RyanP's 02M 6 Speed Tranny Conversions for VW Golf Mk4 (A4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
I really want to do this conversion since my transmission is about to go but I do have a few questions though:

- What are the differences between the transmissions codes: DQY, EBJ and EGR?

- Are your 02M six speed transmissions any different than the ones I can get in Canada? My friend's 2002.5 VR6 engine just went and I may ask him to keep the clutch, transmission, drive shafts, starter and all the mounts. I'm a student and would really appreciate it if I can save on the shipping.

- My friend's clutch is fairly new, can I keep using it? Perhaps just use a new throw-out bearing and some sort of adapter for the engine side or a new flywheel? Maybe even the G60/VR6 conversion kit?

Cheers,

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Those 02J's just have different Ratios and are fitted to various model years.

The VR6 02M will have the totally wrong ratios and the bellhousing is different. The starter 'may' be the 2kw like a TDi but it could be 1.5kw like a 1.8T. The flywheel has a different bolt pattern too.

A G60 flywheel is too small for the 02M.

At best you could use the mount, linkage and Shafts.

Thanks!

Ryan

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
Hmm, so what kind of flywheel would I use when I change the clutch next time after I use the one I buy from you?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
The 240mm Dual Mass Flywheels are readily available in the USA, or I can supply them for a reasonable price as well.
SouthBend also do SILENT SMF Conversions which we can ship with the boxes to our US and Canadian customers.

Thanks!

Ry

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
Well I figure it may be easier for the both of us if I get the whole package from you. Right now I am just making sure I can find the 240mm SMF or DMF in North America. Funny that I have no idea if my car will last that long...
Are they usually used for 1.8T? Would this one work (don't worry I won't be skipping out on you, I'm just confirming that these aren't hard to get)?
http://www.fourseasontuning.com/product.php?id=728&product_code=06A105266P

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
The 240mm Dual Mass Flywheels are readily available in the USA, or I can supply them for a reasonable price as well.
SouthBend also do SILENT SMF Conversions which we can ship with the boxes to our US and Canadian customers.

Thanks!

Ry
Ryan, the only DMF that I know of here in the states is actually for the 1.8t gasser and not the same as for the diesel. No DMF here for the diesel applications on the 02M diesel trans as such. What i have is a LUK for the gasser 1.8T. Although the one I have works OK, I much prefer the genuine article Sachs for the diesel. It is MUCH smoother and the price from Ryan is on par or better than the gasser equivalent here locally in the states. For the daily driver with a power upgrade, go with the Sachs for the PD 150 that Ryan has or for much more power go with the new southbend setup.

Last edited:

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
Ryan, the only DMF that I know of here in the states is actually for the 1.8t gasser and not the same as for the diesel. No DMF here for the diesel applications on the 02M diesel trans as such. What i have is a LUK for the gasser 1.8T. Although the one I have works OK, I much prefer the genuine article Sachs for the diesel. It is MUCH smoother and the price from Ryan is on par or better than the gasser equivalent here locally in the states. For the daily driver with a power upgrade, go with the Sachs for the PD 150 that Ryan has or for much more power go with the new southbend setup.
Ah, good to know, I was worried if Ryan decided to stop exporting them, I'd have to forge my own :D

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
I'll be here for a long time! haha

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
If you get the new Sachs clutch, youll need a 9mm socket for the pressure plate bolts.
I believe the flywheel bolts are 12 point triple square 12mm.
As far as the 5 to 6 speed swap goes, the auto to manual swap pdf should have what you need to know for doing the 5 to 6 swap. Obviously you already have a shifter and clutch and also the wiring would not apply. I have done 2 auto to manual swaps and one 5 to 6 speed and next week I will do another 5 to 6. I tried to put the PDF together in such a way that it could be used either way.
You can use your old hydraulic line for the six speed if you gently tweak the line to route it towards the release bearing bleeder. Also if you get the ERF trans code then you have the holes on the left wheel well side of the trans to nicely fasten the power steering line using a standoff bolt and rubber lined clip. You will have to tweak this line a little to form it to the trans and clear the side skirting. You will need to make a brace to hold the hydraulic line as to prevent stress on the plastic bleeder. You can use the bolt with stud that is used to fasten the trans to mount.
I hope that helps.
I used these tools.
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=543
And...
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=581
So if I have a 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm, triple square set, will that be ok? I keep seeing something about a 9mm 12 point that isn't on the boraparts.com or metalnerd site.... Where can I find that? Also, what fluid will I need? GL-4 or GL-5? and what weight in the 6 speed? Thanks!

EMD_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
My 6spd finally got here.. About 6-1/2 hours ago.. The DHL driver was nice enough, to leave it sitting in the rain all day, while I was at work!

It's still raining, so I got as much water off as I could.. I then put a sheet of plastic over it..

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
My 6spd finally got here.. About 6-1/2 hours ago.. The DHL driver was nice enough, to leave it sitting in the rain all day, while I was at work!

It's still raining, so I got as much water off as I could.. I then put a sheet of plastic over it..
Nice of them to include a free wash!

So if I have a 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm, triple square set, will that be ok? I keep seeing something about a 9mm 12 point that isn't on the boraparts.com or metalnerd site.... Where can I find that? Also, what fluid will I need? GL-4 or GL-5? and what weight in the 6 speed? Thanks!
Yup should be fine.
I just have a standard 9mm deep well socket that I bought at Lowe's. It is the kobalt brand and it is a 12 point. It is not what's called a triple square type. It is what I use to fasten the pressure plate of a Sachs kit to the flywheel.
You SHOULD use only the OEM VW fluid part number G 052 171 A2. I used lubro moly but it felt notchy and i dumped it in favor of the OEM fluid VW speciflies and it now feels perfect. It is all i will recommend and as far as that goes, its what Ryan recommends as well. You will need 3 liters. I bought my oil at ESC tuning. They have a 3 liter kit part number ES#2142900. I also replaced the plug O rings while I was at it. The part number is N0438092 (es#7618).
Others have this stuff too I'm sure and prices may vary but here is where I got it.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Nice of them to include a free wash!

Yup should be fine.
I just have a standard 9mm deep well socket that I bought at Lowe's. It is the kobalt brand and it is a 12 point. It is not what's called a triple square type. It is what I use to fasten the pressure plate of a Sachs kit to the flywheel.
You SHOULD use only the OEM VW fluid part number G 052 171 A2. I used lubro moly but it felt notchy and i dumped it in favor of the OEM fluid VW speciflies and it now feels perfect. It is all i will recommend and as far as that goes, its what Ryan recommends as well. You will need 3 liters. I bought my oil at ESC tuning. They have a 3 liter kit part number ES#2142900. I also replaced the plug O rings while I was at it. The part number is N0438092 (es#7618).
Others have this stuff too I'm sure and prices may vary but here is where I got it.
Gotcha, so just a 9mm deep well socket. K. I got the triple square bits from NAPA today, so looks like tomorrow night/evening and Wednesday will be tranny-tastic. Can't wait! Gonna probably be doing the fuel sender 'mod' as well as checking my MAF while I'm at it with VAGCOM, as well as some other small little piddly things I've been putting off. This car goes through MAFs like no ones business. I wonder if I've got a short somewhere that is making my car eat them like it is?

EMD_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Ok guys..

I now have:

Ryan's auto-to-6spd swap kit

Tranny jack on the way

VAG-COM on the way

Engine support bar on the way

30mm 12pt socket

9mm 12pt deep socket

6, 8, 10 and 12mm triple square bits

two tranny plug crush washers part number: N0438092

3L Transmission oil Part# G 052 171 A2

Most important.... A warm and dry garage to work in!

Is there anything else I need, before getting this project started?

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Does that mean that you will be here on Thursday, to help me with mine??? :D
Ha! Probably not but feel free to give me a call with any questions you might have. Pm me for the number.

EMD_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Yup, a pot of coffee and a helper and you'll be good to go.
Good luck!
Unfortunately, I won't be having a helper on this job.. My son is with his mother in Michigan, so I'll be going solo on this one... He helped me do a tranny swap on a 93 Ford diesel.. I couldn't have done it, without him!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Some people have had problems getting the cruise control to work properly after the wiring changes in the auto swap. Matt-98AHU responded to such a post in another threat and his trouble shooting was spot on. I have included his response in the howto below just after the wiring tutorial section. I hope this will help someone in the future. Thanks Matt!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I just finished the 5 to 6 speed swap for bigD23 in his 2002 bug along with Malone stage 2.0 dynamic EGR tune and Titan 520 injectors.
Ryan, all went well and all of the parts were perfect! The sachs clutch operates like velvet! Thanks my friend!
Now what am I going to do?

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Due to some part allocation issues (engine lift) and some very festive and food filled holidays (Turkey day :D), it took me the better part of three days to get everything installed and buttoned up.

HOLY. CRAP. This car is now exactly how I always thought it should be!! Transmission and clutch are absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much, RyanP.

Some questions/lessons learned:

- LUK and Sachs clutch and flywheels are not interchangeable. Whoops.
- Where in the world does the backup light plug go? Can I get just the plug end from VW and wire in the new plug to my old wiring? The physical male/female ends are different.
- 2nd gear is slightly notchy, but I'm assuming it's because I went with the oil I got from BoraParts and not the VW oil. I think boertje said that switching makes a world of difference. I'll probably just live with it for now because that's close to $80 more of oil I'll have to get. Not gonna happen right now.
- I had to get a few more tools than I had originally thought, but dang, I love buying tools, so I just had to. ;). NAPA and Sears were able to provide me with just about everything I needed though. Awesome.

Thanks again for the tutorial and the help, guys! The car is back to being the dream I had always hoped it would be. And now I have a 6 speed so no reason to get another car. Yet.

MPG is about the same, maybe 1-3 improvement so far, still 39-42 or so. But I need to replace my fuel temp sensor (that just came in via UPS), I've got the INMotion stage 1 chipset, I have 17" wheels with snow tires, and my ski/bike rack on top. I'm driving about 2600 miles in the next few days to LA and then out to MT, so I may take the rack off just to see if I can get it back up to around 50 again.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you got it going.

Due to some part allocation issues (engine lift) and some very festive and food filled holidays (Turkey day :D), it took me the better part of three days to get everything installed and buttoned up.

HOLY. CRAP. This car is now exactly how I always thought it should be!! Transmission and clutch are absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much, RyanP.

Some questions/lessons learned:

- LUK and Sachs clutch and flywheels are not interchangeable. Whoops.
- Where in the world does the backup light plug go? Can I get just the plug end from VW and wire in the new plug to my old wiring? The physical male/female ends are different.

Yup, just get the end plug from VW and wire into your old wiring. For the part number, look at the plug on the brake master cylinder fill cap. Same one.

- 2nd gear is slightly notchy, but I'm assuming it's because I went with the oil I got from BoraParts and not the VW oil. I think boertje said that switching makes a world of difference. I'll probably just live with it for now because that's close to $80 more of oil I'll have to get. Not gonna happen right now.

I had the lubro moly oil in my jetta and it was quite notchy. Then I did my bug and used the VW spec oil. I was so impressed with how smooth it was, I dumped the lubro moly and filled with the VW spec oil. WOW, what a difference!

- I had to get a few more tools than I had originally thought, but dang, I love buying tools, so I just had to. ;). NAPA and Sears were able to provide me with just about everything I needed though. Awesome.

Thanks again for the tutorial and the help, guys! The car is back to being the dream I had always hoped it would be. And now I have a 6 speed so no reason to get another car. Yet.

MPG is about the same, maybe 1-3 improvement so far, still 39-42 or so. But I need to replace my fuel temp sensor (that just came in via UPS), I've got the INMotion stage 1 chipset, I have 17" wheels with snow tires, and my ski/bike rack on top. I'm driving about 2600 miles in the next few days to LA and then out to MT, so I may take the rack off just to see if I can get it back up to around 50 again.
I had about an 8 mpg penalty from the automatic in my jetta.

EMD_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Yup... Mine's now in too...

I'm still having a low power issue, but the car drives great now! Once I get my power back, The F350 won't see much use! Until camping season.. The Jetta wouldn't do much good, pulling the fifth wheel!

Boondoggle

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Manual, 2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed manual swap, 2002 Beetle TDI Manual
Can you quote me everything I need for a swap from a 2002 TDI automatic transmission and include shipping in USD?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Check with page one of this thread. All the options and pricing is listed. The exchange rate is roughly 1.6 times the £. Clutch pedals are plentiful and cheap at your local wrecking yard but I think Ryan can supply a new one too.
Last trans kit I ordered for myself made it from Ryan in the uk to my house in Idaho overnight.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Well I go to sleep and wake up and everything is already sorted for me, thanks Jack!

Some more happy 6 Speed customers!

Ry

Status
Not open for further replies.