Is B5 or B10 a possibility? what about B20?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I admit, I have been on TDIClub a long time, but I have been an "ALH All the Things!" kind of guy since the beginning.

I ran B20 in all of my ALHs and quite liked that aspect of the cars.
one of the stations I have access to has a selector of B5, or B10 or B20 available so its not too hard for me to get any of those blends.

I on a whim purchased a new 2015 GSW S DSG a week ago and am wondering if anyone in the real world is using any blends of Bio with this engine/emissions system.

I have a lot of catching up to do, but am not seeing a lot of information about them on the forum yet. is this system most like the 2012+ Passat engine/emmissions system>?

Any help, I will be filling up on my own this weekend for the first time and would like to start using B5 or B10 maybe even B20 if possible.

If its super BAD for the car and its injection systems I wont, but I needed to ask..

Thanks!

Aaron

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
I believe the manual says B20 max. I do know there are multiple safeguard's built into the ea288 to safeguard against increasing oil levels and water due to running bioblends

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
The manual has some language that basically says that you have to use the lowest bio content available, but if B20 is the only game in town, you can use up to B20 and still maintain your emissions warranty.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Does anyone have real world experience? There are two places I can easily get to. One is 28 miles and has the 5 10 20 selection, and other is 14 Miles but says it's a blend between b5 and b20 ... so not sure what I'm getting there..

Just wanna hear real world usage if possible.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Well, I did it.

Filled it up with 9.175 gallons of up to B20 soy biodiesel.

Pump says made with virgin soy in blends from B5 to B20.

Gonna be fun.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I was thinking that they said only B5 unless you are in Illinois where B20 is OK. Maybe there are some extra precautions needed with higher percentages as noted earlier.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
It's been a while but if memory is correct I believe the main reason for not recomending biodiesel on new diesels is oil dilution.

When the particulate filter goes into an active regeneration the fuel is injected on the exaust stroke. Some of the fuel gets by the piston rings and into the oil. With regular diesel fuel it's OK because it evaporates out of the oil. Biodiesel does not and the oil gets diluted causing lubrication issues after many miles . The bigger trucks can run b20 no issues because they typically use a separate fuel injector in the exaust for the dpf
regeneration and do not inject fuel on exaust stroke. Maybe up the oil change intervals?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I am only on my first tank of the up to B20, so plenty of time to determine if I should reduce my OCI to less than 10k.

who knows that signs to look for for a Regen? I think I went through one on Tuesday or Wednesday when I noticed the oil temperature was up over 220 and the MFA economy was lower than it had been on previous trips home from work in the same area.

I was driving very easily and there was no reason for the oil temperature to be so high.. is that a sign to look for of a regen? this happened on the prior tank of whatever Rotgut the dealer put in it at delivery.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Easiest way is to run an OBD2 dongle with your phone and measure EGTs, it's very noticeable when a regen starts. The highest EGTs you'll see normally are during a regen. Personally I wouldn't risk it, it will be harder on the DPF and although VW will cover the repair it's better not to break things in the first place. We've seen issues in markets without ultra low sulfur fuel such as Haiti (relief vehicles) and in central/southern america.

You'll probably be fine , but I'd spend a few more dollars for peace of mind and keep the biofuel mixes for VEs and IDIs.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I was driving very easily and there was no reason for the oil temperature to be so high.. is that a sign to look for of a regen? this happened on the prior tank of whatever Rotgut the dealer put in it at delivery.
Other than VCDS or similar way to view EGT, your oil temp and instant MPG is the best way to tell while driving. If you come to a stop, you will hear the fan running with an increased idle as well. I recall oil temps during a regen to be in the mid-upper 220s, probably touching 230 on a hot day with the AC running. The instant MPG readout would also be showing a 20-25mpg hit during that time.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Considering the warranty on the HPFP, etc, I'd want to stay in the bounds of what VW specifies exactly. VW certified oil only, and only the % bio allowed.

-J

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
So, no more than B5? I wasn't planning on using anything other than 507.00 5w30 low ash oil.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I would suggest that 5% be the max, and it might even be beneficial.
Know about 1-5% provides good lubrication, and is very common in many states (below 5% ((could be 2% not sure)) doesn't even need to be labeled in Massachusetts if I recall the rule right), but going more makes you a bit if a test case if anything happens unless you live in a location that REQUIRES ALL FUEL be sold with a higher​ blend rate.
The warrenty is very good, and IMO I would avoid doing anything to void it.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I have access to a b5 pump, it's just that it's 28 miles away..

Might have to stick to ps white... :(