Noise after bsm delete

jmann8686

TDI
2005 Passat bsm delete
So after a long couple of days doing a bsm delete on my 05 passat. I was able to fire her up for the first time. It has all new belts new water pump new tensioner pulley and idler roller. Got my kit from bora part. So I turned the key and it started right up with out a problem. Got out of the car and looked around the motor to make sure there was no leaks or anything out of place. It is running fine. No CEL. And it revs up good. But there is an odd noise coming from around the pulleys. You can't hear it anywhere other then right next to the camshaft and alt pulley. But the noise goes away when you rev up the motor. Just wondering if that is just new parts breaking in or is something wrong. Hope the video works. http://youtu.be/d9xCLa7hVVQ[/URL

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'm not hearing anything out of the ordinary. As long as you followed the instructions to a T, particularly setting the preload on the idler gear, you should be good to go.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
He installed a delte. No idler gear. Just did one myself. Had a low roar from the same area. Turns out is the altenator bearing (pulley is new).

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
It sounds like a bearing with not enough lube to me. Could be alternator (as already stated) or a pulley in the timing belt path.

jmann8686

TDI
2005 Passat bsm delete
The tension on the pulley was in the right place and I did the two turns of the belt before i put everything back on and it was correct then as well. The alt pulley was replace around 78,xxx miles. Actually the whole alt. was replaced. was replaced by dealer though so not to sure what pulley was put back on. And I do remember the sound it made when it went bad and to me it doesn't sound anything like it. Do new belts and pulleys make different noises compared to old ones. The noise does go away when the motor is revved up. It could just be me being paranoid as well. I really don't want to tear back into the car after all this.

Thanks