Water in floor.

silver02

TDI
V W Jetta
HELP I have a 2002 Jetta. I seem to have a recurring problem with water getting in the front passenger side floor. It doesn't happen after every rain only after I finally get it all dry. It also gets damp in the rear but not to the extent as the front. I have looked at the heater core no problem there. Seems to start rite in front of the seat. Strange I know.

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
Door sills, windshield, sunroof? Get a water hose and get to testing. Alternatively I use a smoke machine at work from the inside and outside (2 different techniques) the vehicle to diagnose.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Have you modified the drain plugs inside the door jamb? Cut the ends off as debris can get caught and water will back up and you'll have all kinds of problems.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Sunroof drain nipples as LNXGUY is the first thing to check since there is a known design defect. VW lost a class-action lawsuit over issues related to this. One source of trouble is the connection between the sunroof drain pan and the hoses (above the headliner). The other is that the nipples can get stuck closed. cut the end of them off or at least a nibble so water always can dribble out.

Also, are there any mods on the car such as aftermarket fuel pump? The instructions for installing that have a person drill a hole through an area next to the cabin air filter. If a person messes up that job it will leak there. Cabin air filter inlet could also be a source if there is something wrong with that assembly.

A/C condensate drainage is a potential source but since your issue corresponds with rain - not likely in your case.

Do you have damage on the headliners? Is it a new car to you or do you know all the history?

My car has had some leaks - an act of a higher power as far as I can figure out so far. It only leaks either during heavy torrential rain or during long sustained rain. Garden hose soaks and car wash did not cause a leak for me. Water appears on the rear or front floor - have not been able to trace the source.

for other reference, I have had the same trouble, ongoing thread linked below- maybe just me documenting to myself. I am still actively working on mine. Would appreciate it a ton if you update on any resolution of yours.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419573

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Had this same problem and cutting the ends off the drain nipples cured it. Lots of water was backed up inside the hoses and water was leaking just below the hood release lever.

silver02

TDI
V W Jetta
I can run this thing through a car wash and not see a drop of water come in. I have cut the end off of one nipple in the front door jamb. It may not leak for a rain or two then there it is.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
You could try taking note of what angle the car is parked at. If you have a smartphone you can use a level app to note the front-back and side-side angles. a little tough to find a good spot to rest the phone on though...

Not saying your leak is the same as mine - but I have noticed with my car that neither a car wash nor an hour with the garden hose caused a leak. Light rain did not cause leak. Torrential downpour caused a leak as did a very long-lasting very light rain.

So... water must need to build somewhere or wet a surface and then it can travel. like... travelling along a wire harness or puddling somewhere and spilling over.

vetterdog

TDI
2005 Beetle
I'm having this exact problem with my 05 Beetle. Can someone tell me exactly where these nipples are? I have looked around and can't seem to find them. Many thanks!

vetterdog

TDI
2005 Beetle
Nope, I can't find them. Maybe it's me, or maybe the Beetles are different? All that I find are the hinges and the tube that the electrical passes through. I have pictures but I don't know how to load them on this forum!

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I think I have read before that the Beetle is different. Probably under the front fender? in which case to find it you would have to remove the wheel liner, I guess. I've never personally worked on one of those.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Yes, behind the front fender liners. The Beetle's A pillar is so far forward that the drain into the door hinge area isn't possible.

My Jetta was parked for the last three days. The carpet was dry before all the rain came to the New England area. The driver's floor is quite wet now.
The sunroof drains are clear and free. There's no wetness at the hood release side or under the pedals at the firewall, just where the heels of my shoes would be, as if I had actually driven with wet shoes.
Passenger and rear foot areas are always dry.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
My 04 Beetle has a leak that wets the rear floor on both sides but the front is dry. Any idea where that could be coming from?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Make sure you cut the nipples that are under the rear of the car as well, as these made water back up and leak on the rear floor board. Cut all (4) drain nipples, clean/flush out the 4 drain hoses and you should be good to go! Once or twice a year I like to run weedwacker line through each drain line to make sure theres nothing backed up that could lead to a potential clog. Good luck!

DieselBruce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Make sure you cut the nipples that are under the rear of the car as well, as these made water back up and leak on the rear floor board. Cut all (4) drain nipples, clean/flush out the 4 drain hoses and you should be good to go! Once or twice a year I like to run weedwacker line through each drain line to make sure theres nothing backed up that could lead to a potential clog. Good luck!
Remember to be careful with the hoses if you're trying to force water through! They aren't on very tight and can pop off where they fit on the sun roof.