200 Mile AD Blue Countdown to Death

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you really want to put the screws to VW, do the resistor mod, that will show them!

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
So fix it already and quit whining! This would be like asking to reset the fuel gauge that broke via VCDS . . . pretty silly! If the sensor fails, you get issues . . . but nothing you can fix in software!
Hmmmm, I'd like to think I was *****ing not whining. :p
Actually it would be "pretty silly!" to spend north of a grand on a 3rd car I don't have to drive. It would also be "pretty silly!" for you to come on here and insult me, but you sure did. Thank's for the advice "So fix it already", I can't believe I never thought of that option. SMH

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well, apparently not, since yo have not done it ... just pointing out the obvious ... Myself, I don't own or drive broken cars - things get dealt with asap . . .

Last edited:

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
Well, apparently not, since yo have not done it ... just pointing out the obvious ... Myself, I don't own or drive broken cars - things get deal with asap . . .
tadawson, you actually made me laugh!! Really, thanks:)!! Keep on putting money into your beloved VW and I'll happily turn mine in.

I'm out of VW's and finished playing with the child in this thread. Thanks to all that offered support. C-Wagen, if you ever need a hand let me know, I'd be glad to help you out.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, mine has been flawless, and this EPA poo flinging contest nothing more than either an inconvienience or a source of entertainment . . . certainly not a reason to part with one of the best cars I have ever owned . . .

And am I the only ones that note the newbies are always the ones most likely to get butthurt at the most appropriate solutions to thier problems?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yup, mine has been flawless, and this EPA poo flinging contest nothing more than either an inconvienience or a source of entertainment . . . certainly not a reason to part with one of the best cars I have ever owned . . .

And am I the only ones that note the newbies are always the ones most likely to get butthurt at the most appropriate solutions to thier problems?
Thank-you. I Totally agree finally somebody here makes some sense.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...sigh...I'm not at all a newbie, over 225k miles on 4 different CRTDIs.

I'm 62, so my experience is...well over 1.5 million miles on various cars, very knowledgeable of each one. I try to put 150k miles on every vehicle I own.

The negativity toward the CR design is hardly new. Ask any committed long-term VW TDI owner or guru. They've all (mostly) been saying the same thing for 7 years.

The CR was predicted, by the old guard, to be troublesome, fragile, and short-lived. I now see the wisdom in their prediction.

I'm done with VAG. Anyone who has read my posts will know that I've been very loyal toward VW. I've been hammered by some by my constant "wait and see" attitude. I've been supportive of the "clean diesel" concept, and have done my best to know every aspect of the design.

This is an incredible forum, by far the best I've encountered. I will miss the sage advice of the gurus.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen negativity on just about every diesel platform that has gone CR. People fear change and the higher complexity. They also fail to notice the vast improvements in other areas, and overall, I think the claim that "the CR is troublesome, fragile, and short lives" is largely a myth . . . The EPA mandated emissions stuff is not a part of the CR design (although CR was required to get an engine clean enough to be able to be treated). So, for folks to gripe about the emissions stuff may have some merit, but CR? Not really . . . folks *****ed like crazy when Cummins went CR . . . now with many in the 500K plus mileages, the myths are falling . . .

And maybe this is *my* age, but what I don't like are the incomprehensible video-game dashboards that seem to be popping up everywhere, and especially the Asian cars . . . . I'm a technology guy, but I still hate those . . .dedicated controls you can grab and manipulate without looking dwarf the "touchscreen of death" that takes focus off the road any day . . . but I guess the kissies want "CarTendo" so video games are what we get . . .

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I should clarify: My 2009 JSW build is solid, 106k miles, nary a squeak or flex noise, with no AdBlue system to fail, but it's the one model year that might very well be impossible to make EPA compliant.
The NMS feels flimsy by comparison, road noise is nasty, even with quiet tires, plastic bits in the interior feel cheap. The SEL level seems to mask some of these shortcomings.
Pre-NMS Passats were built to a higher standard, and cost more, of course.

As for my statement that the VW CR is "troublesome, fragile, and short-lived", do a bit of reading at TDIClub (that would be here!). Find a committed "guru" that doesn't agree with the statement. It's not about fear of change, it's about execution. VAG is rumored to have been shooting for a 150k lifespan for these cars. Even Bosch got into the fray, asking for stricter, higher levels of lubricity in (drier) ULSD, publishing a paper asserting that their own HPFP, manufactured for VAG, would have an estimated lifespan of 150k miles if run on (then current) Amuhrican ULSD.

(I agree with your negative take on "incomprehensible video-game dashboards".)

Last edited:

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
I'm going to update for the sake of those looking at this thread. After parking my 13 Passat for about 6 weeks I couldn't stand it anymore and decided to take a stab at fixing the beast. Based on my codes, everything pointed to a failure of the ad blu injector. I pulled the injector and OHmed it and it was showing an open circuit. I searched for the part and only found the dealer to stock it. I brought the old injector and my voltmeter. the new one OHmed out so I bought it. shortly after install the countdown went away as well as the CEL. Bear in mind this was a P2047 code as well as a P2048,P2049. Basically It was showing a short to ground and a short to positive. A small amount of investigating found the issue.

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
Good!

Thanks for the update!. I hope this fixes it until buyback (and hopefully beyond, for whoever buys it after, if it is not crushed). This for sure help us to know another "failure mode" and a solution for it.

Good luck!

BTW, you mentioned almost 300$ for the sensor. Not cheap, but more reasonable than having it fixed at the dealership...

Last edited: