Adblue error....

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
I've only had this car for a couple weeks. Its a 2015 GSW TDi. It is a buyback sold by a VW dealer as a certified used car. 22800 miles when I bought it and 24200 now. I got a dinger and warning light with the Adblue error: your engine will not restart in 600 miles.
I'm a little suprised since I've been told that the adblue should last about 10K miles though with the computer fix from dieselgate and the cold weather it may get used up a little faster. Is it normal to use the whole tank in 1200 miles?
I looked in my parking spot for leaks and there are none I can find. I did notice this morning that there seemed to be a lot more vapor behind the car as I took a 90mile trip. Its not unusual to see exhaust condensation when the temps are below zero but this seemed a bit excessive as well as mileage dropping much lower than it has been. The trip via interstate and state highway averaged out at just over 30mpg per the dash. My return trip averaged 43+. The difference between the two legs was -10 deg this morning and 7-10 above on the way home.
Wondering if I'm hallucinating or if I should be worried.

Frank

amafrank

TDI
I'll be checking with the dealer on monday.....still under warranty.

Frank

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Sounds like they didn't fill it.

DEF is cheap. Go to WalMart, buy a cube, and fill up your tank.

Or wait all day at a dealer. Your call.

amafrank

TDI
I added about a quart of DEF and it overflowed. My guess is that the dealership did fill the tank and that its now full again. On the way to the store to pick up the fluid the warning was on. Now after adding a whole quart its not there. Probably have some sensor problem either in the tank or the exhaust system. Its obviously not low on fluid.

Frank

amafrank

TDI
Finally talked to the dealer and they said they've seen a few of these errors come in lately and the most common cause is a leak in the injection system for the DEF. I didn't see any of the crystal buildup of urea that they describe but have an appointment on monday to have it looked at. The light came on again over the weekend and I know the tank is still full.....my thought was that it might have something to do with the cold subzero weather we've been having...? Maybe I'll find out monday.

Frank

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Did you follow the procedure from the owners manual on what to do after you fill the adblue tank?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If it's overflowing from a quart, it's prob a heater, pump or sensor issues and the dealer will throw parts at it.

Let them do their work and motor on!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Did you follow the procedure from the owners manual on what to do after you fill the adblue tank?
The only post-fill procedure mentioned in the manual is to turn on ignition-only for 30 seconds for the car to recognize the refill. I think the target audience there is people already getting warning lights or who have been locked out due to ignoring all warnings during the ~1,500 mile warning period.

FWIW, I have topped off my AdBlue multiple times, never done the 30 second ignition cycle, and have had zero issues.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Same here - didn't realize there was a procedure. Filled twice and just motored along...no issues.

amafrank

TDI
Yes I did the on for 30 sec and off then start though I don't think it was necessary. It obviously wasn't the problem throwing the code. Since then I've had the light pop on and go off randomly with no pattern I can see. Different outside temps from -16 F to 40F in city or highway driving. The dealer said the leaks were usually readily visible as the blue goop crystalizes around the leak but I can't see anything. My guess is a bad sensor somewhere. I'm sure they're going to spend some time and maybe more than one trip screwing with it. The sensor proliferation on todays cars is the biggest problem.....sure wish we could get rid of the extra crap on the cars. 4 gallons of space is wasted for adblue that could be used for fuel. I miss the 500 + mile fill ups I was getting with the 2006 Jetta. This one isn't making 400 miles very often.

I'll post whatever I find out from the dealer.

frank

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The sensor proliferation on todays cars is the biggest problem.....sure wish we could get rid of the extra crap on the cars. 4 gallons of space is wasted for adblue that could be used for fuel. I miss the 500 + mile fill ups I was getting with the 2006 Jetta. This one isn't making 400 miles very often.
I'll post whatever I find out from the dealer.
frank
Welcome to the next millennium you old fart. The only constant is change and that is just the way it is.:( What worked in 1965 etc. is not gonna be the way of today, get used to it.

Last edited:

amafrank

TDI
It is tough being an old fart....but thats how it is.

The dealer did their thing today and couldn't find any reason for the light. There was only one code tripped only once even though it popped up a number of times. No leaks found, all sensors checked out...etc etc.
Oh well. gotta love those electrons.

Frank

dardares

TDI
VW Jetta TDI 2003
I've the same issues few week ago whit 2015 Golf Tdi. Adblue error, no start in 600 miles.

The OBD2 code was P20E8, for adblue pump pressure. The dealer replace adblue injector, fix leak from the pump, and change the pump itself. Now it's been more than 600 miles running whit no light or warning.

Major of the issues whit adblue is the pump according to many read on the web.If you're on warranty, go to dealer. If it's like mine, you'll have to let the car there for 1 week or 2, the time it's found the issues, and get the ok from Volkswagen to change the pump.

amafrank

TDI
Well I thought it was ok but we did a trip a week or so back and halfway to our destination the light came on again. It got down to 150 miles to no restart. The light of course went out prior to our appointment with the dealer and they found no codes set. Not much they could do with no trouble codes so we drove home a couple days later with no issues. Random warning lights....no real problems. Thats the worst and most annoying type of problems.

Frank

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
When I had the 20k service done yesterday I had them check for codes for ad blue- they found some and they ordered a new pump and will let me know when it comes in.

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Mine just came on at 600 miles. I added 2.5 gallon jug and drove 35 mils to work and it is still on. Is it a correct assumption that if a repair is required it is covered under the extended warranty from the lawsuit?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that is a correct assumption.

that or a tune could take care of the problem permanently.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Hate to resurrect this thread, but my wife's golf has been doing this for a couple years now, we have a check engine light with an error says adblue level implausible, I can read the level in measuring blocks, and it looks good.. occasionally we get the 600 mile warning, but it goes away by itself usually, last time it came on I figured I needed fluid, I only got 3 gallons in before it overflowed (truck stop pump on slow didn't trip its auto shut off) Here is the real strange part, its only on in the summer, if the temp drop under 70 for a week the code clears.

I really don't want to take it in because the closest dealer is a real sleazeball, they cooked up a bogus "contaminated fuel claim" to deny coverage of my emissions warranty over a cracked DPF and clogged EGR (code came on a few tanks back, and I keep scrupulous fuel records, station came back clean) so no way contaminated fuel had anything to do with it, but I digress..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Won't be cheap. Personally I would take it in. Pretty much a known item and can't really argue it is your fault and the warranty requires them to fix it.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You in Mass? there's countless dealers all within a stones throw, traveling a little bit won't do much harm. Remember VWoA holds the warranty and pays the dealer, if you get flack form the dealer, strictly discuss things with VWoA.