www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 6th, 2018, 15:12   #1
hangman

Fuel Economy: 50 Highway
Default Under hood insulation blanket tabs are coming out

Hey fellas

Iíve read some other threads about some of the problems like this.

Someone mentioned that another company is making these and theyíre actually better than Volkswagen brand.

I donít want to try to rig this thing but Iím looking for a better replacement?

Would someone please let me know where I can get a better under hood insulation blanket for my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen?

Thanks!
hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 15:54   #2
Graham Line
Veteran Member

One that mice won't eat?
Graham Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 15:51   #3
ksing44
Veteran Member

The OEM replacement is much improved compared to the original on my 2010 Golf TDI. I'm not sure when it was improved, but your comment about the tabs makes me think you have the older version like I had. The new one is lighter and more rigid. It's more foam-like than fibrous. It has a metal heat reflector too. It also doesn't droop like the original. It's a great improvement! I don't think you'll be disappointed. My new one is great!

new hood insulation thread
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!, The Fix - 9/27/17 @153,289 miles

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 16:59   #4
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Line View Post
One that mice won't eat?

2010 JSW. After a crash with a deer on the way to work in the dark at 5:30 in the morning at 2 below zero F. They replaced my hood and liner with the one described as being more rigid and had aluminum heat reflectors on it and the rodents still chose to chew it up. I really think the rodents liked my frost heater at night and loved whatever VW puts in for a flavor to these hood liners.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 21:38   #5
cliballe

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
The OEM replacement is much improved compared to the original on my 2010 Golf TDI. I'm not sure when it was improved, but your comment about the tabs makes me think you have the older version like I had. The new one is lighter and more rigid. It's more foam-like than fibrous. It has a metal heat reflector too. It also doesn't droop like the original. It's a great improvement! I don't think you'll be disappointed. My new one is great!

new hood insulation thread
I had the original hood insulation on mine swapped out under warranty because it had become droopy at the firewall over the turbo/DPF area. They put on the revised version you all are talking about and here several years later it too has begun to droop like the original. It did last longer than the first one which also made a nasty black stain on the engine cover that I had the dealership clean off. The revised one hasn't stained the cover again, but I'll probably replace the insulation after the free-er flowing exhaust I have been considering... and hopefully it won't droop again with the lower engine compartment temps that result!

Last edited by cliballe; July 14th, 2018 at 11:47.
cliballe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2018, 18:22   #6
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

See my thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=467085

Yep the original hood insulation had thick batting and got heavy and sagged badly. The new version of hood insulation is ridged and thinner and lighter. It will look awesome and stay put with existing clip locations. Yes it has aluminum heat shield in one place. Buy the new hood insulation and new clips if needed. The installation takes a few minutes.

I bought mine on eBay from an OEM online VW parts dealer. You may want to check you local dealer. They may give you a good price and have it the next day. Trust me this is the way to go.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; July 19th, 2018 at 18:26.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 16:48   #7
cliballe

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

Sorry OP, you've got a 2013 MKVI and I'm commenting on my MKV experiences.

Looking at gmcjetpilot's thread the design of your revised hood insulation is completely different from my revised insulation. You guys have several more (larger) tabs than I do.

Pictures of what I am talking about:

(tabs pop out of place)

(tabs pop back in place but fall right out when hood is only lowered and not closed)
cliballe is offline   Reply With Quote