Inconsistent front end noise between 50 & 70km/h

pizzaman

Vendor
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI
Very strange noise. Comes from front (seems left) side between 50 and 70 km/h, noticeable above that speed but not so much. Sounds like someone’s blowing in empty beer bottle, inconsistent, comes and goes, sometimes stays… it’s faint, but it could become very loud, so my rear view mirror starts to vibrate. What’s more puzzling is that it is louder when it’s raining, and when dry I could disappear completely. I’ve noticed it about a month or two ago, nothing changed in the condition of my car: 2003 Golf TDI, new tires about 4 months ago, roof rack, 45,000km, nothing unusual…

The noise is not affected by sudden change of direction, applying brakes, weight in the car or accelerating within the speed range (50-70km/h). Comes and goes randomly and the only thing that changes its intensity seems to be water on the road.

I had similar vibration transmitted through the chassis of ’95 Dodge Neon when driving in deep water. Turned out to be water build up between the exhaust shield over the intermediate pipe and the floor. Quick fix with the crowbar took care of the shield and the noise at the same time…

I wonder if someone else experienced similar noise in a Golf. I haven’t been to the dealer yet, I try to avoid this place at any cost.

Any thoughts…?