ALH - Low Compression #1 and oil leak between block and head

sgg93

TDI
2012 Passat 6AT, 2012 JSW 6MT
After a broken timing belt, I swapped the head on my ALH and did the full timing belt kit. The head that I removed had two dowel pins. I replaced with a rebuilt head, and installed with both dowel pins. After install, engine starts and runs, code for intermittent miss on #1. I also have a serious oil leak between the block and the head. Is it possible that the head I replaced the original with wasn't milled to accept both dowels and didn't seat properly? I can't think of any other reason it wouldn't seal. I've heard some ALH heads only take 1. Compression on the gauge checks low (though I didn't get good readings on any of them, 2-4 shows 200 or so on my gauge, 1 shows maybe 50). Head gasket installed facing up with tab and holes behind IP.

Anybody have any ideas?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
After a broken timing belt, I swapped the head on my ALH and did the full timing belt kit. The head that I removed had two dowel pins. I replaced with a rebuilt head, and installed with both dowel pins. After install, engine starts and runs, code for intermittent miss on #1. I also have a serious oil leak between the block and the head. Is it possible that the head I replaced the original with wasn't milled to accept both dowels and didn't seat properly? I can't think of any other reason it wouldn't seal. I've heard some ALH heads only take 1. Compression on the gauge checks low (though I didn't get good readings on any of them, 2-4 shows 200 or so on my gauge, 1 shows maybe 50). Head gasket installed facing up with tab and holes behind IP.
Anybody have any ideas?

Which head gasket did you use? 1, 2, or 3 hole version? Usually, you go back on with the same gasket hole number as the original. It relates to piston protrusion height.

Did you follow the Bentley guide on the torque sequence of the head bolts? It's suppose to be done over three series if i recall correctly. Did you use new bolts?

Last edited:

sgg93

TDI

Piston Protrusion measures .038-.043 across all holes. Originally the gasket was a two hole. I went back with a three hole. New bolts with the torque specs included with the Victor Reinz gasket (4 steps). I'm concerned I might not have gotten the bolt holes clean enough. Gasket, Block, and Head looked good. Bolts on the #1 side were noticeably looser than the others. No creak when loosening. I can post pics.

Last edited:

sgg93

TDI

As I get ready to reinstall it appears the #1 intake valve isn't sitting quite right in the head. Not sure if it's a valve or seat issue. Will talk to a machinist and update.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
As I get ready to reinstall it appears the #1 intake valve isn't sitting quite right in the head. Not sure if it's a valve or seat issue. Will talk to a machinist and update.
Might be informative to post a picture of it.

sgg93

TDI
Post updated... Basically the valve protrusion is much more in the back than the front. Not sure what to do with that.

sgg93

TDI
Bent valve?
Conversation with Frank06 today leads me to believe that. Nothing weird with the valve or the seat. I've got a couple lifters that look like they took impacts (linear marks across the lifter from the cam lobe). Thinking that I may send the head off for a refurb, cam/lifters. Not sure what went wrong here. It didn't hit on my engine, but I bought the head used and not sure what might have happened to it. All of the lifters spin free though, so no major damage to the bores.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it was me sending a head to Franko6, I would ask about a stage 1 cam, too.
Why not a Stage 2? I mean, it's not OUR money so let's just go for it!:D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Benefits of stage 1 on otherwise stock motor and cost?
Oh, no, you don't understand. You can't just slam this thing back together without doing a bunch of performance mods! We'll have you pumping this thing up. Think BIG! It costs US nothing! :D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Really, performance mods aside, a stage one cam will be slightly better than the stock grind and if you are replacing the cam, the cost of a stage one will be minimal over a stock grind.

Really great advise :rolleyes:. Do a bunch of mods that might cause premature failure and will detract from your goal which seems to be that you have an engine that does perform well and extremely important, will have the endurance to last a long time.

Talk to Frank Irving (Franko6) on the phone for some common sense recommendations for what ever your expectations are when you order parts. When you pump a lot of horsepower through any engine it can become a game of chasing your tail waiting for the next weakest part to fail.

From what you posted, I would not go back to the shop you went to.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I'd definitely send that head out... that looks a LOT like a bent valve and if you re-install it and it IS bent you're asking for a dropped valve some time down the road (usually just about the time you think it won't happen, like ~10k miles later) which has a decent shot at totaling the engine.

Second the reco to talk to Franko6

sgg93

TDI
I spoke with him Friday, I'm awaiting the label. Head stripped down to bare presently.