Problem with axle height for rear shocks replacement

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
Started to replace lh rear shock per my Bentley manual. Jacked it up, removed wheel, then attempted to raise axle height to the 4.9 inches specified in the manual. (so its set to correct simulated curb weight) I was able to raise the axle with jack only to 5.5 inches. At that point, the shock and or spring became fully compressed, and the whole rear end of car started to lift off the jack stands. Impossible to set it to the distance (from center of axle to to top edge of wheel well opening) specicied! I put wheel back on and put car back on ground. It measures 5.75 in. So is this not my cars' actual curb weight axle height?
But what is funny is that i then put about. 400 lbs. In the trunk, and axle height went to 13 in. to top edge of wheel well, and it still could have compressed even more without bottoming out it seemed!

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
The only thing measured in inches on a German car is the wheel diameter. Everything else is metric.

STD ride height is about 380mm (wheel centerline to fender lip)

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
The bentley manual does the conversion for me stating the distance both in mm and in inches. You are confirming the bentley number, so this doesnt tell me anything i dont already know.

Last edited:

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Somehow you lost 10 inches. 380mm is 14.96 inches.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Install shocks with bolts left loose, install wheels, lower car to the ground so that the weight is on the wheels, go underneath and tighten bolts. Same as any other car. You can set it down on wood blocks under wheels if you need more room to work.

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
And i dropped 10 inches off other measurements. At 15.5, when lifting the axle, it was "bottomed" and the rear of car began lifting.