Air filter box

Fatherofthree13

TDI
2000 golf
The previous owner removed the air box and rigged a conical air filter right off the maf sensor. Its hose clamped right to it. The vacuum intake is the same way, they siliconed a tiny conical air filter to the end of the vacuum line. It just hangs there. I am trying to find the air filter box to put things back to normal. My question is will an air filter box off a gas engine work in my tdi? Its a 2000 tdi with the 1.9. The junk yard has 10 jettas and 2 golfs, but i dont know if any are TDI’s. It would make it a lot easier if they were interchangable? Any help is greatly appreciated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We don't do gassers, but it appears that both the 2.slow and 1.8T use the same filter as a TDI. So the airbox and snorkel on a Jetta and Golf should be the same. New Beetle may be different. However, I'm not sure the MAF is the same, and the MAF to turbo inlet pipe is certainly different. But you may already have those items.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Gas ones are different, as they usually have SAI so there is a big port for that tube plus most do not have the nipple to vent vacuum from the EGR and VNT control solenoids.

I may have a TDI airbox at home, though, and I am local to you. Let me check tonight.