2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Does a 2015 Passat SE Manual have an electronic Diff (XDS) I see that its not checked in VCDS yet I can enable it and set it to strong.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
electronic diff is fancy words for advanced ABS, to simulate the GTI PP "haldex wunder-diff" that everyone raves about. It's not an actual mechanical diff.

Yeah you can activate it but wear on your pads may increase due it dragging and inside pad on aggressive cornering. All depends on how much you toss your car around.

TDI
'15 GSW DSG SE
Hey all, resurrecting this thread a little bit. I haven't dug through this entire thread, but wanted to see if anyone has shared my experience.

Last summer, I sold my 2010 Golf back to VW and immediately purchased a CPO Sportwagen that had the phase 1 fix complete. I have not received any notification or letter regarding phase 2 of the fix, and it's been more than a year since I purchased the car.

My question is: who do I need to reach out to? The claims website? The dealership? And for those that also purchased a partially fixed TDI from a dealer, can I expect the second portion of the restitution?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Hey all, resurrecting this thread a little bit. I haven't dug through this entire thread, but wanted to see if anyone has shared my experience.

Last summer, I sold my 2010 Golf back to VW and immediately purchased a CPO Sportwagen that had the phase 1 fix complete. I have not received any notification or letter regarding phase 2 of the fix, and it's been more than a year since I purchased the car.

My question is: who do I need to reach out to? The claims website? The dealership? And for those that also purchased a partially fixed TDI from a dealer, can I expect the second portion of the restitution?

Just go to the dealer for the fix, and no, you don't get any restitution for buying a post-fix car.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Well - this weekend, I took a 450 mile round trip to visit my family in my Phase 2 completed 2015 Golf. No complaints, 41 MPG (not bad considering I was pretty much running 5-10 MPH above the speedlimit (55-75 MPH) most of the trip. No untowards behavior from the car.

I guess you could say I'm satisfied with it.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well - this weekend, I took a 450 mile round trip to visit my family in my Phase 2 completed 2015 Golf. No complaints, 41 MPG (not bad considering I was pretty much running 5-10 MPH above the speedlimit (55-75 MPH) most of the trip. No untowards behavior from the car.

I guess you could say I'm satisfied with it.

Good deal. I need to schedule this one of these years.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
While backing out of the driveway this morning my car shut off while I was hitting the brakes. Never had that happen before. It started right up and I drove 50 miles to work. Did phase 2 about 2 weeks ago. Hope it was just a fluke.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While backing out of the driveway this morning my car shut off while I was hitting the brakes. Never had that happen before. It started right up and I drove 50 miles to work. Did phase 2 about 2 weeks ago. Hope it was just a fluke.
Gah! I'm scheduled for Phase 2 on Friday. :eek:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Smashed Ixnay this is the only negative I have noticed after doing the phase 2 on my 2015 Passat. Sometimes if I put the car into reverse right after starting it, it dies. If I let it idle for a few seconds, it seems to help. This started now that we have cold mornings. Other than that, I am happy with the results and this doesn't seem to be a big deal as long as it doesn't get worse.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Smashed Ixnay this is the only negative I have noticed after doing the phase 2 on my 2015 Passat. Sometimes if I put the car into reverse right after starting it, it dies. If I let it idle for a few seconds, it seems to help. This started now that we have cold mornings. Other than that, I am happy with the results and this doesn't seem to be a big deal as long as it doesn't get worse.
I had this same issue last winter with my 2015 Passat SEL Premium TDI, before Phase 2 (but after Phase 1 - didn't have the car pre-Phase 1). Actually, I think my situation improved slightly after Phase 2, but last year it was worse in cold weather, and the depths of winter this year hasn't yet begun.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I didn't know this was a thing then. It was just odd that as I was hitting the brakes to stop the car and put it in drive that it just turned off. It really confused and worried me for a minute, but then it started right up and I ended up doing about 130 miles after that without issue. I'm in central FL, so we haven't had any cold weather here yet.

I hope it doesn't keep happening, because I'm pretty happy with phase 2 overall.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I didn't know this was a thing then. It was just odd that as I was hitting the brakes to stop the car and put it in drive that it just turned off. It really confused and worried me for a minute, but then it started right up and I ended up doing about 130 miles after that without issue. I'm in central FL, so we haven't had any cold weather here yet.

I hope it doesn't keep happening, because I'm pretty happy with phase 2 overall.
I think your situation is a bit different than a cold start and the engine stopping after putting it into reverse. My experience with a slightly faster running engine (at cold start and up another notch when releasing the brake to start reverse) is that the transmission tends slam the clutches closed, causing a jerk backwards and also snubs the engine out.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Mine does that with just phase 1, cold start only. 15 GSW

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
I've read quite a few pages, but just checking in anyhow. My impression is that the Gen 3 fix is fairly positive.

I am potentially interested in 2015 GSW SEL with DSG.

I test drove a DSG SEL wagon a couple of months ago, and I liked it enough to consider. That one sold, but there is now another good one available locally with 38K, and just turned in this past August.

Does anyone else have updated or new feedback on a fixed DSG GSW's they'd care to share?

Thanks!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Mine does that with just phase 1, cold start only. 15 GSW
My 15 GSW didn't do that after phase 1 nor does it do after phase 2.

That does not seem "right" or like something you guys should have to live with for the rest of your ownership.

peppy2.0

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
In reading through this thread, I have a question for you guys. My 2015 GSW TDI is due for CA SMOG. I bought the car after Dieselgate with the phase 1 already done. Car has 41k miles (DSG).

If I read some posts correctly, since I passed 40K in mileage, should I wait to get phase 2 done till I'm closer to 70K (I think it was something to do with an extended warranty)?

If the answer is yes to wait, can I still pass SMOG without phase 2 done? I made an appointment for next Tuesday, but may cancel.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
DSG cars were at 40k miles and you can get it done when ever you want. I wouldn't necessarily put it off for too long though. There is a part A and a part B to this as your mileage is low. Part A installs a sensor and some pipe for it and programming. Part B adds a new DPF and some other stuff. You should only be getting part A done now and go back at some point undefined in the future to get a new DPF and stuff for part B. CA SMOG should have no issues passing you as is in my opinion, but I live in Texas so I am sure someone from CA will also weigh in.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
You're cleared for smog in CA. There should be a sticker under your hood indicating phase 1 is complete and your vehicle is in compliance with CARB and Federal regulations.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Had my Phase 2 fix completed yesterday at 60,400 miles. Absolutely no difference in the car’s behavior, maybe slightly smoother shifts? Dropped my car off on a Tuesday morning, and the fix was completed by Wednesday evening.

Some interesting things of note, my dealer told me they have been doing ~40 Phase 2’s a month. Also had to sign three different documents certifying that my dealer did in fact give me a loaner (they did).

All-in-all, I’m a happy camper. My dealer even mounted and installed my new Alltrack skidplate as a courtesy while they had it apart and on the lift.

TDIBoulder

TDI
96 Passat Wagon,2010 Jetta Sportwagon, 2015 Golf Sportwagon
TDI Gen3 Phase 2 AEM

Bought a brand new 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagon with Phase 1 completed before they could let it off the lot. I keep getting recall notices for Phase 2. It past Colorado emissions test after only Phase 1 fix. A few questions:

1) If it past emissions, do I have to get Phase 2 done?

2) Does Phase 2 affect performance or mileage?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No you don't have to get it done unless your state requires it. They had to be one of the few states that didn't accept the diesel gate bribery money though. Whether it affects performance or mileage depends on who you ask it seems. It is all over the place. Some say yes, some say no and some say no difference. It probably will affect your extended warranty though. As you get none if you don't get the fixes done, IIRC. Your choice.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
And some say it actually makes a slight (very slight) positive difference. My 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium mileage seems to have increased by 2-4%, no sound difference, no shift difference. One could say as the miles increase (I got mine with 11,000 miles post Phase 1, now has 37,000 miles post Phase 2A), the drivetrain is still breaking in, so mileage should improve. At the very worst, it made no difference. One the plus side, your Emissions Extended Warranty coverage (which on paper looks fairly good) is extended again after you get Phase 2, so that is also an incentive to get it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is always the greater of the two. So if the original extended warranty is longer that has precedence over the after warranty and vice versa.

timfarn

TDI
2006.5 Jetta sold, 2015 Jetta 6MT
I had my 2015 Jetta TDI 6MT (phase 1 & 2 complete) at the dealer yesterday to replace the Adblue supply tube. Since the car only has 20,000 miles, I asked how they would know to notify me when replacement of oxidation catalyst was due, per:

If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

The service writer referred me to Steve, "their VW Guru". I posed the same question to him and he looked at me like I had two heads. He said they would replace only if needed. I referred him to the document language and he said he had never heard of such a thing. He was getting confrontational enough that the Service Manager stopped and came over, and he was also dumbfounded. "We have done hundreds of these fixes and I have never heard of this. And what difference does it make if it is an automatic or manual transmission?" I said you should be the ones to know. He said they would investigate and let me know. "Oh, and give us 10s on the survey...."

timfarn

TDI
2006.5 Jetta sold, 2015 Jetta 6MT
Your survey reminded me that you owed me information... Good call!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
I asked how they would know to notify me when replacement of oxidation catalyst was due, per:

If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement
It is quite surprising how many dealerships know nothing about how this actually works. I had one dealership tell me that if you get the 2A mod, that's it you get nothing else regardless of mileage. Here is the best answer I received from one particular service manager after asking the same question you did: "We don't really know how that is going to work as we have not gotten to that point yet. However, whenever you bring your car in for any service, mileage is noted, so VW will know roughly what the mileage is on these cars, and could send out notices based on that. However, for those that don't get their service at a dealership, this won't work".

LeahPharmD

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon (Bio-diesel), 2012 Golf TDI (SOLD BACK)
I bought a 2015 TDI Golf with Phase 1 done in 6/2018--- I have approx 25,000 miles on it.. I haven't heard anything from VW about Phase 2 fix--- should I call the dealer? or the VW settlement line?