High aluminum in oil analysis

CMac

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6MT
Unless you test a sample of oil BEFORE it goes into the engine so you get a proper baseline these reports are pretty useless. Many of the new detergents and lubricants that get put into oil have a metallic content, if you don't know what level the oil started with, you don't know how much the oil has gained.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Unless you test a sample of oil BEFORE it goes into the engine so you get a proper baseline these reports are pretty useless. Many of the new detergents and lubricants that get put into oil have a metallic content, if you don't know what level the oil started with, you don't know how much the oil has gained.
My guess is that's why the oil analysis company asks for the type and viscosity of the oil used. I'm sure they are privy to this info.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My aluminum numbers:
10k miles: 62
25k miles, 5k on the oil: 70
28k miles, 8k on the oil: 82
35.5k miles, 7.5k on the oil: 100
38.7k miles, 10.5k on the oil: 137k

I haven't reported the last UOA to my dealer. So far, they're intrigued, but aren't willing to pursue it further. (My turbo has been "singing" since 7k miles...)
sorry guys...calm down...don't know where that "k" kame from.
Gee...137,000ppm...isn't that aluminum siding?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've never actually asked, but I can't imagine a company as well-known and respected as Blackstone is throwing numbers at us w/o a baseline from a VOA.

I'm going to phone Blackstone on Monday morning and ask them how many 2012>>>Passat vehicles they've tested.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
They don't. He means he doesn't know anyone doing UOA's.
Bingo.
Interesting, considering we have a group of people in this thread that have provided UOA results.
We are an extremely small subset of enthusiasts on this forum. I'd say less than 1% of owners are on forums like this, and of the 1% on this type of forum, a high percentage of us don't do these types of analysis. So, even in 50 people here paid for a UOA, compared to the total numbers of TDI drivers out there...it's a tiny, tiny fraction of a %.

What he's getting at is what sample size is Blackstone using to create their "average"? If they've had a dozen new Passat's oil analyzed, it is such a small sample size that creating an average to use to alert owners saying that it is high level of AL isn't really relevant data to be basing their observations from.
Yes, thank you. That's exactly what I am trying to say.

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
VOA and UOA for 2012 Passat

hi!

i had a problem with the service advisor at the dealership where i puchased my car as i approached the 40K mile mark. their quote ($1200.00) for 40K mile maintenance left me cold (they insisted on including maintenance i didn't need and had non competitive pricing for the items i did need). at that point i decided to split the tasks up and give the work to other local vendors. "Oil Can Henry's" did the oil change w/ my oil & filter.

at that time i changed to:

Pentosin
Pento Super Performance III
SAE 5W30

from the Castrol product that the dealer used. as i approached 50K miles i started oil analysis w/ Blackstone. my military experience told me to include a sample of the virgin oil. here is the Blackstone report:

note that it showed aluminum (Al) content right from the bottle.

here is the latest UOA for my 2012 Passat taken at 70K miles:

the metals content seems to be settling down slowly without any obvious changes in maintenance regimen or driving style. the car continues to perform well averaging almost 45 mpg over the 70K miles of mixed driving.

i don't know what to make of these UOA numbers. i've been driving VW diesels continuously since 1981 (with good luck). i have great faith in the basic engine design. however, this is the most technologically complex vehicle i have ever owned and the possibility of running into expensive repairs does give me pause. for now i have decided to drive more, worry less and keep a watchful eye on things.

bob.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
hi!

i had a problem with the service advisor at the dealership where i puchased my car as i approached the 40K mile mark. their quote ($1200.00) for 40K mile maintenance left me cold (they insisted on including maintenance i didn't need and had non competitive pricing for the items i did need). at that point i decided to split the tasks up and give the work to other local vendors. "Oil Can Henry's" did the oil change w/ my oil & filter.

at that time i changed to:

Pentosin
Pento Super Performance III
SAE 5W30

from the Castrol product that the dealer used. as i approached 50K miles i started oil analysis w/ Blackstone. my military experience told me to include a sample of the virgin oil. here is the Blackstone report:

note that it showed aluminum (Al) content right from the bottle.

here is the latest UOA for my 2012 Passat taken at 70K miles:

the metals content seems to be settling down slowly without any obvious changes in maintenance regimen or driving style. the car continues to perform well averaging almost 45 mpg over the 70K miles of mixed driving.

i don't know what to make of these UOA numbers. i've been driving VW diesels continuously since 1981 (with good luck). i have great faith in the basic engine design. however, this is the most technologically complex vehicle i have ever owned and the possibility of running into expensive repairs does give me pause. for now i have decided to drive more, worry less and keep a watchful eye on things.

bob.
Crap, I can't see your attachments!

What dealership quoted you $1200?

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
psd1:

--changed from .pdf to .jpg. try again please.

--bought my car from O'brien in salem. sale and warranty maintenance were good experiences. then they changed service advisors.

bob.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
That's strange I've seen previous Pentagon sp iii voa and I don't recall any aluminum.

For those with high aluminum how are you sampling? Extraction or during drain?

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
That's strange I've seen previous Pentagon sp iii voa and I don't recall any aluminum.

---my best guess is that i somehow contaminated the sample used in the Pentosin VOA shown in my post above. i poured that sample directly from a 5 liter jug into the Blackstone supplied sample container. i was careful....but spectrographic tests are VERY sensitive. my experience at a military SOAP lab has shown me that it wouldn't take much to get the Al levels shown. i discounted it and have never worried about it. aluminum is the 3rd most abundant element on the planet. just like silicon, it is everywhere. no telling how it ended up in that bottle of oil.

---my 50K mile UOA sample shown above was a "hot" "drain" sample. it was taken by the oil change tech as he drained the oil.

---both the 60K and 70K mile UOA shown above were "hot" "tube" samples pulled by me through the dipstick access using a Blackstone supplied pump setup.

hope that helps.

bob.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
flyboybob, is yours an auto or DSG? I wonder if the Aluminum can be tracked down to load and driving style differences.

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
flyboybob, is yours an auto or DSG? I wonder if the Aluminum can be tracked down to load and driving style differences.
--i bought the DSG and have been very happy with it so far. this is the first VW i've owned that did not have a manual shifting transmission.

--my driving style is conservative--probably a reflection of my age. these days i am more apt to lift off the accelerator than mash it if given a choice. i take it easy until the engine is warm but basically let the computer decide when to shift. i like having lots of torque in reserve and am not shy about using it when needed.

--we live a good distance from everywhere so the first and last 15 miles of almost every trip in this car is on nonstop country roads and freeways.

--at this time i do NOT believe that my driving style or transmission choice are responsible for the unusual metals numbers in this car's UOA. i have my suspicions about the cause but no evidence so i won't speculate. when i reach 80K this summer i intend to be more "hands on" about the maintenance. maybe then a closer inspection will turn up some pointers to the real issue. meanwhile the car is reliable, torquey and fuel stingy and the UOA numbers are trending in the right direction. so i'm watching things carefully and reading everything i can about these cars.

bob.

Nativefx

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Both my samples were taken as an extraction from the dipstick tube. I have the 6MT in my car. I may wait and take a sample at 7.5K and then again at 10K on the oil in the car. Given that many people are seeing high readings of Al it can at least give me an idea about whether my levels will begin coming down.

Then its just a matter of whether to try another oil and see if anything changes at the same intervals. The Pentosin looks interesting, especially given psd1's results, and obviously there are a lot of people who swear by M1 ESP. My sample at 7.5K, I will have roughly 70K on my car so I can at least see if the levels are starting to come down.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just spoke with Blackstone yesterday. As I suspected, the number of samples they have on file is small.

2009>>> CRTDIs (ALL engine types!): 412 samples (samples, NOT individual vehicles) The guy I spoke with estimated around 80 vehicles total.

They are currently discussing creating separate averages for the different VW CR engines.

Curiously, he commented that ever since the 2009>>>VW CR, aluminum numbers have been higher. This might need some further investigating. (hmm...my 09, at 70kmiles, has 22ppm aluminum)

Last edited:

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
--at this time i do NOT believe that my driving style or transmission choice are responsible for the unusual metals numbers in this car's UOA. i have my suspicions about the cause but no evidence so i won't speculate. when i reach 80K this summer i intend to be more "hands on" about the maintenance. maybe then a closer inspection will turn up some pointers to the real issue. meanwhile the car is reliable, torquey and fuel stingy and the UOA numbers are trending in the right direction. so i'm watching things carefully and reading everything i can about these cars.

bob.
The reason I asked is because the DSG I drove (albeit very briefly) let the engine pull at high load, low RPM. That's what you'd expect for a diesel, but I wonder if the high load is causing excess wear on certain components. Granted, I'm not sure where aluminum would come from but I doubt the bearings (which would be most suspect in high load, low RPM/low oil pressure situations) would be the culprit.

I bought the 6MT and I think I'm better about letting it use a little bit more RPM on long grades. I'm not sure it helps, but I highly doubt it's detrimental either.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
--i bought the DSG and have been very happy with it so far. this is the first VW i've owned that did not have a manual shifting transmission.
A little off topic but $1200 from the dealer for your 40k service sounds about right. Remember 40k is when the dsg service is due... the dealer likes to charge a lot for the dsg.

As for the oil analysis, I think you guys are worrying too much. I mean how many people are really getting their oil tested and who cares really? Do you go the doctor once a month to get a check up?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^No, I don't visit the doctor every month. However, if my turbo starts singing to me, and the dealer won't do anything until failure, a UOA might give a good tech something to go on, something to look for.
We're only trying to determine why the aluminum number is so much higher than previous generation CR TDIs.
UOAs are excessive for the vast majority of people. Those of us OCD types like to know more than the average person.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^No, I don't visit the doctor every month. However, if my turbo starts singing to me, and the dealer won't do anything until failure, a UOA might give a good tech something to go on, something to look for.
We're only trying to determine why the aluminum number is so much higher than previous generation CR TDIs.
UOAs are excessive for the vast majority of people. Those of us OCD types like to know more than the average person.

As for $1200 for a 40k service, it's very high. Actual materials are < $300 retail, and I'll say $900 for the labor involved is more than twice too high, including the DSG service.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A little off topic but $1200 from the dealer for your 40k service sounds about right. Remember 40k is when the dsg service is due... the dealer likes to charge a lot for the dsg.

As for the oil analysis, I think you guys are worrying too much. I mean how many people are really getting their oil tested and who cares really? Do you go the doctor once a month to get a check up?
$1200 is indeed very high for the 40k service. You're nuts to try and justify that price to yourself.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
No way!!!

The 40k service should not exceed $450 (at dealer prices, $200 at DIY prices) and the DSG service should not exceed $350 (dealer prices, $150 at DIY prices).

I feel sorry for anyone who pays more...

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta

As for $1200 for a 40k service, it's very high. Actual materials are < $300 retail, and I'll say $900 for the labor involved is more than twice too high, including the DSG service.
I understand the whole turbo whistle thing but how is that going to help you prevent the unavoidable.. if your turbo is going to fail, it's going to fail.
No vw tech is going to change your turbo out based on a high aluminum count.. most are willing to say that there isn't
anything wrong with your car unless there's a CEL but there's smoke coming out from under your hood..

Also keep in mind that, from what I understand and I may be wrong, these are the first cr engines with a dpf regen.. which makes them considerably different from my mkv jetta cr tdi

$1200 is indeed very high for the 40k service. You're nuts to try and justify that price to yourself.

No way!!!

The 40k service should not exceed $450 (at dealer prices, $200 at DIY prices) and the DSG service should not exceed $350 (dealer prices, $150 at DIY prices).

I feel sorry for anyone who pays more...
Idk what dealer you've been to but when I had to do my 40k service the dsg price they quoted me was ~650 just for the dsg service. So of course I took my car back and did it at home.

You're calculating labor based on pricing for parts.. well explain the timing belt service that costs at least 1200 at the dealer. When I can do it at home for ~300 in parts.

Do I agree with the 1200 for a 40k service? No. Go somewhere else. That is the exact reason I have learned to do things myself or have found a shop who I trust to work on my car.

*note* just called one local dealer and they quoted me $1050 for a 40k service on a 2012 nms passat tdi dsg

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Here another data reference for the OP. This was on a steady diet of Castrol 507. My aluminum, chromium, and iron rose to uncomfortable levels for me and so I traded out of the car. YMMV.

Schumi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just got my test results back today and the aluminum level was 62ppm at 38k miles. The oil had around 10k miles on it. It was whatever oil the dealer put in it at the last of the included oil changes.