Engine Light On / Aftermarket Radio

bjiggs

This has to be posted here somewhere but I can't seem to find it... blast me if you must but I'm out of time and I need some help.

The engine light on my 2002 Golf TDI (45k mi) came on tonight while I was driving home. I pulled over and checked the manual and it mentioned that it could mean a problem with the emissions system. The light was not blinking but it remained lit for the rest of the 40min drive.

After installing a Sirius satellite radio last year, a local stereo guy informed me that I may have trouble passing an emissions test. Apparently, if this is true, Volkswagen (for some bizarre reason) decided to route some of the emissions electronics through the car stereo. Does this sound right? Could it be causing my engine light to come on?

Also, what damage can be done if I drive with the light on for a bit? The vehicle drives fine and I don't know if I'll be able to make it into the shop for at least a few days.

Thanks for the help!

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
Make sure the K-Wire has nothing going to it. This wire is part of the communication wire that goes throughout your car as part of the diagnostics. Some stereo installers end up hooking something up to that wire and it can cause problems. No, aftermarket radio should be connected to that wire. I would check that out as soon as possible.

detroitdieselwannabe

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
my cousin had an aftermarket shop install a stereo in her M3 1999 Jetta. $989.00 later, VW was able to send her to DEQ for emissions testing. The installer did something to the K-Wire. The dealership told her she should've taken it to them for installation. I doubt your dealer, if you take it there, are going to respond favorably to this.