#3 Injector problem - P1246

Rytheman

TDI
2013 Jetta stage 2 Malone Tune, 2002 Jetta
Hi first time posting! I'm having an issue with a TDI I just picked up. I'm getting a check engine light and car is running rough and hesitating once in a while and has very little power because it's in limp mode.

Scanned the car and got P1246 - needle lift sensor G80 implausible signal - intermittent.

So I Ohm tested the needle lift sensor and got ~100ohms, so I was thinking it was the wiring from the ECU to the injector, started the car with the injector unplugged and got a different code for open circuit or something like that. Cleared the codes plugged the injector back in and got the p1246 code again which is leading me to believe that the wiring to the ecu is good.

Is there a test I can do on the wiring from the ecu to the injector voltage or amps? and if so what is the numbers should I be looking for?

If the wiring turns out to be okay is there anything else I should check before changing the injector out or sending it in to be cleaned and calibrated?

Thanks!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It's usually damage to the wires at the plug or close by, if it's only hanging together by a couple of strands the signal wont be right. I'd peel back the covering and check the sheathing on the wires for anything obvious.

Rytheman

TDI
No it's not the 2013 sorry it's a 2002 ALH I just picked up for fun, I checked the plugs they look fine but I'll trace the line back and check for any damage.

If the electrical cords were damaged wouldn't I get the ground code thrown instead of the implausible signal?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Can't say for sure about unplugging the sensor. Does sound funny.
I would check from the ECU plug pins 101 blue and 109 grey.
Check each to ground also.
Wiggle the wires while checking.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
If the wire is damaged it can increase the resistance which can affect the signal. Same as a dirty connection etc

Rytheman

TDI
So I disconnected the injector, traced the line back and saw no issues.

Ohm tested the injector again and got about 110 ohms wiggled the wire around nothing changed, then I tested the voltage coming in from the ecu got ~12.9 volts and again wiggled the wires around, the voltage never changed.

Plugged the injector back in went for a spin and everything was fine no codes got thrown.

So I'm guessing the connection was loose? I didn't have any contact cleaner so I didn't clean the plug but everything seems to be okay now hopefully it doesn't come back.