn?
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:38   #170
Darth_Furious
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
Interesting. So, you can just swap out the horn for a siren? Yeah, I saw the other pages recently on adding the siren, and it seemed fairly involved; I've done work like that before, but I can't say I'm too excited about it. I'll probably just turn off the honk for now, but I might like more information on just simply replacing the siren. Why not replace it at the same spot as the original horn?
1st... There are 2 "horns"
[#1] is triggered by the steering wheel
[#2] is the lock/unlock confirmation/alarm

[1] is under the rain panel by the windshield.
[2] is bolted to the fender behind the right wheel well.

I replaced #2. I didn't want to remove the wheel well. I just pryed it open enough to snip the wire and stick my hand to push the wires up to the top opening. Much easier. Took under an hour. You can drill off the original horn and replace it in the same spot...more work
Darth_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 17:03   #171
Stephenjl

TDI(s): Golf Mk6 6M

Old post so you've probably found your answer. Make sure you do a reset in the MFI under the convenience lighting category. That worked for me.
Stephenjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:01   #172
Biggu
Veteran Member

Curious, how did you get the roof to slide back with the comfort options? I must have missed it in the programming.
Biggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:42   #173
dubidoobs
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.0 Running MPG; Combined avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specsalot View Post
I haven't done much with mine. VW doesn't want you to disable the annoying horn honk when you lock the car with the key fob. VCDS does it via long code helper. I posted a how to in someone's thread last summer. Originally this could be done (earlier years) on the MF display. Now those menu choices are gone.
I was able to turn off the lock audible confirmation thru the MFD...it was one of the first things I ran into before I got a VCDS...is there something special with mt 2010MY?

IIRC it was under the convenience option(?)
dubidoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:05   #174
t_b

TDI(s): 2013 TDI

Does anyone know if there is a way, via VCDS, to turn off the "DRL" notification on the speedo without disabling the DRLs themselves?
t_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:34   #175
cd_booth
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35/45

I have a good one. I was not able to find an answer by searching...

Is it possible to disable the safety feature that only allows access to the MFD setup menu when the vehicle is stationary?
cd_booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 13:23   #176
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not even close to the old TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_booth View Post
Is it possible to disable the safety feature that only allows access to the MFD setup menu when the vehicle is stationary?
That would be one of the Darwin mods...
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:20   #177
cd_booth
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_MacCara View Post
That would be one of the Darwin mods...
No. You have a touchscreen radio, don't you? Same thing if not worse.
Old September 12th, 2012, 15:40   #178
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not even close to the old TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_booth View Post
No. You have a touchscreen radio, don't you? Same thing if not worse.
I'm not the one wondering how to use it while driving...
My passenger typically does the channel surfing & nav entries on the touch screen. It would be pretty hard for a passenger to operate the MFD screen while you're driving - they'd probably end up in your lap trying to see.
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:43   #179
cd_booth
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_MacCara View Post
I'm not the one wondering how to use it while driving...
My passenger typically does the channel surfing & nav entries on the touch screen. It would be pretty hard for a passenger to operate the MFD screen while you're driving - they'd probably end up in your lap trying to see.
I don't think that's very realistic. What if you don't have a passenger? I'm not really arguing against the fact that's it probably not the best idea but if manufacturers believe touchscreen radios are safe to use while driving then what's wrong with allowing the driver to navigate the MFD setup menu when it's directly in their field of view?

I think the MFD is in a safer spot compared to the touchscreen radio and you don't have to remove your hands from the steering wheel to navigate it.

I've searched before and I've never seen a way to allow it via VCDS. Anyone?
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:55   #180
mcracer516
Veteran Member

I did a couple of these mods on my 2013 JSW. Everything I did works fine, but now if I try to go back into central electronics I get communication errors. I can get into anything else no problems, but even when I scanned for codes I got the following

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: None
VCID: 55AA463BBC9BAFB0223

No Faults Found
or DTCs not supported by controller
or a communication error occurred

Address 46: Central Conv.
Cannot be reached

Anyone know what I need to do to get this so that I can get back into it?

I found it Address 09 - Central Electronics:
If this module does not communicate, unlock all vehicle doors and try again.

Last edited by mcracer516; November 18th, 2012 at 08:39.
mcracer516 is offline   Reply With Quote