Will mk7 gti calipers and brakes bolt up?

Chewyeti

TDI
15 GSW
Well, went for it and it all worked out.

Turns out, Calipers are nearly identical, and the carrier is different to space the caliper further outboard to accommodate the larger rotor.

Step 1:
Lift Car:

Step 2:
Show off size of GTI Caliper. Hand for scale:

Step 3:
Compare rotor size. 288mm vs 312mm iirc

Step 4:
Compare Caliper mounting, brake line fittings, etc before mounting....

Step 5:
Test fit:

Step 6:
Install lines and bleed:

Step 7: Admire, and drink beer.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Good info. Did the rear gti interchange also ? The rear tdi rotors look awful small.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I am not too familiar with the GTI but are these the brakes that come with the performance package or every GTI?

Chewyeti

TDI
15 GSW
I am not too familiar with the GTI but are these the brakes that come with the performance package or every GTI?
No, these are base GTI calipers. I got them as takeoffs from a GTI owner upgrading TO the Perf Pack brakes.

Performance Pack calipers have white GTI lettering on them, though these still look like a sizeable upgrade.
They are. Same caliper, different carrier, bigger rotor. More leverage / same pedal feel. Definitely worth the money.

Still pondering why the TDI wagens have such small rear brakes, when base golf/gti are bigger.

IRS vs Beam maybe?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I realize chewyeti likely sold their car, but going to revive this to ask if the calipers were certainly the same and that one might be able to simply upgrade the carriers all around with proper size rotors to get the same results...rather than purchasing all new calipers? The PP calipers look very similar to the non PP calipers from the GTI and thinking they're just larger rotors with different carriers as well.

I just had to replace my tires at 60k and bought some new wheels to go with them...the small brakes are less than desirable now in the new wheels.

My thought is to just purchase performance pack carriers and rotors/pads all around and be done??

Found this that somewhat answers my question. Looks like the non-PP GTI will swap right over, but the PP GTI uses a 60mm piston in the caliper vs a 57mm. I realize going to the 60mm piston would affect pedal travel, so am actually thinking keeping the 57mm stock calipers will be fine?

Last edited: