questions about tandem pump and vacuum

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Sorry for all the info up front. I was following a post last week with a problem with low vacuum, brakes and tandem pump. My son came back from vacation yesterday and he came by and we thought it was time to check my vacuum lines since the last time he drove my car that scared him when the brakes didn't work very well. We found several holes in the turbo and egr lines had holes that looked like they had been burned into them. We have to get some new vacuum line and wondered what kind we needed, silicone, rubber or fabric covered? Also what size should we use? We found on this site 3mm, 3.5mm and 19/64th? Just want to this to work like it should with the least amount problems installing and ongoing. What should the vacuum be at idle and at cruising? You guys helped him in the last couple weeks with his intake problems. My car is an '04 Beetle with a BEW and DSG and love it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Take a short section of the line you need to the auto parts store and tell them you want vacuum line the same size as your example. It is sold by the foot from a roll and is rubber which is fine. Maybe a 4' piece or so should do the trick.

Take the old lines off one at a time so you don't get were they go mixed up.

Last edited: