www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 12th, 2018, 10:06   #1
bananaman82

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg
Default Turbo Problem

My car started making this siren like sound with a sudden lose of power and threw the "glow plug" light into a flashing frenzy. I suspect the turbo. My DPF has been "unclogged." I just have a few questions. ALSO, I seem to be losing coolant quite frequently, about once a month I top it off with VW G-13 or Distilled water.

1. Does the oil cooler have anything to do with the turbo?

2. Any advice on replacing/rebuilding the turbo?

3. What COULD be the problem?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by bananaman82; July 16th, 2018 at 07:43. Reason: Added information regarding problem in original post.
bananaman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 20:11   #2
PRY4SNO

Fuel Economy: Impressive

1. Yes. But, why do you ask?

2. More info required to determine relevance, see below.

Have you pulled codes with VCDS or equivalent?

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 15:26   #3
bananaman82

No I have not pulled the codes yet. I am pretty sure my oil cooler/lines are leaking oil. I ordered the xtool Vag401 to read the code. But it hasnt come in yet.
Old July 17th, 2018, 15:51   #4
the_janitor

Had the same symptoms as you on my 2011. Mine eventually went into limp mode and had the car towed to the dealer. Turned out to be the actuator. The dealer replaced the entire turbo along with the actuator. Everything covered under the post-fix extended warranty. Thank god. Hopefully your dealer will do the same for you.
the_janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2018, 18:37   #5
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

No to DIY rebuild of turbos. Replace it.

I recommend YOU DON'T DRIVE THIS CAR ANYMORE.... The turbo can fail and send crap down the pipe into the DPF and CAT and EGR Recalculation Valve and destroy them. It can also pipe engine oil out the tail pipe so fast, all engine oil can be drained within minutes. A failed turbo can do awful things on the same order of a failed HPFP....

gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 09:18   #6
Wascally Wabbit

TDI(s): 2010 TDI

Actually sounds like the turbo has failed and depending on how it failed there is likely metal in the intercooler. When mine went I had the replace the intercooler as well because they could not get all the metal out after repeated flushing. Wasn't worth the $300 savings to risk losing another turbo at $4200 installed. Mine had all your symptoms exactly. It never went to limp mode. I could drive it but it sounded like it had a clown car siren on it and had power loss.

Do not drive it. See all those missing blades. Plus that piece was still loose inside the turbo housing flopping around as well as the fan on the other end of the shaft that broke which would just add more metal fragments everytime it was driven. Any of that metal makes its way into the intake and it's pretty much game over.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; July 21st, 2018 at 09:33.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2018, 07:13   #7
bananaman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_janitor View Post
Had the same symptoms as you on my 2011. Mine eventually went into limp mode and had the car towed to the dealer. Turned out to be the actuator. The dealer replaced the entire turbo along with the actuator. Everything covered under the post-fix extended warranty. Thank god. Hopefully your dealer will do the same for you.
I bought it used. So no dealer for me.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 07:15   #8
bananaman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
No to DIY rebuild of turbos. Replace it.
I recommend YOU DON'T DRIVE THIS CAR ANYMORE.... The turbo can fail and send crap down the pipe into the DPF and CAT and EGR Recalculation Valve and destroy them. It can also pipe engine oil out the tail pipe so fast, all engine oil can be drained within minutes. A failed turbo can do awful things on the same order of a failed HPFP....
Car was towed and has been parked. Trying to decide if I should take it to MF Auto, whom I trust and have worked with before, or just attempt to replace a new one myself.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 07:16   #9
bananaman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Actually sounds like the turbo has failed and depending on how it failed there is likely metal in the intercooler. When mine went I had the replace the intercooler as well because they could not get all the metal out after repeated flushing. Wasn't worth the $300 savings to risk losing another turbo at $4200 installed. Mine had all your symptoms exactly. It never went to limp mode. I could drive it but it sounded like it had a clown car siren on it and had power loss.

Do not drive it. See all those missing blades. Plus that piece was still loose inside the turbo housing flopping around as well as the fan on the other end of the shaft that broke which would just add more metal fragments everytime it was driven. Any of that metal makes its way into the intake and it's pretty much game over.
I have not removed the old turbo yet. Trying to decide if I can replace a new one myself or if I should just get a local shop to do it.
Old August 6th, 2018, 18:58   #10
bananaman82

I ran the code tonight and got "000665 Boost Pressure Regulation Control Range Not Reached." Any advice?
Old August 6th, 2018, 19:07   #11
fastalan
Veteran Member

You didn't accept the VW emission fix? Had you took the emission fix offer, this turbo problem would have been simple warranty issue fully covered by VW.
fastalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 14:14   #12
bananaman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalan View Post
You didn't accept the VW emission fix? Had you took the emission fix offer, this turbo problem would have been simple warranty issue fully covered by VW.
In a previous reply I explained that I bought the car used and was not eligible for the emission fix as the previous owner had already registered the car to be fixed. Something like that, I tried to register for it and was not eligible.